PDA

View Full Version : Back to the Emergency room........

greenberetTFS
03-02-2012, 15:22
My damn legs,left one mostly,just exploded on me again(never)really went completely down from my edema last week and they still released me......... Waiting for my grand-daughter to pick me up and take me and Maggie back to the Biloxi VA(over a 2 hour drive)....... This time I'm bringing my Mac laptop in case they admit me again,they have WiFi available to patients............ Life's a bitch,and then you die............:boohoo :boohoo :boohoo

Big Teddy :munchin

PSM
03-02-2012, 15:27
Good luck, BT. We'll be waiting for your report. ;)

Pat

Dusty
03-02-2012, 15:31
Prayers out, Bro. Let us know if we can help.

tonyz
03-02-2012, 15:46
Good luck and prayers out BT.

Knowing how much you love ice hockey - hopefully they have a TV for you to watch tonight and take your mind off things at least for a short while.

March 2 Denver at Nebraska-Omaha, 7:30 p.m. EST on CNBC.

BigWave
03-02-2012, 16:08
My best to you Teddy. Keep us posted. There if you need me.

Sigaba
03-02-2012, 16:14
You're in my prayers, Big Teddy.

mojaveman
03-02-2012, 16:31
Stay on top of it Teddy and keep us updated.

Team Sergeant
03-02-2012, 16:31
Hang in there Big Teddy! (A Mac? Kinda like a glock.....;))

JJ_BPK
03-02-2012, 16:43
We expect full AAR with pictures (of the nurses)..
Crank up the FaceTime app and give us the real-time SNL-BM show..

SNL-BM - Saturday Night Live, Biloxi Mississippi

Be safe Teddy..

Dozer523
03-02-2012, 16:49
dog gone it Teddy! You take care of your ol walrus self. your in our thoughts and prayers.

PedOncoDoc
03-02-2012, 17:11
Please keep us posted - prayers out.

Take care of ourself, Big Teddy

Eagle5US
03-02-2012, 17:16
Good luck Dude!
Keep us in the loop!

The Reaper
03-02-2012, 17:49
Get well soon.

TR

glebo
03-02-2012, 18:38
Hope all turns out well, take care of yourself....good luck..

Sdiver
03-02-2012, 20:10
Hang tough Big Teddy.

We're ALL here, if you need anything.

mugwump
03-02-2012, 21:58
Teddy! Get better soon. I'm worried about you man. Work the cure.

Cynic
03-03-2012, 13:59
Hope things improve for you soon. Prayers out.

nousdefions
03-03-2012, 14:40
Teddy,

Prayers out to you and your family. Get well soon!

-Robert

Doc Diego
03-03-2012, 14:59
Hang tough Big T, keep those nurses and docs on their toes! Get home soon...

tom kelly
03-03-2012, 15:12
Ted, good you are going to the hospital; Prayers out also will light a candle when I attend church in @ 15 min. PLEASE ASK TO SEE THE CARDIOLOGIST, STAT; Don't be in a rush to check out, stay there untill you are satisfied you feel well enough to return home, If you need anything (within reason) PM me. Take Care...TK

greenberetTFS
03-03-2012, 16:24
Back home again from the civilian hospital this time........ Never go to a VA Emergency room(only one doctor available,all others only available on call) if you can avoid it on a weekend........... I got there 1 hour before they(normal staff of doctors,nurses,etc shut down for the weekend which means "no tests")like a nuclear heart scan and chemical stress test.......... They had to transfer me to a civilian hospital at Gulfport Memorial just so I can get the tests they needed....... They claimed more blockage after reviewing those tests,but scheduled a heart catheter test(not as an emergency,early monday was OK)........ They(VA) plan on putting stents in,but how many and where they didn't or couldn't tell me yet....... They've double dosed me on Lasix(Furosemide) due to my congestive heart failure problems and the edema......... Needless to say where I spend a great deal of my time now!......... Well anyway,it does make me feel sort of special knowing so many of you were kind enough to express your thoughts on my last post,your encouragement at this time really does mean a lot,thank you for caring,and stealing this from my old buddy Richard,"and so it goes!".......:) :) :)

Gypsy
03-03-2012, 17:41
Big Teddy, I am worried about you. You take good care and do what the doctors say. You and Maggie are in my prayers.

ZonieDiver
03-03-2012, 20:41
Big Teddy, my Brother, the offer still stands...

Goggles Pizano
03-04-2012, 12:48
Glad to hear you are home again and in stable condition Teddy.

BigWave
03-05-2012, 08:46
Be sure and let us know before you go in for your procedure, Teddy. We're all praying for you and Maggie.

Take care,

Dave

akv
03-05-2012, 14:35
Take Care Big Teddy, glad to hear you are home.

DesertRat
03-05-2012, 19:31
Prayers sent your way.

greenberetTFS
03-05-2012, 19:47
I left this morning before 7 am,about a half hour on the freeway I got a call from Kessler AB Hospital that my doctor won't be back in the office until next wednesday and my test is postponed until he gets back to discuss some more options that are available regarding my condition......... That concerned me so I asked if he(the nurse practitioner)could give me more on what that meant.......He said that usually means CABSG(cardiovascular artery bypass surgery graft)....... After a review by this doctor,he has a different approach than the Cardiologist at Biloxi VA......... It seems his concern is that I've got insufficient blood supply going to my heart and that the cardiac blood markers only told a part of the problem........... My oxygen blood supply is also another condition that developed myocardial ischemia and he said any additional info will come from the doctor when I finally get to see him later this week......... Funny story is that Maggie was using her shorthand(Pitman)while he was talking and spelling these technical medical words during our conversation....... She has RA and her fingers aren't in good shape however she did manage to keep up with him.......... Incidentally,if this all goes south on me don't forget there is a fully prepared "Tribute to a Fallen Soldier" that is all you'll need to insert in my post(:rolleyes:)............:D ;)

MtnGoat
03-05-2012, 19:54
Take Care Big Teddy, glad to hear you are home. Stay well brother.

tonyz
03-05-2012, 20:56
Give 'em Hell Big T - you are in a lot of folks thoughts and prayers.

BOfH
03-05-2012, 22:25
Prayers out Big Teddy, hang in there! :lifter

Sarski
03-05-2012, 23:07
Pulling for you, BT! Heart problems run in my family, something I have to probably look forward to someday as well. The good side is the progress the cardiologists have made in the understanding, science, and technique is phenominal. Hang tough!

Red Flag 1
03-06-2012, 12:31
Take care my friend. You or your bride need anything at all, you know we are here for you.

RF 1
j

greenberetTFS
03-06-2012, 12:44
Take care my friend. You or your bride need anything at all, you know we are here for you.

RF 1
j

You know I really believe that,I think it was TR that said people wouldn't understand the Brother-ship we have on this forum,they just couldn't!............;) :D

BigWave
03-06-2012, 12:52
Nothing like medical confusion with multiple docs; I did it all last year. Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know what, when, and where. Don't worry about things going south, you're too cantankerous for that.

Prayers are with you.

Dave

Roguish Lawyer
03-06-2012, 12:56
Just saw this, hang in there!

Sacamuelas
03-06-2012, 14:08
me too RL... just saw this. if you need help ... give me a shout.

greenberetTFS
03-06-2012, 14:20
Nothing like medical confusion with multiple docs; I did it all last year. Thanks for keeping us updated. Let us know what, when, and where. Don't worry about things going south, you're too cantankerous for that.

Prayers are with you.

Dave

Yeah,Maggie's really frustrated with both of them also....... She want's me to go to a civilian doctor now for another opinion.....I just got Humana's coverage supplementing my VA......... The VA is charging me $9(30 day supply)per prescription(I have 26)a month,their also charging me $25 to see my Primary Doctor every 3 months and $50 when I see a Consulting Doctor and I have 6 different ones.........I don't have TriCare!..... However,I did get the knee braces,hearing aid,diabetic shoes,all my tests(so far)without cost...BUT,they told me when I was in the hospital I may have to pay for some of the services I had received(?)...... This all started last year when they said that my Means test was $3,500 over out-of-pocket expenses and my bill now is around $4,500,without my recent hospital stay(not included).......I'm challenging them and starting to go to an attorney(Rep for Vets) here in MS since they've threaten me that their going to be taking money from my Social Security check starting now.......:confused::confused::confused:

Sacamuelas
03-06-2012, 15:32
Big teddy-
Again, if you need anything or have questions about doctors, facilities, etc... let me know. I know a LOT of the civilian cardio docs personally and have worked with the VA and KAFB docs extensively over the past few years as well.

greenberetTFS
03-06-2012, 17:33
Big teddy-
Again, if you need anything or have questions about doctors, facilities, etc... let me know. I know a LOT of the civilian cardio docs personally and have worked with the VA and KAFB docs extensively over the past few years as well.

Sacamuelas

That's good to know,I may get back to you as soon as these guys are finished testing me and decide what they purpose to do to me............If I do end up going to a civilian Cardio doc (3rd opinion actually)I'll ask for your advice on who and then I'll find out if he'll take Humana.....;)

Dusty
03-06-2012, 17:36
Sacamuelas

That's good to know,I may get back to you as soon as these guys are finished testing me and decide what they purpose to do to me............If I do end up going to a civilian Cardio doc (3rd opinion actually)I'll ask for you advice on who and then I'll find out if he'll take Humana.....;)

Can you hold out 'til November and use Romneycare? ;)

greenberetTFS
03-06-2012, 18:26
Can you hold out 'til November and use Romneycare? ;)

Now that made my day.......:lifter:lifter:lifter

Big Teddy

Sarski
03-08-2012, 00:05
Fuck em. That's what I say. Asking you to pay? Let them ruck a mile in your boots an see what they have to say. Let them go the first 500 feet.

I know, gotta take what is there but fuck em anyways. And any other politicians trying to whittle away VA services.

Saturation
03-10-2012, 09:14
Teddy,

You're right- the means test is what they look at to push you into those co-pays.
HOWEVER with the medical expenses you're having it may be a good idea to talk to your rep about several options:

- updating your means test
- meeting with someone in the crazy-named MCCR dpt. (medical care cost recovery)
- supplementing your income with the NSC Pension due to your medical expenses (if you don't have a SC pension)

Please don't avoid paying the bills as mentioned in earlier post. They WILL garnish your SS check without your permission and that AIN'T cool!

Wishing you health and happiness as you cope with all this!

The docs all have their different viewpoints so you'll have lots of options. I will say as an insurance company I have had the least positive experiences with Humana.
The typical word folks hear from me and Humana is hate. I would NEVER use them for myself/family- however you do have the VA (which I don't have) so that can negate some of their impact on you. (Just to be clear- not speaking of their docs- those can be good/bad- I'm directly stating the insurance company).

greenberetTFS
03-10-2012, 12:48
Teddy,

You're right- the means test is what they look at to push you into those co-pays.
HOWEVER with the medical expenses you're having it may be a good idea to talk to your rep about several options:

- updating your means test
- meeting with someone in the crazy-named MCCR dpt. (medical care cost recovery)
- supplementing your income with the NSC Pension due to your medical expenses (if you don't have a SC pension)

Please don't avoid paying the bills as mentioned in earlier post. They WILL garnish your SS check without your permission and that AIN'T cool!

Wishing you health and happiness as you cope with all this!

The docs all have their different viewpoints so you'll have lots of options. I will say as an insurance company I have had the least positive experiences with Humana.
The typical word folks hear from me and Humana is hate. I would NEVER use them for myself/family- however you do have the VA (which I don't have) so that can negate some of their impact on you. (Just to be clear- not speaking of their docs- those can be good/bad- I'm directly stating the insurance company).

Thanks,good to know........;)

greenberetTFS
03-27-2012, 07:04
Maggie and I currently are surviving on social security which is not enough to handle our overhead.......... Katrina really hurt us,my insurer only gave us $17,000(Allstate) and then they dropped me..... The actual cost turned out to be $42,000 which made us mortgage our house by securing an SBA loan to cover the difference....... I then had to join the Mississipi diaster fund which hit me for $3,500 a year... I had to get a part time job and all I manage to get in my physical condition was a gate guard paying $8 an hour,working 4 days a week........ Than I received my VA hospital bill for my recent 7 day stay for $6,141.71........ I then contacted the veterans benefits consulter and he said there was nothing he can really do to help me and reminded me of my current bill about $5,100 which I'm fighting with the VA....... It's on hold until they make a decision,after which they intend to get paid by going after my social security money....I then asked him about my up coming heart operation and what that cost may be.......He said he couldn't really tell me,but to expect several thousand or more........ Well,screw that operation because I'll never be able to pay what all 3 combined bills would amount
to......... End of rant,but I just had to let it out........:(

Dusty
03-27-2012, 07:14
Maggie and I currently are surviving on social security which is not enough to handle our overhead.......... Katrina really hurt us,my insurer only gave us $17,000(Allstate) and then they dropped me..... The actual cost turned out to be $42,000 which made us mortgage our house by securing an SBA loan to cover the difference....... I then had to join the Mississipi diaster fund which hit me for $3,500 a year... I had to get a part time job and all I manage to get in my physical condition was a gate guard paying $8 an hour,working 4 days a week........ Than I received my VA hospital bill for my recent 7 day stay for $6,141.71........ I then contacted the veterans benefits consulter and he said there was nothing he can really do to help me and reminded me of my current bill about $5,100 which I'm fighting with the VA....... It's on hold until they make a decision,after which they intend to get paid by going after my social security money....I then asked him about my up coming heart operation and what that cost may be.......He said he couldn't really tell me,but to expect several thousand or more........ Well,screw that operation because I'll never be able to pay what all 3 combined bills would amount

How much are you in the hole for, total, Bro?

Sarski
03-27-2012, 07:17

I do not understand. I had knee surgery a few years back, scoped my knee, and I had to pay only for the meds, a "co pay" of $35. This was because I was low on the means test scale.

What is going on here? What exactly is the VA doing in this instance? Why do you have to pay anything at all?

Dusty
03-27-2012, 07:19
I do not understand. I had knee surgery a few years back, scoped my knee, and I had to pay only for the meds, a "co pay" of $35. This was because I was low on the means test scale.

What is going on here? What exactly is the VA doing in this instance? Why do you have to pay anything at all?

Obamacare won't kick in 'til 2014. Duh. :D

greenberetTFS
03-27-2012, 07:23
How much are you in the hole for, total, Bro?

About $11,200 so far........:(

greenberetTFS
03-27-2012, 07:38

I missed on the means test by only $3,500 in order to qualify because I had to list my part time job which is around $10,000 a year........If I didn't list it,and they found out,I could lose my VA benefits completely,and if I were to quit my job I'd never be able to pay my mortgage on just our social security alone...... For me it's a catch 22........ BTW one charge was for $27 for 90 aspirin(3 months supply of 1 a day)they also charged me $60,called it per diem to drive me home,no one could do it that day.... F**K the VA....:(

Big Teddy

Dusty
03-27-2012, 07:47
About $7,200 so far........:(

I'm open to some kind of fundraiser.

Can you pole dance? We could make a couple bucks off that...

Seriously, Bro, I'm in when it comes to helping you if I can. Might want to go to PM's or something.

Sarski
03-27-2012, 07:48
I missed on the means test by only $3,500 in order to qualify because I had to list my part time job which is around $10,000 a year........If I didn't list it,and they found out,I could lose my VA benefits completely,and if I were to quit my job I'd never be able to pay my mortgage on just our social security alone...... For me it's a catch 22........ BTW one charge was for $27 for 90 aspirin(3 months supply of 1 a day).... F**K the VA....:(

Big Teddy
I see. You are too wealthy and live in Beverly Hills.

And chances are they would find out.

As for your last statement, true dat.

Sarski
03-27-2012, 07:55

Seriously, Bro, I'm in when it comes to helping you if I can. Might want to go to PM's or something.

Can't help much, but I can chip in to help a little. Then maybe someday when it comes back around and I am getting screwed by the VA, good karma will prevail.

greenberetTFS
03-27-2012, 07:58

Dusty

NO absolutely not,I wouldn't take a penny from my Bro's,that's not why I posted......... I was so pissed at the VA I had to let it out,and where better than here among my own........ But,I appreciate your offer,thank you........;)

Team Sergeant
03-27-2012, 09:38

I like the pole dancing idea....:munchin

Richard
03-27-2012, 09:44

If it's Teddy, better make that a telephone pole... :D

Richard :munchin

ZonieDiver
03-27-2012, 11:02
If it's Teddy, better make that a telephone pole... :D

Richard :munchin

Telephone Pole? I thought that was Alexandrei Graham Bellski! :D

greenberetTFS
03-27-2012, 14:07

Me Too..........:p

Saturation
03-27-2012, 15:48
Teddy,

Something appears to be way off here.

Several quick items pulled out:

Quoted from VA publication-
"Q. Will my health insurance cover my copay charge?
A. In most cases yes. Reimbursements received from insurance carriers will be used to offset or eliminate your copay on a dollar for dollar basis. The unpaid VA copay balance remains your payment responsibility."

COPAY MAXIMUM for Inpatient
($10/day + $1156 for first 90 days and $578 after 90 days – based on 365-day period).

I'm trying to compute how they are charging you so much- I'll PM now....
Sat

Red Flag 1
03-27-2012, 16:07
Me Too..........:p

Big Teddy pole dancing.....talk about a deer in the headlights look:eek:.

Get the care you need my friend. Funding is just that, and it will all find it's proper place. For now, do what you need to for you and your bride to be well. I have written off many a nonpayment because I knew some folks could simply not afford it. I never sent a collection agency after anyone. I would also talk with the hospital CFO folks from time to time, and challenge them to be as understanding.

Things will work themselves out in time. Get the care you need my friend.

RF 1
j

Gypsy
03-27-2012, 19:06
Teddy, hospitals can and do write off medical bills for folks who are in a bad way or have a hard time making payments. Go to the financial office and talk to someone there. You'll have to provide financials etc but they should be able to help.

It pisses me off that you are in this predicament. :mad: Anything I can do to help, I'm in.

alelks
03-27-2012, 19:11
Hell Teddy, pay them each $5 per month if needed. It works for all the welfare recipients so make it work for you. Just remember to take care of yourself and your family FIRST!

The Reaper
03-27-2012, 19:52
You need to get the VA patient rep for the VFW, AMVETS, American Legion, etc. whichever you belong to help you with this.

TR

cbtengr
03-28-2012, 20:02
There is something terribly wrong in this country and this thread is an excellent example of it. I do not know Big Teddy from Adam, I do not know any of you folks but I can read between the lines. And from what I gather we pretty much all have one thing in common, we do not expect anything for nothing, we either are working or have earned the right to be retired and to enjoy what time we have left on this earth.

There is no reward other than personal pride in one’s self for doing the right thing in this country. I am beyond sick of going to work each day and paying more than my "fair" share in taxes so that all the non-hackers out there can have a free ride, no incentive to contribute to society they just take. It’s as if Big Teddy is being punished for trying to do the right thing, pay his bills be responsible. If and when the good Lord willing I get to be his age I hope to have been retired for at least 15 years, at least that is my plan. I have been very fortunate since I left the service back in the late 70’s, I had lots of different jobs till I landed the one I have been in for the past 31 years. A good life does not just happen, you have to work at it. Are you all aware that you can get SS Disability benefits in this country if you have trouble learning, or even if you are afraid to go out in public? ITS ABSURD! Its like the old song by Dire Straits.... Money for nothing...... you get the point. Big Teddy you have earned a break, let your friends help you out if they want to, that’s what friends do, we may all be in a situation similar to yours some day and it would sure be nice to know that we have friends. God Bless You and all the other folks out there who do the right thing every day of their lives, we are a dying breed.

s
04-01-2012, 10:20
All the best Sir, hang in there.

greenberetTFS
04-01-2012, 20:16
Teddy,

Something appears to be way off here.

Several quick items pulled out:

Quoted from VA publication-
"Q. Will my health insurance cover my copay charge?
A. In most cases yes. Reimbursements received from insurance carriers will be used to offset or eliminate your copay on a dollar for dollar basis. The unpaid VA copay balance remains your payment responsibility."

COPAY MAXIMUM for Inpatient
($10/day + $1156 for first 90 days and $578 after 90 days – based on 365-day period).

I'm trying to compute how they are charging you so much- I'll PM now....
Sat

i have Humana,it gets my social security money if I use them and only when I use them.... They do not consider the VA,I have to use a civilian hospital in order to get any assistance from them......... My bill is now being investigated because they think something must be in error also....... They think my other bill may have been added to this bill,and if so will be corrected,however now they are going to take my SS money,which they hadn't done yet........ The investigation unfortunately woke up the sleeping giant and called attention to my existing bill and now it begins.....

Big Teddy

greenberetTFS
04-01-2012, 20:24
There is something terribly wrong in this country and this thread is an excellent example of it. I do not know Big Teddy from Adam, I do not know any of you folks but I can read between the lines. And from what I gather we pretty much all have one thing in common, we do not expect anything for nothing, we either are working or have earned the right to be retired and to enjoy what time we have left on this earth.

There is no reward other than personal pride in one’s self for doing the right thing in this country. I am beyond sick of going to work each day and paying more than my "fair" share in taxes so that all the non-hackers out there can have a free ride, no incentive to contribute to society they just take. It’s as if Big Teddy is being punished for trying to do the right thing, pay his bills be responsible. If and when the good Lord willing I get to be his age I hope to have been retired for at least 15 years, at least that is my plan. I have been very fortunate since I left the service back in the late 70’s, I had lots of different jobs till I landed the one I have been in for the past 31 years. A good life does not just happen, you have to work at it. Are you all aware that you can get SS Disability benefits in this country if you have trouble learning, or even if you are afraid to go out in public? ITS ABSURD! Its like the old song by Dire Straits.... Money for nothing...... you get the point. Big Teddy you have earned a break, let your friends help you out if they want to, that’s what friends do, we may all be in a situation similar to yours some day and it would sure be nice to know that we have friends. God Bless You and all the other folks out there who do the right thing every day of their lives, we are a dying breed.

Never,my responsibly for my debts.........

Big Teddy

Requiem
04-01-2012, 22:58
Never,my responsibly for my debts.........Big Teddy

Oh, Big Teddy, you are a big man in more than ways than one. You're my kind of hero. :)

I'll keep you and your wife in my prayers.

Susan