PDA

View Full Version : Switching MOS/Language

Keenan
03-14-2012, 22:28
Hello gentleman,
Recent graduate of class 05-12 assigned 18E and Russian. I'm currently a 68W assigned to Fort Campbell and a native speaker of Arabic. I'm looking to switch to 18D and Arabic OR any related Semitic language. I spent 4 semesters of college studying MSA+, lived in Damascus for approximately 2 years and have distinct middle eastern features (I would certainly not pass for Eastern European or Slavic). I scored a 91 on my DLAB, 131 GT, 12.9 mat/read TABE and 118 GAMMA and I did verify with cadre those satisfied usual criterion for 18D.

My principle concern is that although there are MTOE requirements shouldn't there be some weight given to prior experience and existing knowledge base? I did a forum search before posting however no recent activity or POCs are listed. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

-Keenan

The Reaper
03-15-2012, 16:23
Hello gentleman,
Recent graduate of class 05-12 assigned 18E and Russian. I'm currently a 68W assigned to Fort Campbell and a native speaker of Arabic. I'm looking to switch to 18D and Arabic OR any related Semitic language. I spent 4 semesters of college studying MSA+, lived in Damascus for approximately 2 years and have distinct middle eastern features (I would certainly not pass for Eastern European or Slavic). I scored a 91 on my DLAB, 131 GT, 12.9 mat/read TABE and 118 GAMMA and I did verify with cadre those satisfied usual criterion for 18D.

My principle concern is that although there are MTOE requirements shouldn't there be some weight given to prior experience and existing knowledge base? I did a forum search before posting however no recent activity or POCs are listed. Any assistance or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

-Keenan

Keenan:

You are at Ft. Campbell.

Home of the 5th SFG(A).

An industrious individual would establish a contact with the 5th SFG(A), preferably a SGM or CSM, demonstrate his value, and attempt to use that connection to leverage the assignment personnel to put you in 5th SFG(A) with Arabic instead. If a Group CSM called, the swap should be easy.

The 18D change would be a bit more difficult, but for a 68W, should not be impossible.

Take this as a demonstration that the Army has a sense of humor, allbeit frequently unintentional and not necessarily to your benefit. There is probably a Commo MOS holding Slav who speaks native 3/3 Russian and who hammers out 18/18 on his ham set that they are going to train to a 1/1 standard in MSA, and try to teach him to be a medic.

Do your best.

TR

AirborneAndy502
04-19-2012, 18:00
I'm about to go to Selection at the end of the month, focusing on that 25m target. But, I know that throughout SFAS I'll be asked what MOS's I want in order of precedence. I've been an 11C and 11B for the past twelve years, so 18B would be the most logical choice for me to pick. But my buddy told me that due to my GT of 124 and me saying that I want 5th SFG that most likely I'll be an 18E and get Arabic(ughh...). All I care about really is getting selected, and I'll do whatever they tell me I'm gonna do, but would I usually get MOS preference as well as language or should I start learning morse code?? Is it hard to switch MOS with someone once I'm in the pipeline?? Plus, is there any way to learn any other language other than the squiggly line dot dot ones to get to 5th?? I kind of would like to learn russian.
V/R-Andy

Dusty
04-19-2012, 18:13
I'm about to go to Selection at the end of the month, focusing on that 25m target. But, I know that throughout SFAS I'll be asked what MOS's I want in order of precedence. I've been an 11C and 11B for the past twelve years, so 18B would be the most logical choice for me to pick. But my buddy told me that due to my GT of 124 and me saying that I want 5th SFG that most likely I'll be an 18E and get Arabic(ughh...). All I care about really is getting selected, and I'll do whatever they tell me I'm gonna do, but would I usually get MOS preference as well as language or should I start learning morse code?? Is it hard to switch MOS with someone once I'm in the pipeline?? Plus, is there any way to learn any other language other than the squiggly line dot dot ones to get to 5th?? I kind of would like to learn russian.
V/R-Andy

Your GT score disqualifies you for 18B. 90 points too high.