PDA

View Full Version : My new girlfriend

Snaquebite
03-25-2012, 18:59
This is one smart bird...

Sdiver
03-25-2012, 20:20
Ahhhhh .... the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage.

:D

Roguish Lawyer
03-26-2012, 08:18
Awesome, she's gonna make a MESS! :)

B36reconman
03-26-2012, 09:13
Awesome, she's gonna make a MESS! :)

Ya got that right..We have a green winged macaw and an african gray..The gray is a chatterbox and the macaw has a high pitched screech thats worse than my tinnitus..:rolleyes:

abc_123
03-26-2012, 09:26
Years ago my wife had friends that had a Grey. That thing was a riot.

Took the sound and the phraseology of the mother. No kidding sounded just like her.

It would whistle and call the dog and that poor hound would come running into the living room. And then start turning around in circles looking confused because there was noone there to pet him.

When the phone would ring, it woud yell, "Jimmy, get the phone! Jimmy get the phone dammit!. "

The microwave would beep and it would start yelling "time for dinner! come and get it!"

Guymullins
03-26-2012, 09:27
Ya got that right..We have a green winged macaw and an african gray..The gray is a chatterbox and the macaw has a high pitched screech thats worse than my tinnitus..:rolleyes:

My African Grey used to have an ear splitting screech. I cured it in two days with a water pistol. Every time it screeched, I gave it a blast from close quarters.

Team Sergeant
03-26-2012, 10:20
Buddy of mine had one, very very loud bird. If it didn't get attention it would go into the kitchen and open the cabinets and start pushing out the pots and pans onto the floor. We got back at him by chasing him around with a vacuum hose that looked like a big snake.......

JJ_BPK
03-26-2012, 10:36
This is one smart bird...

You do realize these over priced leghorn chickens live to be 600 years old?? :confused:
You better have a bazillion $$ trust set-up,, :mad:
Or a 4 qt cast iron pot, with appropriate veggies and bucket garni ... :D

Our neighbor has an African Grey. It sits out on their back porch. When we go out, it tries to get our attention by imitating their cell phone ring. If that doesn't work it will try the back-up warning horn on the garbage truck,, or cries like a lost puppy..

I call it Thanksgiving,, much to the disdain of my neighbor's wife.. :D

Red Flag 1
03-26-2012, 11:46
You do realize these over priced leghorn chickens live to be 600 years old?? :confused:
You better have a bazillion $$ trust set-up,, :mad:
Or a 4 qt cast iron pot, with appropriate veggies and bucket garni ... :D

Our neighbor has an African Grey. It sits out on their back porch. When we go out, it tries to get our attention by imitating their cell phone ring. If that doesn't work it will try the back-up warning horn on the garbage truck,, or cries like a lost puppy..

I call it Thanksgiving,, much to the disdain of my neighbor's wife.. :D

A few lightyears ago, in the days of pagers, we all chipped in on a blue for the boss. Spent the better part of a month teaching it to sound like a beeper, complete with a directory of different numbers. Last I knew he still had it.

RF 1

mojaveman
03-27-2012, 12:43
Nice lookin' bird. Could a person breed them and make any money at it?

Team Sergeant
03-27-2012, 12:56
Nice lookin' bird. Could a person breed them and make any money at it?

Only if they taste like chicken!;)

ZonieDiver
03-27-2012, 13:50
Ahhhhh .... the Norwegian Blue, idn'it, ay? Beautiful plumage.

:D

It looks like a Blue and Gold Macaw to me. (Or Blue and Yellow, depending upon who you talk to.)

In the summer of '69 (sounds like the start of a song, huh?), I was working at the hotel on Walkers' Cay, Bahamas. My title was "Assistant Manager" but my job was "relief bartender" and one of my jobs was to feed Paco, the rather large, and rather grouchy Blue and Gold Macaw that lived in a cage outside the bar. (He had a tendency to bite!) He had a large vocabulary, much of it profane, but rarely talked with a lot of people around. After a few weeks, when I would bring him his meal of bird seed, banana pieces, and orange slices, he'd come over to the edge of the cage and turn his head so I could scratch the top of his head.

Flash forward 15 years to summer of '84, when I returned for the first time in 12 years... to find Paco looking just as I'd last seen him in '72. (I wish I could have said the same thing about myself.) I walked over to the cage, and put my finger up to the bars. The current bartender about crapped, but Paco came over, turned his head, and let me scratch him.

Hotel closed in 2004 after two hurricanes in one year. It's never re-opened and the whole 98 acre island - hotel, marina, airstrip, etc. is in disrepair. I often wonder what became of Paco. So sad.

I have often thought of raising a small group of "filibusterers," invading and seizing the island, declaring myself "Emperor," and fending of the gnat stings of the BDF.

Who's with me?!?!