N3rdByrd
02-05-2012, 21:43
Nothing to see here.

mojaveman
02-05-2012, 21:48
How about Information Technology?

JJ_BPK
02-06-2012, 05:14
I plan on going to college before enlisting with 18X. I am looking for suggestions on majors that could be relevant to 18E.

I worked at a large computer manufacturing company. When I retired I was a senior systems designer. My area of expertise covered all things manufacturing.

When I interviewed candidates fresh from college, I looked for people with backgrounds in the type of manufacturing that represented my clients.

Example:

CPA's for purchasing systems,, and taught them programing
EE's for manufacturing process development and taught them programing
Civil Engineers for inventory control and taught them programing

My suggestion would to be as rounded a student as possible. The ability to preform is based on knowledge both the technical and applicability aspects of the subject area.

Get a good solid education(no basket weaving) in the math and sciences,, AND sports.

When you get to the MOS segment of the Q, you will be introduced to equipment that is not even made yet..

There will probably be Iboxes with voice controlled, GPS directed, networked, secured & integrated fire control systems, w/laser weapons guidance..

Opps,, forgot, we already have that, but it was outdated 10 minutes ago.. :D

Good luck..

"The mumblings of a FOG" :munchin

N3rdByrd
02-06-2012, 06:05
Thanks. This is very helpful

f50lrrp
02-06-2012, 11:15
I majored in ENGLISH. Bull Simons was a COMMUNICATIONS Major!

:lifter

Richard
02-06-2012, 11:46
IMO - follow your personal strengths, talents, and interests first - and then maybe something along the lines of a Major in regional studies/international relations/international business with a language requirement and overseas study/internship with an international firm/government agency combined with a Minor in a science or engineering program such as IT or Digital Engineering.

Experience, a broad base of knowledge, personal contacts, language and specialized marketable skills, and personal fitness.

It's your $$ and your life...good luck with it.

Richard :munchin

mark46th
02-08-2012, 15:00
While you are in school, look for an electronics company or something in a related field that has an intern program. Get on board and learn programming, on line security, etc. My era of commo is long gone. No more stringing up a couple of pieces of wire using a stick as an insulator...

albeham
02-09-2012, 15:50
BEET.....

GROL

GMDSS

ask me....

Electron
02-23-2012, 15:40
I would suggest getting some basic and/or intermediate-advanced electronics training... Ohm's Law, batteries, basic soldering, etc... You will be glad you did.

glebo
02-23-2012, 16:57
IT field, Networking, Network security. A=, Net+, SecNet, etc, etc.

It also helps as stated, to go with what you're comfortable with, you'll do better at learning.

Good luck.

GIANITUS
03-03-2012, 14:11
CONCUR... if you want to be an impressive Communicator, use the next four years to master COMPUTERS and NETWORKING! You won't regret it.