PDA

View Full Version : Philippines

lrd
09-29-2004, 06:03
Philadelphia Inquirer
September 29, 2004

Philippine Forces Advance On Abu Sayyaf Rebels

U.S.-backed forces have launched a major assault to capture or kill Abu Sayyaf leaders wanted by Washington, sparking clashes that killed a Philippine marine and an undetermined number of rebels, officials said yesterday. The assaults began Friday in the mountain jungles of Patikul on southern Jolo island. They were aimed at Radulan Sahiron, his son Ismin and other Abu Sayyaf commanders who reportedly had planned to meet there, apparently to plot an attack, military sources said.

AP

QRQ 30
09-29-2004, 07:16
This still makes me wonder why the Philipines gave in to terrorists in Iraq and withdrew their troops. :(

Bill Harsey
09-29-2004, 07:36
Terry, The Phillipines have had a strong Muslim presence for a long time, haven't they?

QRQ 30
09-29-2004, 07:49
Terry, The Phillipines have had a strong Muslim presence for a long time, haven't they?

For as long as I remember. OTOH the country is predominantly Catholic and they have been at war with the Muslim Terrorists sonce the Moros. They don't negotiate with the terrorists in their own country which is why their action in Iraq mystifies me.