PDA

View Full Version : "Unorthodox:" A Woman's Journey from Repression to Freedom

wmaousley
02-08-2012, 02:22
"We all hear these stories about Muslim extremists; how is this any better? This is just another example of extreme fundamentalism."

Lets take a look at something kept quiet by our government, because of the overwhelming amoung of Jewish influence in our government.

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/unorthodox-womans-journey-repression-freedom-201000868.html

Sigaba
02-08-2012, 03:54
Lets take a look at something kept quiet by our government, because of the overwhelming [amount] of Jewish influence in our government.I look forward to you developing this argument.:rolleyes:

Especially if you can square it with one you offered previously.I have a huge respect for all religions, and could care less how you pray, or who you pray too.

I judge a man by his character not his religious beliefs.

Box
02-08-2012, 04:07
If we could just get them hapless jews away from the government then we could get some peaceful god fearing Muslims into a few key positions....

...I say we start feedin' some christians to the lions as well. Waaaay to many of them sneaky bastards in the government.

JJ_BPK
02-08-2012, 04:11
Originally Posted by wmaousley View Post
Lets take a look at something kept quiet by our government, because of the overwhelming [amount] of Jewish (SIC:insert religion of choice) influence in our government.

I look forward to you developing this argument.:rolleyes:

Especially if you can square it with one you offered previously.

Please do.. :munchin

Pete
02-08-2012, 05:36
At least she still has her life. Now if she was Muslim......

Utah Bob
02-08-2012, 07:47
Please expound on your Jewish conspiracy theories.

Richard
02-08-2012, 08:01
Lets take a look at something kept quiet by our government, because of the overwhelming amoung of Jewish influence in our government.

Attached comment.

craigepo
02-08-2012, 09:31
"Lets take a look at something kept quiet by our government, because of the overwhelming amoung of Jewish influence in our government.

http://shine.yahoo.com/love-sex/unorthodox-womans-journey-repression-freedom-201000868.html

OK, I took a look. I am waiting for the enlightenment that I'm sure you will provide.

HOLLiS
02-08-2012, 09:47

Yes, can you expound more on this "Jewish Influence" in our government?

afchic
02-08-2012, 11:17
OK, I took a look. I am waiting for the enlightenment that I'm sure you will provide.

Dollars to donuts he comes back with.......... "look at the support we give Israel"

Anyone want to make that bet???

Sigaba
02-08-2012, 17:16
I foresee references to New York intellectuals, comedy writers in the TMZ, theories about Beyonce Knowles's baby, and frequent use of "stab in the back" metaphors.:rolleyes:
Dollars to donuts he comes back with.......... "look at the support we give Israel"

Anyone want to make that bet???Wait. Does that mean if I accept the wager and win, I get donuts?

Richard
02-08-2012, 18:39
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8unqrdurxyg

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

GratefulCitizen
02-08-2012, 20:12
because of the overwhelming amoung of Jewish influence in our government.

Moses did have a profound effect on our government.
So did Jesus.
And Paul.
:D

BOfH
02-09-2012, 14:52
I'll bite :rolleyes:

Note: I will follow up with some of my sources locations once I am home as I do not have access to them at work.

Ms. Feldman's issue is not uncommon, nor is it new. There are some groups within Orthodox Jewry who repress sexuality, usually as a means of protecting the "innocent", more or less a way to combat some of the current views on sex and sexuality and affecting the community. Truth be told, almost all groups/sects within the Orthodox community do it to some extent.

As far as the community that she grew up in, some of their practices are questionable, if not outright in conflict with Jewish law:

Many Hasidic sects, Satmar especially, took some extreme measures to stem the loss of young men and women to the enlightenment(circa late 1800's to early 1900's), some of their more extreme *current* practices were borne from that era.

For example, while a married Jewish woman has the requirement to cover her hair and dress modestly in public, their practice of shaving their heads is wrong, and has been called out by several mainstream Orthodox leaders.

The concept of modesty in Judaism does not stem from the idea of repressing women, or treating them as second class citizens. The goal is that a women is modest in public so that she does not have to be in private with her husband[1], essentially preserving that which is special between them, and not "cheapening" it by displaying it to the world.

That said, sex and sexuality has sadly become a taboo subject in the Orthodox world. Unlike some of the prevailing views of sex as "just another bodily function", in Judaism, sex is a special act between a husband and wife, Maimonides[2] states that the revelation that occurs in the bedroom is as great as the one at Sinai. A man is required to give his wife three things, one of them being sex[3], if he refuses, the courts send several strong men over to his dwelling, and they tie him to a chair and beat him with brambles until he either acquiesces or gives her a divorce[4].

While the importance of the act has been cheapened by wanton lust and Western ideals, the Orthodox communities efforts to protect themselves from it have only made the situation worse by making sexuality what it isn't according to Jewish law...

When she was twelve, she suffered a sexual assault, which she kept hidden because she had been taught that men's lust was ungovernable.

First things first: the reporting and handling of sexual abuse in the Orthodox community, especially in some of the Hasidic communities is a massive problem[5]. The issue is a complex one, as there are laws regarding turning in a fellow Jew to secular authorities[6], much of the law and interpretation around it was when doing so meant a certain death for that individual. In this day and age, when NOT doing so will do more harm, these laws need to be revisited. The good news is that there are community leaders and organizations that are making headway in this area. I recently attended a very informative presentation at my daughters school regarding this issue, and her class was given a similar presentation by a social worker with over 30 years of experience in dealing with abuse and abuse victims.

As far as "men's lust was ungovernable", that is complete bullsh*t. There is no place in Jewish law that I know of which permits a man to do whatever he pleases. In fact, there are several negative commandments regarding prostitution. If anything, controlling those lusts is paramount as sexual purity is a cornerstone of Judaism.

[1]Rambam, Mishnah Torah, Kedushah
[2]Rambam, Mishnah Torah
[3]Rambam, Mishnah Torah, Nashim, 1:12:2
[4]Talmud, Sanhedrin
[5]http://www.nypost.com/p/news/local/brooklyn/orthodox_sex_abuse_scandal_Vzaqd3TbKtikUv0h6b3clI
[6] Moser and Malshin(translated: one who gives over and one who snitches)

Box
02-09-2012, 22:07
I dont get it...
...are there too many Jews and Christians running the US government or not?

Utah Bob
02-10-2012, 09:09
I dont get it...
...are there too many Jews and Christians running the US government or not?

There are too many idiots ruining the US government.
I'm not sure about their religious preferences.;)

BOfH
02-10-2012, 10:18
There are too many idiots ruining the US government.
I'm not sure about their religious preferences.;)

Indeed. So to address QP Billy L-bach's and wmaousley's concern(s): It really doesn't matter, whether there are, or aren't, and whomever they are, their true religion is probably that of the dollar.

The insular communities which Ms. Feldman speaks of have their own system of fear and reprisal which keeps them that way. Maybe some local political leaders have something to do with the status quo, but there is no grand conspiracy of repression in Hasidic communities involving Jewish politicians, instead, you have many who may be devout and pious, of which some use it at as a cover to continue doing harm, all while parsing and twisting Jewish law to make it all look legitimate, no matter what their position is on the totem pole.

Box
02-10-2012, 14:49
So to address QP Billy L-bach's and wmaousley's concern

Not 'my' concern... I am merely waiting for wmaousley to detail his original post...

I just want to know who is running the government. Is it money hungry elitists, or do we have some sort of evil religious sect controlling our government like Emperor Palpatine controlled Darth Vader.

I am also confused about the connection between Hasidic modesty and this overwhelming Jewish influence in our government...

...I am more than comfortable with heaping the sarcasm high when it comes to discussing religion and politics.

BRING OUT THE LIONS !!!

Utah Bob
02-10-2012, 17:00
Not 'my' concern... I am merely waiting for wmaousley to detail his original post...

I just want to know who is running the government. Is it money hungry elitists, or do we have some sort of evil religious sect controlling our government like Emperor Palpatine controlled Darth Vader.

I am also confused about the connection between Hasidic modesty and this overwhelming Jewish influence in our government...

...I am more than comfortable with heaping the sarcasm high when it comes to discussing religion and politics.

BRING OUT THE LIONS !!!

Palpatine was a Jew, too?
Who knew?:rolleyes:

Box
02-10-2012, 20:34
Palpatine was a Jew, too?
Who knew?:rolleyes:

Touché my friend

T-Rock
02-10-2012, 21:42
...because of the overwhelming amoung of Jewish influence in our government.

I knew it, Henry Ford was right......it's those darned "Protocols" :eek: :D

> http://ddickerson.igc.org/protocols.html

> http://www.amazon.com/Lie-That-Wouldnt-Die-Protocols/dp/0853035954

:munchin

dr. mabuse
02-10-2012, 22:47
... comedy writers in the TMZ...:rolleyes:

Well now, maybe.... :munchin

"reporters in the TMZ."

Sigaba
02-10-2012, 22:59
It really doesn't matter, whether there are, or aren't, and whomever they are, their true religion is probably that of the dollar.
As Craig Ferguson would ask his somewhat reliable one-armed side kick, "Is this code?":rolleyes:

(It really does matter. At least, IME, to people who want to be taken seriously. Else we'd just get all our information from Wikipedia, the blogosphere, and scuttlebutt.)

BOfH
02-11-2012, 22:42

So do I

As far as I know, there is none. Like you, I am still waiting on wmaousley to clarify...

(It really does matter. At least, IME, to people who want to be taken seriously. Else we'd just get all our information from Wikipedia, the blogosphere, and scuttlebutt.)

To clarify, my answer was in response to Jewish influence in government with regards to some conspiracy of repressing women in Hasidic communities and clear up some misconceptions about women and Jewish law as quoted in the article posted. Is there too much Jewish influence in government as whole? maybe, maybe not, not my area of expertise, nor do I really care...

CRad
02-12-2012, 00:07
...I say we start feedin' some christians to the lions as well. Waaaay to many of them sneaky bastards in the government.

That is IT!! Seriously Billy!! And I mean it this time. Either YOU capitalize Christian from now on or I am going to call you a radical. There is nothing else for it. I don't know what else to say to you...