PDA

View Full Version : dog doo transmitter

MR2
02-22-2012, 15:33
Mark Stout, a historian at the International Spy Museum, said each of the world's best intelligence services are thinking all the time about the most creative ways to hide secrets in plain sight. The "dog doo transmitter" is certainly an example. Reportedly used in Vietnam, this fake excrement was actually meant to resemble Tiger feces and was used as a homing beacon to direct aircraft. (International Spy Museum)

Anyone drop one of these?

PSM
02-22-2012, 16:18
Mark Stout, a historian at the International Spy Museum, said each of the world's best intelligence services are thinking all the time about the most creative ways to hide secrets in plain sight. The "dog doo transmitter" is certainly an example. Reportedly used in Vietnam, this fake excrement was actually meant to resemble Tiger feces and was used as a homing beacon to direct aircraft. (International Spy Museum)

Anyone drop one of these?

Yep. It's called a Noiseless Button Bomblet (NBB). They were dispersed on trails and the troops or vehicles would disturb them and a transponder would relay the info to our guys. While the poop ones are usually shown, we (at the school) figured out that most people avoid stepping on poop, so we had them made in "rocks", "sticks", etc. that were more likely to be kicked or stepped on.

Pat

mark46th
03-01-2012, 11:50
Also deployed along the Ho Chi Minh Trail were sensors that detected urine and sweat. When the bad guys would find one, they would place buckets of urine near them and leave the area...

PSM
03-01-2012, 11:57
Also deployed along the Ho Chi Minh Trail were sensors that detected human excrement. When the bad guys would find one, they would place buckets of crap near them and leave the area...

Ah, the HDR (human doo reciever)! :D

Pat

mark46th
03-01-2012, 12:07
Sorry PSM- I had the wrong human waste material. It was urine, not poop...

I remember the C121's at Korat. The old Tri-Star Constellation, I flew out to California in 1956 on one when my family moved from Ohio...

PSM
03-01-2012, 17:41
I flew out to California in 1956 on one when my family moved from Ohio...

Me, too. TWA from Steubenville to Amarillo, TX. Although, it was 1950 and I was 6 weeks old. Supposedly the Captain had a son about the same age (or lack of age). Supposedly, they sat me in the captain's seat and took a picture that, I was told, ended up on the cover of TWA's magazine.

For those who might be confused: The Air Force monitored these and other "detection" devices from their EC-121s. The Air Force use of these sensors was called Operation Igloo White. The Army and Marines used the same sensors and they could be monitored from nearby OP/LPs.

Pat

ETA: I heard about the urine sniffers, but we didn't have them when I was at the school. They may have been discontinued when I got there in late '69.

DevilSide
03-01-2012, 18:59
I had no idea this technology existed back then, I learn cool stuff like this every time I come to this site :D

alelks
03-01-2012, 19:41
I had no idea this technology existed that far back either.

Now you have me thinking.

You'd think that with all this technology we could come up with a BS detector that actually works. Of course we couldn't put one anywhere near a place that politicians gather. I'm just sayin............... :munchin

PSM
03-01-2012, 19:59
I had no idea this technology existed that far back either.

Oh, the stories I could tell from the Smilodon Handler School! :eek:

Pat

MR2
03-01-2012, 20:05
Oh, the stories I could tell from the Smilodon Handler School!

One would have to be rather long in the tooth to tell those stories.

PSM
03-01-2012, 21:38
:DOne would have to be rather long in the tooth to tell those stories.

As has been implied. ;) Plus, you assume that I still have my teeth. :D

Pat