PDA

View Full Version : Greg Fronius

The Reaper
04-02-2012, 16:32
TR

Would you be so kind as to post this in the proper thread?

Thanks.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/04/01/world/rebels-kill-43-salvador-troops-and-us-adviser.html?pagewanted=all&src=pm

Twenty five years ago. Wow.

IMO Greg Fronius.

RIP, hermano.

Thanks for your service, and your sacrifice, in a cause most have forgotten.

See you on the other side.

TR

Dusty
04-02-2012, 16:59
RIP. Seems like yesterday.

JJ_BPK
04-02-2012, 17:25
Rip Warrior, Vaya on Dios..

Gregory Allen Fronius
Date of birth: November 3, 1959
Date of death: March 31, 1987
Place of Birth: Painsville, Ohio
Home of record: Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Silver Star

SYNOPSIS: Staff Sergeant United States Army, was awarded the Silver Star (Posthumously) for conspicuous gallantry and intrepidity in action while serving with the 3d Battalion, 7th Special Forces Group (Airborne), in El Salvador, on 31 March 1987. On that date, pro-Cuban guerrillas of the Marxist group Farabundo Marti National Liberation Front launched a well-planned, early morning attack on the base camp at El Paraiso, El Salvador. Staff Sergeant, an advisor serving at that base camp, rallied the defense in action that resulted in many casualties among the attacking forces, before he was himself mortally wounded. His actions were in keeping with the highest traditions of the military forces of the United States and reflect great credit upon himself and the United States Army.

Action Date: March 31, 1987

Service: Army

Battalion: 3d Battalion

http://militarytimes.com/citations-medals-awards/recipient.php?recipientid=104527

longrange1947
04-02-2012, 18:00
Rest in Peace Greg. You are still remembered and appreciated.

Peregrino
04-02-2012, 21:04
!Descanse en paz, Rojo! Su nombre y sus actos ahora son un parte integral de la fabrica de nuestra memoria comunal.

greenberetTFS
04-03-2012, 05:22
Gone,but not forgotten.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wn_iz...eature=related

God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior.....:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.......:(

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.........:(

I realize it's a Canadian song,however I believe most appropriate for this occasion..:(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrkgV5bl7kQ

Big Teddy

swpa19
04-03-2012, 08:25
TEDDY:

A copy of that poem is left at Greg Fronius' gravesite every Memorial Day.

greenberetTFS
04-03-2012, 14:15
TEDDY:

A copy of that poem is left at Greg Fronius' gravesite every Memorial Day.

Gotcha........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

x SF med
04-03-2012, 15:12
Greg was my Ruck Buddy in Phase I ... Miss ya Bro... can we trade for those peaches now?

DIYPatriot
04-03-2012, 15:31
As a humble and thankful citizen of this Country, RIP and thank you.

From the site I found (below):

"I always said he'd be something different than the rest," she said, glancing at the television news in the next room. "He was red-headed and left-handed. I said he'd either be a bum or something important."

As it turned out, Asbury's son, Staff Sgt. Gregory Allen Fronius, a 27- year-old Green Beret who spent many of his early years in this Fayette County town, did become something important.

http://army.togetherweserved.com/army/servlet/tws.webapp.WebApp?cmd=ShadowBoxProfile&type=Person&ID=42023

dr. mabuse
04-04-2012, 00:12
"I always said he'd be something different than the rest," she said, glancing at the television news in the next room. "He was red-headed and left-handed. I said he'd either be a bum or something important."

God Bless soldier, RIP.

Doc Diego
04-04-2012, 16:47
RIP Hermano

Kasik
04-24-2014, 18:39
It was my honor to meet Greg's brother now many years ago in Washington DC.

We were filming the "60 Minutes" segment on El Sal with Ed Bradley.

Not long afterward the effort to see the wrongful awarding of a posthumous Meritorious Service Medal (downgraded from the original Silver Star recommended after his death) was successful.

Colonel John McMullen (Retired) resubmitted that award as part of the original combat awards and decorations packet as championed by MG Ken Bowra (Retired) when Ken was USASFC CDR.

Colonel Gus Taylor, then CPT out of 3/7 in Panama, was the MTT CDR at the time Greg was KIA. Gus was of immense help with additional information and photographs he took the day after the battle. Gus passed these off to me in DC and we used the information to help get the Silver Star narrative properly written.

Not known but by a few was that Gus and another advisor from EP went on an extended hunt of FMLN guerrillas not long after the battle. From what Gus told me in Panama some years later (where he'd moved to) they were very successful. Payback is an M21 sniper system.

Greg's family was well pleased with the endstate arrived at in June 1998 when Greg's son went forward at the combat awards ceremony at Bragg to receive his dad's posthumous Silver Star.

Today we have a memorial stone and white oak tree at Arlington National Cemetery (Section 12, not far from where Colonel Rowe is buried up on the hill) and the war in El Salvador is a recognized U.S. military campaign.

This story in the Washington Post was published the day after that dedication ceremony took place - http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum/war/doc/w_doc05.html

Peregrino
04-24-2014, 21:29
---- Today we have a memorial stone and white oak tree at Arlington National Cemetery (Section 12, not far from where Colonel Rowe is buried up on the hill) and the war in El Salvador is a recognized U.S. military campaign.

This story in the Washington Post was published the day after that dedication ceremony took place - http://www.public-action.com/SkyWriter/WacoMuseum/war/doc/w_doc05.html

I was privileged to be among the guys attending the ceremony at Arlington. Thanks for attaching the article. Brings back a lot of memories.

Kasik
04-26-2014, 09:25
We probably met there on that day.

That was also when the first Armed Forces Expeditionary Medals for the campaign were awarded.

GEN Bowra came down with a group of operators from the 7th who'd served in El Sal, as I recall.

I visited our memorial a year ago. First time I'd been back since the ceremony. The tree has grown wonderfully and is both strong and beautiful. It's a very special place - I shared it with our 3rd oldest son, combat Marine, and he was wonderfully respectful and interested in how it came to be.