PDA

View Full Version : "Steels of the Zombie Apocalypse"

HaveBlue
03-17-2012, 17:13
Well, this should be fun. We'll see you in Eugene Mr. Harsey!

Peregrino
03-17-2012, 18:38
Bill - You've GOTTA tape that lecture for posterity. (And I want a copy!)

Oku
03-17-2012, 19:20

Not to mention "certain other knifemakers" with a long drive on Friday :p

Barbarian
03-17-2012, 20:36

I also would love a copy of this, as I can't afford to fly to Eugene.

mcarey
03-19-2012, 07:14
I can't wait to see your knife design for the upcoming "Zombie Apocalypse"!;)

Streck-Fu
03-19-2012, 07:37

Yes, please. I would even pay a fee to help cover production costs.

x SF med
03-19-2012, 16:23
Oh man.... I have to have a video camera for this one.... I always go to the knife steels material science seminar at OKC....

Bill let me know if you need any props... I do have zombie finger puppets (glow in the dark too) and the Troll available for hire... normal fees apply (no, no, they don't... you always rook me and make me bring the beer and stack firewood...)

Dusty
03-19-2012, 16:27
I also would love a copy of this, as I can't afford to fly to Eugene.

You need to just keep making 'em like you did mine, Bro- I can't believe how perfect this thing is.

HaveBlue
03-19-2012, 20:24
I can't wait to see your knife design for the upcoming "Zombie Apocalypse"!;)

Now, to be fair, it says "Steels" not "Knives".

Speaking of knives however, what about this rumored Spartan Folder?;)

Ambush Master
03-19-2012, 21:24
So when is it??

mangler
03-20-2012, 04:35
So when is it??

The show is April 14th and 15th Mr. Harsey's speech is on the 13th. In order to attend on Fiday you have to be a member of the OKCA. Best 20 bucks a year you can spend.

http://www.oregonknifeclub.org/

mcarey
03-20-2012, 06:35
Speaking of knives however, what about this rumored Spartan Folder?;)

We are working on it! (one and half + years!). We are making prototypes now and hope to have either tweaked proto or first production run ready for Blade Show in June. We will post pics here when we have something shareable.

Barbarian
03-20-2012, 16:17
Originally posted by Dusty:
You need to just keep making 'em like you did mine, Bro- I can't believe how perfect this thing is.

You're too kind, my good Sir. Too kind.:D Great to hear it's treating you well.

There's always more to learn , though. ;)

DJ Urbanovsky
03-31-2012, 11:59
Please tell me that somebody is going to record this lecture...

x SF med
04-01-2012, 12:57
Please tell me that somebody is going to record this lecture...

I just need to find a recording device... I'm not hiring a court stenographer to record it for posterity.

DJ Urbanovsky
04-02-2012, 01:07
I can Fedex you or Bill my Zoom H4N a couple of days prior if you're going to be there (although Bill is probably busy dealing with his tree situation). It's a small, handheld digital recorder with a pair of 90-120 degree offset stereo mics. We use it for our band rehearsals. It's awesome, and real easy to use. Turn it on, press the record button once, when it starts blinking red, you press the play button and the timer will start. Once the seminar is over, press stop, turn it off (it will tell even you goodbye), Fedex it back to me, and I'll dump and compile the audio, rip it down to MP3, and then host it on my site or email it to people if it's small enough.

I just need to find a recording device... I'm not hiring a court stenographer to record it for posterity.

x SF med
04-10-2012, 10:33
Recording device, tripod and zombie finger puppets are secured.

0900 Friday is a go... mostly... I need to get my car looked at... the glow plug light started blinking while driving this am... I'll find out what's up at 1230 today.

LibraryLady
04-10-2012, 15:35
I'll be person-ing a still camera during this particular event and also during the entire show, so if you're there, and I don't know you, let me know so I can make sure to blur out the correct faces.

There's a rumor the Convention Center has Wifi - which might create a potential for more real-time posting of pics/vids etc.

LL

ETA: Anyone else notice this is occurring on Friday the 13th? :munchin

Bill Harsey
04-11-2012, 08:29
Anyone thought of asking the guy doing the talk if it's ok to video the presentation or post on the internet?

x SF med
04-11-2012, 13:42
Anyone thought of asking the guy doing the talk if it's ok to video the presentation or post on the internet?

I had assumed the video was cleared by original idea poster. No internet posting was intended from this side. All recording plans on belay - if and until verified for internal use only.

PM sent.

x SF med
04-18-2012, 17:53
Bill's talk was scary... he sounded like an Anthropology professor and I didn't know loggers were legally allowed to do that. The BBQ was again a huge success, but alas, 2 knife designers (not the esteemed Harsey) were damaged and leaking bodily fluids after trying to get fancy with their creations in the kitchen... The show was great.

I now have a project in damascus steel and maple to work on... and have been offered the help of one of the injured knife designers in working with the damascus... I will put up pics when I finish it... why did I see that damascus blank for my first project, and why did the dealer give me a discount on the blank and the scales... and why did I get enough mosaic pin material as a sample to make it pretty... damascus for my first knife, I must be batsh*t crazy.

Did I let you know that Bill's speech was cooler than hell and he sounded like he graduated from University of Oregon?

Barbarian
04-19-2012, 18:50
.....damascus for my first knife, I must be batsh*t crazy

Lol, I'm sure you'll do great with it. What kind of damascus did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

x SF med
04-24-2012, 10:48
Lol, I'm sure you'll do great with it. What kind of damascus did you get, if you don't mind my asking?

Very hard damascus... files and dremels are not being treated well by it, but I am being creful in my reshaping of the blank... I'll never be 100% happy with the spine to edge taper, but that's something I will live with (very narrow, almost too thin across the blade).