PDA

View Full Version : Glock 17

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 08:35
Opinions, please. In particular, if you got a free one somehow, would you keep it or sell it?

:munchin

NousDefionsDoc
10-02-2004, 08:46
Keep it. Good pistol for personal defense. You can never have enough guns.

Air.177
10-02-2004, 09:12
Keep it!!

You can't go wrong with a Glock. They may not be pretty, and they feel different at first, but they ALWAYS work.

Plus, Everyone living in a Reasonable state, can buy High capacity magazines. Mine happen to have Dawson Precision Extenders on them, giving me 23 round Magazines.

Sacamuelas
10-02-2004, 09:59
Its crap.. send it to me for proper disposal. ;) LOL

Agree 100% with NDD. Never to many...

Tuukka
10-02-2004, 11:30
Good general work pistol, goes bang reliably and has a wide variety of accessories available, holsters and such.

During the 5 year period i worked at a weapons shop/indoor range, never came across major problems with a Glock 17 and we sold hundreds of pistols.

Smokin Joe
10-02-2004, 12:23
Great reliable pistol. I just wish they didn't have a revolver trigger. But you can fix that too :lifter

magician
10-02-2004, 12:43
the Glock 17 is my preferred pistol.

I carried it for nearly a year in South America, in both jungle and urban environments. I found it concealable, qnd reliable, and it shrugged off both sweat and the humidity of the Amazon.

I also used "+2" mags with it, and I have to say that the ability to carry nearly 60 rounds in three magazines, one in the weapon, and two in the harness, endeared it to me.

I prefer it to all other Glocks.

Call me old school.

:)

Kyobanim
10-02-2004, 13:04
Since you're talking about Glocks, are the prices on this website good? Prices at the bottom of the page.
http://topglock.com/catalog/pistols.htm

Air.177
10-02-2004, 13:35
Those Prices are pretty good. Only place I have ever seen any cheaper was at Gunshows.

rubberneck
10-02-2004, 13:37
Since you're talking about Glocks, are the prices on this website good? Prices at the bottom of the page.

Yes, dealer cost for the Glock 17 is $433 and they are asking for $449 for a new one. I have a dealer who will get me what ever I want for dealer cost + $20 and he can't beat that price.

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 14:15
Thanks, guys. So, are we unanimous or does anyone disagree?

rubberneck
10-02-2004, 15:14

I'm buying one in the next week or two for SSP in IDPA. I have never emt a Glock owner that wasn't happy with thier gun. I am sure unhappy owners exsist but I have yet to meet one.

Kyobanim
10-02-2004, 16:27

Unanimous in what? That you're buying us all a Glock 17? Hell yeah! I down with that! :eek:

flyboy1
10-02-2004, 16:48

Kyo,
If you are looking to purchase, there is a gunshow at the Orlando Fairgrounds out on W. Colonial this weekend.

Kyobanim
10-02-2004, 17:13
Kyo,
If you are looking to purchase, there is a gunshow at the Orlando Fairgrounds out on W. Colonial this weekend.

I am looking to purchase but not till after the first of the year. Hurricane expenses and the upcoming holidays are putting everything on hold. Guess I need to win the lottery.

Roguish Lawyer
10-02-2004, 23:45
Unanimous in what? That you're buying us all a Glock 17? Hell yeah! I down with that! :eek:

LOL -- unanimous in saying the gun should be kept, not sold in favor of something else. There are two posters in particular who I am expecting to take a contrary view when they return . . .

The Reaper
10-03-2004, 15:10
Keep it. Good pistol for personal defense. You can never have enough guns.

Concur. It is worth it if it is free. Especially if you acquired it through a personal transaction.

Seems like I have heard those words before NDD.

My motto?

The only time you can have too many guns or too much ammo is if you are trying to swim.

TR

Team Sergeant
10-03-2004, 15:30

LOLOLOL a glock LOLOLOLOLOL

can't afford a real gun?

Hell is back....

TS

bberkley
10-07-2004, 21:01
RL,

Another good place for Glock stuff is www.lonewolfdist.com.

I've had a G17 for several years, and have not had any reason to regret purchasing it. I've also got a G34. I've also owned a G35, G23, and a G27 at one point or another.

I can't think of any reason NOT to own one, but it would sure suck to be in Kalifornia and stuck with 10rd mags. If you do get one, I've got 7 10rd mags that I would be willing to part with now that I have enough 17rd mags. ;)

Guy
10-08-2004, 08:02
RL,

I can't think of any reason NOT to own one, but it would sure suck to be in Kalifornia and stuck with 10rd mags. If you do get one, I've got 7 10rd mags that I would be willing to part with now that I have enough 17rd mags. ;)

Just try reading the laws on hangun ownership here. :eek:

I'm trying to get my PPO (Personal Protection Officer) card which will end up costing me $1000+.

The Reaper
10-10-2004, 20:55
Buddy of mine is in the reloading business and gave me a 500 round box of .40 S&W to play with.

I got a deal on a slightly used Glock 23, put a decent set of sights on, and took it out to the range to plink with today after we were done with the real guns.

First mag fired, slide locks back, one round still in the mag.

Check the weaapon for lube and my grip to be sure that I am not activating the slide release with my hands.

Second mag, same thing.

Third mag, fine, all rounds go bang.

Fourth mag, locks up early again.

I went back to my Para Ordnance for the rest of the session.

Is this to be expected of a reputedly fine piece of Austrian plastic?

TR

Roguish Lawyer
10-10-2004, 21:08
Buddy of mine is in the reloading business and gave me a 500 round box of .40 S&W to play with.

I got a deal on a slightly used Glock 23, put a decent set of sights on, and took it out to the range to plink with today after we were done with the real guns.

Check the weaapon for lube and my grip to be sure that I am not activating the slide release with my hands.

Second mag, same thing.

TR

You used the reloaded .40 ammo in the Para without difficulty?

The Reaper
10-10-2004, 21:10
You used the reloaded .40 ammo in the Para without difficulty?

I was shooting the Para with real ammo, .45 ACP (also his reloads).

He uses plated or jacketed bullets only, no exposed lead.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
10-10-2004, 21:13
I was shooting the Para with real ammo, .45 ACP (also his reloads).

He uses plated or jacketed bullets only, no exposed lead.

TR

I am no weapons expert, but you appear to have an uncontrolled variable. :munchin

The Reaper
10-10-2004, 21:50
I am no weapons expert, but you appear to have an uncontrolled variable. :munchin

I fail to see your point counsel.

This malfunction does not appear to be ammunition related, due to the fact that it occured at the same point in the mags, and the rest went boom.

I was shooting G23, had malfunctions, then switched to a Para P13. I did not compare the two weapons, you appear to have.

TR

Roguish Lawyer
10-11-2004, 01:40
I fail to see your point counsel.

This malfunction does not appear to be ammunition related, due to the fact that it occured at the same point in the mags, and the rest went boom.

I was shooting G23, had malfunctions, then switched to a Para P13. I did not compare the two weapons, you appear to have.

TR

My only point is that I would want to see the ammo used in another .40 caliber weapon to rule it out. YMMV, and MM ain't necessarily equivalent.

FILO
10-11-2004, 05:21

TR

TR, you are a SME in this area and thus need no pointers from me or I suspect anyone else on this board. ;)

Albeit my experience with the G23 has been flawless with 1,000 + rounds downrange. Additionally, I fire 90% reload and 10% factory.

Tuukka
10-11-2004, 15:14
All the failures i myself or others have witnessed or examined with .40 S&W Glocks have been mainly shooter or BAD ammunition resulted.

The only "failure" ive witnessed with .40S&W has been that factory barrels bulge the casing so it can not be reloaded again simply.

But if a particular example doesnt work, it doesnt work.

rubberneck
10-11-2004, 15:34

Second mag, same thing.

TR

How many different mags did you use and what was their condition? If the follower on the mag has been damaged in some way it can cause a pre-mature slide lock.

The Reaper
10-11-2004, 15:50
How many different mags did you use and what was their condition? If the follower on the mag has been damaged in some way it can cause a pre-mature slide lock.

Two used mags, appear to be in good condition, FML, non-drop frees.

TR

rubberneck
10-11-2004, 17:45

TR

Do you know the condition of the mag springs? I ask because Wolff extra power mag springs can cause the slide to lock open on the last round during the break in period. I would load up the mags and let them sit for a week and retry or borrow someone elses mags that they know work. At the very least you can determine if it is the mags or the gun.

Smokin Joe
10-11-2004, 17:48
I'm with FILO on this.

Sir, I know you have WAY more experience with firearms than I but have you checked to make sure the nose of the rounds are not moving in the magzine and inadverantly hitting the slide lock lever?

(Its the only thing I can think of without consulting my armor's manual)

bberkley
10-13-2004, 14:04

TR

Do the mags in question have a "U-shaped" or rectangular notch in the back?

If its a "U-shape", some of the newer followers for the .40 S&W magazines ride higher in the nose than the older followers. I had a pair of the 1st gen mags for my Glock 35, and one of them does the exact same thing with the new followers, and one does not.

The "U-shaped" notched mags are all 1st generation, NFML. They only have metal on three sides of the magazine.

Ralph Arredondo (www.arredondoaccessories.com) makes a follower for the Glock .40 mags that work really well with aftermarket springs. I never tried one in the NFML variety mags.

I have a contact with Glock who has a large collection of older parts, and I might be able to scare up some older followers to see if they will work, or you could just get some new full caps for about $20 or so by EOM October.

frznballz007
10-23-2004, 22:44
Apparently I am jumping into this thread a bit late but so be it.

If I came up with a G17 for free I'd keep it. I highly doubt I would spend my own money on one though.

Shark Bait
10-26-2004, 12:11
I had one of the early Glock .40 S&W's. I had three malfunctions during a qual shoot and went back to my Colt .45. I think I just had a lemon. Still, as an old team mate used to say "Steel is real!" If I'm going to carry plastic, I'll go with the H&K USP compact in .40 or .45. I carried one for several years and it was great. Whatever you decide to buy, go with the .40 or .45 and stay away from the .380 magnum (aka 9mm).