PDA

View Full Version : A Quiet Farewell For the M-2 Bradley

Pete
03-07-2012, 05:11
A Quiet Farewell For the M-2 Bradley

http://www.strategypage.com/htmw/htarm/articles/20120305.aspx

"March 5, 2012: One of the little-known casualties of the Iraq war was the American M-2 Bradley IFV (Infantry Fighting Vehicle). Five years ago the U.S. Army stopped using the M-2 in combat. By then it was clear that the enemy was intent on using mines and roadside bombs in a big way and the M-1 tank, Stryker, and MRAP vehicles were much better able to handle these blast weapons than the M-2......."

Interesting.

Sigaba
03-07-2012, 06:22
It seems like just yesterday that the army's defenders of the M-2 were arguing that the vehicle could survive contact with Warsaw Pact forces the battlefields of Western Europe.

Pete
03-07-2012, 07:40
It seems like just yesterday that the army's defenders of the M-2 were arguing that the vehicle could survive contact with Warsaw Pact forces the battlefields of Western Europe.

That's ---- So ---- So -----1980's ish.......

Alas, real world events got in the way of making Red Storm Rising.

Dozer523
03-07-2012, 08:43
The armored bus, still going strong when it's replacement goes to the scrap-yard. I was taught it was a bus during manuever and then became a moving .50 cal emplacement for the rushing Infantry on the ground.

"The M113's versatility spawned a wide variety of adaptations that live on worldwide, and in U.S. service.
These variants together represent about half of U.S. Army armored vehicles today. To date, it is estimated that over 80,000 M113s of all types have been produced and used by over 50 countries worldwide, making it one of the most widely used armored fighting vehicles of all time.
The Military Channel's "Top Ten" series named the M113 the most significant infantry vehicle in history. The U.S. Army plans to retire the M113 family of vehicles by 2018 and is seeking replacement with the GCV Infantry Fighting Vehicle program. (from wiki)

Go Devil
03-07-2012, 18:48
Now what am I going to do with that MOS?

ZonieDiver
03-07-2012, 19:03
Now what am I going to do with that MOS?

They'll end up somewhere. Contract Bradley-driver instructor!:D

greenberetTFS
03-07-2012, 20:15
The armored bus, still going strong when it's replacement goes to the scrap-yard. I was taught it was a bus during manuever and then became a moving .50 cal emplacement for the rushing Infantry on the ground.

"The M113's versatility spawned a wide variety of adaptations that live on worldwide, and in U.S. service.
These variants together represent about half of U.S. Army armored vehicles today. To date, it is estimated that over 80,000 M113s of all types have been produced and used by over 50 countries worldwide, making it one of the most widely used armored fighting vehicles of all time.
The Military Channel's "Top Ten" series named the M113 the most significant infantry vehicle in history. The U.S. Army plans to retire the M113 family of vehicles by 2018 and is seeking replacement with the GCV Infantry Fighting Vehicle program. (from wiki)

Dozer523

M113s ?......... :confused: More of them than the Willis JEEP?......:rolleyes: I'll believe your numbers because it's you,but I always thought the Jeep was the most fighting vehicle ever built,seen a video on the Military channel that stated that,maybe I'm missing something here................:confused:

Big Teddy :munchin

Peregrino
03-07-2012, 21:37
The stupidity of people who make decisions for the military never ceases to amaze me. The M2 is not obsolete. It is still one of the most potent armored taxis on anybody's battlefield. If we ever wind up in another general war (you know - that thing the CONVENTIONAL Army is supposed to be able to fight and win) it'll survive and meet mission better than anything that was developed for the Iraq/Afghanistan debacles. (Cross-country movement as part of an armored column tends to put the IED threat pretty low.) I certainly don't want to face enemy armor in an MRAP/MATV/Stryker/etc. And I really want to know where the budget to develop its mythical replacement is coming from. (DAMN - just getting started and I'm out of Woody! Again! :mad:)

Old Dog New Trick
03-07-2012, 21:58
The stupidity of people who make decisions for the military never ceases to amaze me. The M2 is not obsolete. It is still one of the most potent armored taxis on anybody's battlefield. If we ever wind up in another general war (you know - that thing the CONVENTIONAL Army is supposed to be able to fight and win) it'll survive and meet mission better than anything that was developed for the Iraq/Afghanistan debacles. (Cross-country movement as part of an armored column tends to put the IED threat pretty low.) I certainly don't want to face enemy armor in an MRAP/MATV/Stryker/etc. And I really want to know where the budget to develop its mythical replacement is coming from. (DAMN - just getting started and I'm out of Woody! Again! :mad:)

Man, I thought I was alone in that thought. I was going to post a similar opinion having been brought up bouncing around in M113s for several years and then getting my hands on an M2 shortly before trading all that in for a comfortably pair of boots; with air assets and rubber boats.

If we ever did have a need to return to the old war thinking, let me know how long that wheeled vehicles last in the soft European mud or the hard rock of N.Korea.

mojaveman
03-07-2012, 22:49
M-113s

Now that brang back some memories. When traveling cross country hang on to the ceiling strap, pray for dear life, and hopefully not end up with too many bumps and bruises. Swimming them across the pond at Infantry School was a frightening experience. Didn't think that the military was still using them until I saw a few while watching a documentary about the Iraq war.

scooter
03-08-2012, 07:12
Washington Post
Jan 12, 2023

The Department of Defense announced its decision to retire the MRAP today in light of recent concerns about its survivability on the modern battlefield. Designed for the conflicts in Iraq and Afghanistan, it excelled at protecting soldiers against landmines and makeshift bombs.

It was only during the recent conflict with China that the vehicles shortcomings were discovered. Slow, heavy, poor armament, poor cross country mobility, and high profile made this vehicle cannon fodder for infantry anti-tank missiles and the 40mm cannons on the Chinese BMP-5's, ultimately costing thousands of lives.

"It couldn't keep up with the tanks" said SSG Joe Smith. "We had to stop three times to dig them out of the mud. This is, like, the worst vehicle ever."

Sources say the replacement will likely be a tracked vehicle with a heavy weapon of some sort and a basic anti-tank capability.

General Dumping told reporters today that the Army is indeed designing a replacement vehicle for the aging MRAP, although it will likely be years until it is fielded and cost the DoD around 380,000,000,000. While this is relatively cheap by modern standards, the creaking military will find it hard to field the 300 or so vehicles needed to fill all 20 Brigade Combat Teams.

BryanK
03-08-2012, 10:18
I guess the movie "The Pentagon Wars (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Pentagon_Wars)" will see a sequel after all :D It was pretty funny, but the sad part was it was based on actual events.

Go Devil
03-08-2012, 20:22
As a former Bradley mechanic, I can empathize, Go Devil. Always did prefer working on the M113, though, little bus toy that it is.

Designed for a conventional war across central Europe....

I've seen my fair share, by the platoon, mired in the soft soils of Georgia.
Those legs chuckled during my classes on Nav in marshes, but didn't like swimming for recovery points.
Great weapon, poor mobility.