PDA

View Full Version : SCOTUS: Stolen Valor Act to be heard Wednesday

swatsurgeon
02-20-2012, 09:20
Wednesday the supreme court will take on whether it's a fraud issue or freedom of speech issue...... Stay tuned

ss

Gypsy
02-20-2012, 19:43
I'll never wrap my head around the "freedom of speech" argument as it relates to stolen valor.

Xamine
02-20-2012, 20:13
I'll never wrap my head around the "freedom of speech" argument as it relates to stolen valor.

Agreed, it should fall under the same category as impersonating a federal employee combined with whichever scam they are running with it.

cbtengr
02-23-2012, 19:52
http://www.nytimes.com/2012/02/23/us/stolen-valor-act-argued-before-supreme-court.html

In some of the accounts I have read concerning the arguments I had to wonder how they were being interpeted by the judges. I guess one can read into this as much as one wants to but I gather that for the most part the judges do not think too highly of those who make wild claims regarding past heroics. It almost sounds to me that (in the eyes of the court) this comes down to, was it lying, was it an act of fraud or is it just free speech? I hope that the law is upheld by the justices and that this is not seen solely as a freedom of speech issue.

Mr Furious
03-28-2012, 14:30
Was at the SCOTUS site today to grab the obamacare transcripts and pulled the Stolen Valor one down too. I hadn't seen it anywhere on here, so I figured I'd post it up.

I haven't read completely through it, but the first hypothetical out of Sotomayor's mouth had me a bit riled (I get her point but it still riled me). Should make for an interesting read later on.

Dusty
03-28-2012, 14:35
Was at the SCOTUS site today to grab the obamacare transcripts and pulled the Stolen Valor one down too. I hadn't seen it anywhere on here, so I figured I'd post it up.

I haven't read completely through it, but the first hypothetical out of Sotomayor's mouth had me a bit riled (I get her point but it still riled me). Should make for an interesting read later on.

Sotomayor has a personal interest in this in that she's masquerading as an intellectual, so she's naturally agitated by the "stolen valor" concept. :rolleyes:

Gypsy
03-28-2012, 17:28
Sotomayor has a personal interest in this in that she's masquerading as an intellectual, so she's naturally agitated by the "stolen valor" concept. :rolleyes:

Why is this in pink? ;)

Roguish Lawyer
03-28-2012, 17:35
I will be surprised if the Court finds the act unconstitutional on these facts.