PDA

View Full Version : P/S Going 18x OSUT again?

Devil2007
02-25-2012, 18:28
I have read through quite a few threads and although they may talk about it I haven't found an answer to the question I would like to ask. I signed a new contract for 18x (Got a release from the National Guard). The liaison at MEPS said that I would have to re-do ALL of Infantry OSUT, but he also said he wasn't too sure about it. That is my question. In the contract it says "Enlistee may have to attend all or a portion of Infantry OSUT" Just as more information I have already done MP OSUT and I haven't had a break in service from the National Guard. Does anyone have any information that could help me figure out if I have to go through Basic training again?

Thank you

LongWire
02-25-2012, 20:12
I have read through quite a few threads and although they may talk about it I haven't found an answer to the question I would like to ask. I signed a new contract for 18x (Got a release from the National Guard). The liaison at MEPS said that I would have to re-do ALL of Infantry OSUT, but he also said he wasn't too sure about it. That is my question. In the contract it says "Enlistee may have to attend all or a portion of Infantry OSUT" Just as more information I have already done MP OSUT and I haven't had a break in service from the National Guard. Does anyone have any information that could help me figure out if I have to go through Basic training again?

Thank you

Looks like an 18x contract.....you will be trained as an 11 series so that in the case you wash out somewhere in the 18 series courses, you can serve down the street in the 82nd.

LongWire
02-26-2012, 15:21
Sir,

I noticed your recent post on the 'P/S Going 18x OSUT again' thread... you mentioned that the rationale for sending x-rays through the 11 series OSUT was to prepare them, should they wash out, to serve as infantrymen.

My question is whether you could say for certain that x-rays in 2012 who happen to wash-out would be re-classed to an infantry position? If this is not always the case, is it most often the case? Or would the Army's shrinking budget cause the washed-out x-ray to be discharged?

Thank you for your time and service.

V/r,
CNI

Cat.........The Army is a Government Bureaucracy like any other, with its own set of rules and circumstances. 1 size fits most but certainly not all.

Nothing in the Army is certain. I would be a fool and an asshole to say otherwise. So no I can't say.

What I will say is that the 18x program starts through the 11 OSUT program. Hence you will be an Infantryman after OSUT grad, until the day that you finish the Q course should that happen.

If you don't happen to complete the 18 series course, you won't have to reclass because you will have already earned your right to be an Infantryman.

Barring any other situational issue that you could dream of, I won't certify what may/could will happen should anyone wash out. Discharge I highly doubt it, but that would certainly depend on the circumstances. Mother Army is not fond of spending money on a soldier and not getting some of that back.

Quit PMing people with these fricken questions. Everyone could benefit from some clarity if asked out in the open.

Quit trying to G2 your whole career. The Army has a way of throwing wrenches into the best made plans. Guarantee's are hard to come by, just like real life.

stfesta
02-26-2012, 15:38
If you show up with your orders and certificate as an Infantrymen, the worst anyone is going to say is: you have to do it again.

Shouldn't be that difficult, that being said, there is no guarantee.

Look at it this way, just playing Devil's advocate.

If an active duty infantryman goes to selection and makes it, do they make him go through SUT? Yes.

It is one thing to say someone is qualified, it is another to check for yourself and give your own stamp of approval.

Go with the flow, some of the best times in my SF career have been doing things I thought I was too qualified to do.

Just my $0.02
sf

catnamedivan
02-26-2012, 15:43
Cat.........The Army is a Government Bureaucracy like any other, with its own set of rules and circumstances. 1 size fits most but certainly not all.

Nothing in the Army is certain. I would be a fool and an asshole to say otherwise. So no I can't say.

What I will say is that the 18x program starts through the 11 OSUT program. Hence you will be an Infantryman after OSUT grad, until the day that you finish the Q course should that happen.

If you don't happen to complete the 18 series course, you won't have to reclass because you will have already earned your right to be an Infantryman.

Barring any other situational issue that you could dream of, I won't certify what may/could will happen should anyone wash out. Discharge I highly doubt it, but that would certainly depend on the circumstances. Mother Army is not fond of spending money on a soldier and not getting some of that back.

Quit PMing people with these fricken questions. Everyone could benefit from some clarity if asked out in the open.

Quit trying to G2 your whole career. The Army has a way of throwing wrenches into the best made plans. Guarantee's are hard to come by, just like real life.

Thank you for your advice, sir.

[My reason for PM'ing was to ensure that I wasn't further cluttering the board with already-asked/potentially-stupid questions. I will amend this, given your advice.]

LongWire
02-26-2012, 15:53
Thank you for your advice, sir.

[My reason for PM'ing was to ensure that I wasn't further cluttering the board with already-asked/potentially-stupid questions. I will amend this, given your advice.]

Yeah that's called using the search button!!!!!

Devil2007
02-26-2012, 17:33
Thanks for the information. I am not a qualified Infantryman and I am preparing to do Basic all over again, which will be the least difficult thing in the 18x pipeline. Not that I would complain if I had to do it all over again, it's just i have been told so many things and I was just curious to see if anyone had a concrete answer.

stfesta
02-26-2012, 18:17
Plan for the worst, expect the worst, do your best.
sf