PDA

View Full Version : Dead Pig

Buffalobob
02-28-2012, 18:50
I journeyed back down to South Carolina to hunt pigs again this year. DNR had changed things around so we got to hunt before the hound dog hunters so the pigs were well distributed and not pushed into deep cover. Saw pigs the first two days and even missed a shot at a medium sized boar. Friday evening Phil and his buddy came down from Ft Bragg and camped out with me. Early Saturday we got up and headed out to hunt. I sent them to a logging road that traversed about three miles of prime pig swampland. About a quarter of a mile down the road they came upon a small boar and Phil’s buddy killed it with a 5.56 AR and some heavy bullets in a fast twist barrel. The range was pretty short but success is success and after two years of getting skunked out, I was exceedingly happy that we had a pig.
Here are some pictures of the camp and them cleaning the pig.

Penn
02-28-2012, 18:55
Congrads to all, must have been wonderful to be with your son, good times!

badshot
02-28-2012, 21:06
range was pretty short.

The best kind, especially when they can fight back. :D

For me a boar, cat, or bear taken close-up and on even ground
is far more rewarding than one popped at a hundred or more yards
on the run. Especially with a small bore, heavy grain or not.

Nice

mark46th
02-29-2012, 16:45
Looks like fun! I will be going to King City, Calif. for my Spring pig hunt March23-25th. It is just North of Camp Roberts/Hunter Liggett. Because I'm too old and can't get out of the way quick enough these days I will be taking my .338 , looking for an 800+ yard shot. The area we hunt is low rolling hills so we should have a decent opportunity. I'll also have my Win M70 in .270 for closer ranges...

badshot
02-29-2012, 17:43
can't get out of the way quick enough these days

Even some of the quicker types can't either at times, including myself.

You could call a clean long range shot wisdom, meat in freezer, and a good hunt ;)

Have fun

plato
02-29-2012, 19:21
I recall every precious moment of each hunting/fishing/camping trip with my Dad.
My sons reminisce over each one we've taken.
Congratulations.

Ah, and on getting the pig too. :)

mark46th
02-29-2012, 19:23
Yes, indeed, Plato. My son is coming along. Good times....