PDA

View Full Version : Knife Shop Damage

Bill Harsey
04-03-2012, 08:43
We had some wind here a few days ago and the ground had been saturated by unusual amount of rain even for here in Oregon.
This cedar tree is resting on my knifemaking shop.
The real mess is inside with all the splintered trusses and ceiling broken downward covering stuff. Most machines are fine so far, found my small German made milling machine yesterday and it's scrap metal.

Cedar tree is 4 ft. at base and section resting on shop weighs 10,000 lbs. according to the timber weights and scale book.

This structure is beyond repair.

tonyz
04-03-2012, 08:50
I saw the tree picture a minute or so ago Mr. Harsey.

Sorry about the damage - looks fairly extensive - hope no one was hurt.

Just so happens we are taking down a few trees here today and are between cutting and cleanup.

Best wishes for a quick repair.

akv
04-03-2012, 08:54
I'm glad you're safe Mr. Harsey, between black bears, falling trees, and the thugs on the Ducks football team, Oregon seems a lively place. ;)

Bill Harsey
04-03-2012, 09:08
Winds came up more than they had been blowing and I decided to leave the shop, 10 minutes later the tree came down.
No injuries yet.

PiterM
04-03-2012, 11:01
OMG!!! Bill, I'm so glad you're safe my friend!

The shop doesn't look good... if there is any way I can help you just let me know buddy!

Darklight
04-03-2012, 15:38
What Piter said.
I remember this tree quite well...I'm glad you weren't looking at your knife blanks when this happened.
Please let me know if I can help by any means.

Best thoughts
Take care

Seb

Red Flag 1
04-03-2012, 18:08
Impressive photo! I am glad that there were no injuries. Thoughts and prayers out.

PSM
04-03-2012, 18:57
:eek: Wow! Direct hit. Could this be revenge for your logging days? ;)

Seriously, I'm glad that there were no injuries and I hope very little, if any, damage to the tools of your trade.

Pat

BrianH
04-03-2012, 18:57
Oh no! That's terrible!

However, this gives you an excuse to build a much sweeter knife shop. I've drank too many beers in your old shop and it was, um, quaint :)

x SF med
04-03-2012, 19:15
Oh no! That's terrible!

However, this gives you an excuse to build a much sweeter knife shop. I've drank too many beers in your old shop and it was, um, quaint :)

Ah, yes, there are a few memories for me in that shop... but it can be rebuilt, stronger, faster, better... :D

Bill, the offer still stands - free labor if you need it.

Tatonka316
04-03-2012, 21:28
Brother Bill!

ANYTHING - ANYPLACE - ANYTIME!!! I can make bullet pens in Oregon just as easy as Colorado ... pop smoke and vector me in!!!

molon labe

DesertRat
04-03-2012, 22:40
I am sorry for your loss but grateful that y'all did not get hurt. On a side note I did not know that Cedar trees grew that big. That thing is freaking huge!!

Sigaba
04-03-2012, 23:57
Mr. Harsey, I was sorry to read about your shop and I'm very glad that you're all right.

hoepoe
04-04-2012, 00:18
Sir

I'm sorry for the damage, but glad no-one was hurt.

Stay safe

Hoepoe

SF_BHT
04-04-2012, 05:03
Old Ship RIP... THERE IS A NEW SHOP ACOMING :D

Bill Sorry for your lose but think positive you will have more room for us to drop by and have beer's.

I bet we can get a crew together for a shop raising.....:munchin

This crowd knows how to use tools and build Base Camps if you do not mind guard towers and MG and Mortar pits.;) Do not worry we can keep in check the 18C's

Diablo
04-04-2012, 07:35
Bill,
So glad you and yours are safe. Sounds like all is OK save the milling machine. Maybe that cedar could be sold to the local mill to help recoup mill replacement costs a little?
Hope you are rebuilding soon.

BigWave
04-04-2012, 10:15
"Cedar tree is 4 ft. at base and section resting on shop weighs 10,000 lbs. according to the timber weights and scale book."

We're dodging twisters and trees down here in the South, but when I lived in Oregon trees did not attack in that manner. Usually, the worst calamities that we had to contend with from the trees were the people hugging them (and those spotted owls). I am glad that no one was injured and am certain that you will build bigger and better. Cedar makes for beautiful building materials. I hope that I can stop by the next time I am in the great Northwest.

All the best,

Dave

Barbarian
04-04-2012, 10:28
Wow. That's awful. Glad you're alright, Mr. Harsey. I sure hope you had the shop insured. :eek:

Bill Harsey
04-05-2012, 08:04
Hope everyone in Texas made it.

Thanks for all the kind words.
Shop building is insured and company is trying to get out of paying.

Today we shore up front wall on outside to try and keep the damage to a minimum when the tree is lifted by crane off the shop.

Machine to do this weighs 80,000 lbs because of long reach needed and have to let the ground dry out a bit first so when the outriggers go down they don't sink out of sight. This is a real mess.

longrange1947
04-05-2012, 08:15
Bill, know your positive out look will overcome!

All insurance companies try to play the "Act of God" stuff to get out from under. Beat them up! :D

Gypsy
04-05-2012, 17:02
Winds came up more than they had been blowing and I decided to leave the shop, 10 minutes later the tree came down.
No injuries yet.

Thank God. There is one thing that cannot be replaced and that is you. That said, I'm really sorry this happened to you and that you've lost your shop.

twistedsquid
04-05-2012, 19:36
limited addition cedar handled harsey whittler coming soon? includes signed print...

Kit Carson
04-05-2012, 19:41
Bill, sorry to hear about the shop damage, but glad you and your family are ok. Material things can be replaced.

booker
04-06-2012, 13:31
We had some wind here a few days ago and the ground had been saturated by unusual amount of rain even for here in Oregon.
This cedar tree is resting on my knifemaking shop.
The real mess is inside with all the splintered trusses and ceiling broken downward covering stuff. Most machines are fine so far, found my small German made milling machine yesterday and it's scrap metal.

Cedar tree is 4 ft. at base and section resting on shop weighs 10,000 lbs. according to the timber weights and scale book.

This structure is beyond repair.

Glad you are okay, sounds like you have a lot of volunteers to build a new shop. Glad I'm not the only one who has a spare timber weights and scales book laying around.

You should incorporate the cedar into the new building.

Bill Harsey
05-03-2012, 11:37
Flying some tree off of the shop last week. Near 5 ton in that chunk alone.
Log was rigged so it picked up at same angle it was resting on my shop to keep it from breaking more stuff underneath.

Still have to figure out how to brace inside of front wall so it won't fall over when I jack open the front door to move stuff.

greenberetTFS
05-03-2012, 13:51
Sorry to hear about your shop Bill,but I'm sure you'll came back with a new and better one.....;)

Big Teddy :munchin

CSB
05-03-2012, 15:16
Five tons of cedar ... that's a lot of knife handles or display plaques.

Damn tree should be made to pay. :)

Gypsy
05-03-2012, 15:31
I'm with CSB...make that tree pay. Hang in there, Mr. H.

MR2
05-03-2012, 16:37
Damn tree should be made to pay. :)

Now that is damn funny.

orion5
05-03-2012, 22:24
Flying some tree off of the shop last week. Near 5 ton in that chunk alone.
Log was rigged so it picked up at same angle it was resting on my shop to keep it from breaking more stuff underneath.

Still have to figure out how to brace inside of front wall so it won't fall over when I jack open the front door to move stuff.

Congratulations, Mr. H, nice progress! I see you are under rain....again. Hope you can get all your gear and machinery out of there soon before the raccoons move in and set up shop. ;)

Bill Harsey
05-04-2012, 09:09
Things are kind of interesting, have plans being drawn up to be submitted for permits. Cost is going to be more than insurance will pay but that's ok, I'm also building a slightly larger shop with higher ceilings and more secure doors.

Oh yeah, and my insurance company dropped me.

Barbarian
05-04-2012, 11:11
Things are kind of interesting

That sounds like a slight understatement. I hope things go smoothly for you from here on out.

Gypsy
05-05-2012, 14:44

WHAT? Oh sure, like you willed that tree to destroy your shop? What company, we should all be sure to never use them.

DJ Urbanovsky
05-06-2012, 11:23
The SOBs are still paying out though, yeah?

Yes, tell us who the bastards are. If they're fine sucking up our premiums for years, only to drop you when you finally need them, then they don't need our business.

Things are kind of interesting, have plans being drawn up to be submitted for permits. Cost is going to be more than insurance will pay but that's ok, I'm also building a slightly larger shop with higher ceilings and more secure doors.

BigWave
05-07-2012, 07:51

Nice. A legal racket that we shovel money into for most of our lives and get no return. Down here post Katrina, if you did not already have home owners insurance with zero claims then you weren't getting any. Still applies; I was told recently by my agent that I did not want to file a claim for a problem that I had with my roof because I would be dropped if I did. A racket.

I wish you the best, Bill.

Dave

Les George
05-08-2012, 17:05
How you feelin Bill, need me to do that thing we talked about? :)

Sinister
05-08-2012, 21:55
Bill,

If you need another set of hands to move or tote for you give me a holler.

Dave

Bill Harsey
07-12-2012, 07:46
The only tool running in my knife shop this week.

All tools moved to various secure locations (finally).
I cleaned out 1800 lbs. of steel chunks, parts, rounds etc. from inside the shop and took them to the scrap yard.

Today is concrete destruction day in prep for new floor and foundation.

This still sucks.

greenberetTFS
07-12-2012, 10:20
Nice. A legal racket that we shovel money into for most of our lives and get no return. Down here post Quatrain, if you did not already have home owners insurance with zero claims then you weren't getting any. Still applies; I was told recently by my agent that I did not want to file a claim for a problem that I had with my roof because I would be dropped if I did. A racket.

I wish you the best, Bill.

Dave

Dave

I know what you're saying,after Katrina,Allstate only gave me $17K and then they dropped me........ If it wasn't for the SBA giving me the rest of the money I really needed I wouldn't have been able to finish repairs on my home........ The total cost was $44K and required me to take a second mortgage on my home..... Then I was unable to get insurance from any company and I was told to wait 3 years..... The state of Mississippi created a special pool of insurance for people unable to get private insurance and I took it even tho it cost me 3 times more than what I was paying Allstate.........:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

Bill Harsey
07-12-2012, 10:23
My shops steel roof, just a couple years old, is headed to the scrap yard in the long dump truck.

Team Sergeant
07-12-2012, 10:28
What's the next shop going to be made of?

Bill Harsey
07-12-2012, 10:31
Oh yeah, tracking what you all are saying about the insurance company's.

When I began the search for a new insurance company they did some homework and found out what kind of knives I am involved in.

Agent said and I quote, " You make knives for the military? They might be used to kill someone so we cannot insure you" Agent continued, "But if you made kitchen knives we could insure you".

Hmmm, I kept my mouth shut ad the next morning I called my Forensics investigator Doc friend and asked her what kind of knives she saw when investigating her crime scenes. Without hesitation she said, "Oh, they're all kitchen knives". ;)

Bill Harsey
07-12-2012, 10:32
What's the next shop going to be made of?

We are doing wood frame construction, drywall interior and steel roof.
A steel building in this climate is tough to moisture control.

MtnGoat
07-12-2012, 10:38
Bill, I was sorry to read about your shop. Glad that you're all right. Well I guess now you have some cedar for wooden handles.

Team Sergeant
07-12-2012, 10:40
Oh yeah, tracking what you all are saying about the insurance company's.

When I began the search for a new insurance company they did some homework and found out what kind of knives I am involved in.

Agent said and I quote, " You make knives for the military? They might be used to kill someone so we cannot insure you" Agent continued, "But if you made kitchen knives we could insure you".

Hmmm, I kept my mouth shut ad the next morning I called my Forensics investigator Doc friend and asked her what kind of knives she saw when investigating her crime scenes. Without hesitation she said, "Oh, they're all kitchen knives". ;)

Knives don't kill people, I do.

Barbarian
07-12-2012, 12:39
They might be used to kill someone so we cannot insure you

Good grief-what a bunch of Pxxxies.

Knives don't kill people, I do.

I can't even imagine the insurance difficulties you must have, Team Sergeant.