PDA

View Full Version : PCSing w/ children.

exsquid
02-02-2012, 21:19
HH6 and I are preparing to do our first PCS move w/ children. Any suggestions for moving with toddlers. Any pitfalls to avoid or positive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

x/S

WholeManin2010
02-02-2012, 21:35
Bring as many toys and such that they use or play with regularly at home with you. Kiddie cups and utensils too. Don't let the movers pack that stuff. Bring it in the car if you're driving, or Fed Ex to the new place if you're flying.

If you intend to find a home during permissive TDY, you may be living in a hotel or lodging for some time, and they will be looking for familiar things. The setting doesn't seem to matter as much to them as what they are used to seeing every day.

BRAVO-SMASH
02-02-2012, 22:12
HH6 and I are preparing to do our first PCS move w/ children. Any suggestions for moving with toddlers. Any pitfalls to avoid or positive suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

x/S

Research the area you are PCSing to now. Know the general area before moving there. If you are looking to get more out of your move, I suggest you look into "you pack/we ship" type move (upack.com). The army will pay you what they would pay the moving company. Got a couple cars? Ship one, drive the other. Send your family home while you scout a place at the area you are moving to then fly them in. The army will pay for their tickets. Its better to only have to worry about yourself than hole up little ones in a hotel room. Even after all this, you will still make out with a nice chunk of cash. Just a few pointers I hoped help.

Ambush Master
02-02-2012, 22:25
I totally concur!! This is the same as any long journey, i.e. DFW to Hawaii. Have done it several times, as Stand-By/Non-Revs that can be stuck enroute for DAYS!!! Take enough "Busy Stuff" and bring along some "New" items that they are interested in, but don't know that you have, that can be used to de-fuze a possible melt-down!! Also, if you've got a "Family Poncho Liner(s)" etc. that they are comfortable with, it is more easily packed/carried than normal blankets/quilts etc.!!

Have a SAFE trip!!
Martin

Tree Potato
02-02-2012, 22:25
Make it an adventure, give them a job or two, and include them in decisions. Things as simple as having the youngsters keep track of everyone's pillow, keeping the driving cooler clean and organized, garbage detail at every stop, and being in charge of leashes, dog food and water helped ours feel important and like they had some control in their lives rather than just being yanked around. Keeping up routines like calling grandparents on specific nights, bedtime routines like prayers and reading, and daily exercise (real playgrounds, not those McDonald's things) at a consistent time gives some continuity to the move. Remember to have fun; your mood will be infectious, so stay positive. Good luck!

35NCO
02-03-2012, 10:59
I have a 2 year old daughter that has been a big learning experience with long drives, flights and trips. A couple of things that have helped my wife and I from going nuts:

Portable DVD players-with all their favorite movies, and some they have not seen yet. My daughter goes nuts for Elmo, Caillou and Sesame street. This alone can keep her content for hours on end.

If you have a smart phone like a Iphone or Android, get some of those shows on your phone. Helps when you are waiting at restaurants and in situations where you cant always have the DVD player.

Small toys and interesting objects are important too. But pace yourself on how and when you introduce them to the kid. You dont want to use up all your resources too early. Like we know what her favorite toys are, but time interested in things she already has does not last long, so have new things, like a couple small toys she has never seen. It does not have to be fancy, my daughter was fascinated with my watch for a good 20 minutes one day.

Snacks are super important too, my toddler gets hungry often, and often at very inconvenient times. So crackers, and welches gummy fruits are always good. Easy things for that at airports and decent truck stops are the small fruit containers and crackers and cheese. (cut to non-choking size, you will need to do) Blueberrys are pretty safe.

As noted above with the toys and movers, whatever you do, dont let them pack the kids favorite toys! You will hear about it for days!

Crayons and coloring books are great too. Keep a smaller notepad and a small box of crayons in your bag, or wifes purse, they help out a lot, and having a back up for long stops or dinner on the road is awesome.

One more thing, for little ones have more than enough diapers, wipes, and changes of clothes. Its easy to over look how many diapers the little one might go through in a day.

I am no expert, but I am learning as I go with this stuff too, I hope these things help you out. Good luck on your trip! :)

35NCO
02-03-2012, 11:23
One more critical thing, make sure you plan stops for the kids to walk or run around for awhile. If you dont burn down some of that excess energy during the trip, they will be up all night, when all you want to do is sleep!