PDA

View Full Version : For you MFF guys

PRB
01-27-2012, 17:32
http://player.vimeo.com/video/31481531?autoplay=1

Papa Zero Three
01-27-2012, 17:44
news flash, Jeb Corliss (guy in the video) is currently in a south African hospital after base jumping table mountain and clipping a ridge with his legs. The incident has caused a huge falling out between the local base jumpers and their gov't at working towards allowing BASE jumping in the country, years of work destroyed by his one selfish act. A lot of people are not happy with Jeb for this as well as other day blazing of objects and general disregard for people's backyards. To the uninitiated, his antics look cool, but the truth is there are lots of people doing the same thing everyday, they just don't make a media day of it and plaster it everywhere. In other words, they have a quiet professional approach to what they do, where as Jeb is your typical spotlight ranger, the epitome of a self licking ice cream cone and general all around douche bag.

JJ_BPK
01-27-2012, 18:14
news flash, Jeb Corliss (guy in the video)

is your typical spotlight ranger, the epitome of a self licking ice cream cone and general all around douche bag.

Correct PZ3,,

But the video is still awesome..

T-Rock
01-27-2012, 19:03
But the video is still awesome..

It is !! :cool:

It would be cool to spend several months climbing those walls..

Anybody here have a GoPro ?

PRB
01-27-2012, 21:56
Never heard of Jeb, just liked the vid.

Ambush Master
01-27-2012, 22:20

I've got one, and have 20-30 Jumps with it, plus a few Bonneville Rides. They are GREAT!! Without the extended/X-tra Battery Pack, you can record close to 8 hrs of Hi-Def Video and Audio, with recharging about every couple of hours or so, but with the Batt-Pack.....it's an all-day machine!!

It really is HIGH QUALITY Hi-Def!!

Later
Martin

BRAVO-SMASH
01-27-2012, 22:27

Good video quality, but looks pretty goofy seeing the GoPro on foreheads while on patrol. For streamlined, practical employment for what we do, Contour HD is my camera of choice. We made a pretty sweet team video with a compilation of all our Contour HDs of our last deployment.

blue02hd
01-27-2012, 22:36
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TWfph3iNC-k

This is my favorite Jeb vid I've seen.

BRAVO-SMASH
01-27-2012, 23:03

Thats the most RAD crap I have ever seen!

Zorro
01-27-2012, 23:22
http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110723/NEWS10/707239987

T-Rock
01-27-2012, 23:25
I've got one, and have 20-30 Jumps with it, plus a few Bonneville Rides. They are GREAT!! Without the extended/X-tra Battery Pack, you can record close to 8 hrs of Hi-Def Video and Audio, with recharging about every couple of hours or so, but with the Batt-Pack.....it's an all-day machine!!

It really is HIGH QUALITY Hi-Def!!

Later
Martin

The Batt-Pack is next on my list Thanks!

The GF got one of these this Christmas for me to use while climbing, paddling and such. However, being technologically challenged :D, could you, or do you recommend a specific program for editing, dubbing in music and splicing in photos ?

I have played around with the windows movie maker but for some reason it seems to be losing quality when it's uploaded and edited :confused:

Supposedly the Apple iMac already has a decent program installed to do whatever needs to be done with editing and such, but I'm not in the market for a new computer just yet... :D

ETA

Holy shiite :-)

After doing that sort of thing what's left to do ? climbing would seem so mundane...

Ambush Master
01-27-2012, 23:39
Major Jeremy Graczyk

http://www.unionleader.com/article/20110723/NEWS10/707239987

HAND-SALUTE!!!.........To you Brother!!

Later.
Martin

JJ_BPK
01-28-2012, 04:04

I think GoPro financed a portion of the film. If you go to their site they have a bunch of videos of snow sports with similar quality and bravado.

Here is their you-tube site with a sample film. There is a bit of this included, watch at 45 sec..

http://www.youtube.com/user/GoProCamera?feature=watch

A friend, that does underwater video professionally, has one and speaks very highly of the simplicity and quality, for the price and size.

:lifter

Sorry for the Hi-Jack.. :p

Guymullins
01-28-2012, 05:45
news flash, Jeb Corliss (guy in the video) is currently in a south African hospital after base jumping table mountain and clipping a ridge with his legs. The incident has caused a huge falling out between the local base jumpers and their gov't at working towards allowing BASE jumping in the country, years of work destroyed by his one selfish act. A lot of people are not happy with Jeb for this as well as other day blazing of objects and general disregard for people's backyards. To the uninitiated, his antics look cool, but the truth is there are lots of people doing the same thing everyday, they just don't make a media day of it and plaster it everywhere. In other words, they have a quiet professional approach to what they do, where as Jeb is your typical spotlight ranger, the epitome of a self licking ice cream cone and general all around douche bag.

All he had to do was apply for a permit from the Parks Board, much as one had to do to jump from El Capitan in Yosemite in the day. He didnt bother, so much work of building trust between the Parks people and base jumpers was set back.
He was very lucky as his brush with the mountain sent him tumbling and ruined any lift his suit was generating. He managed to dump his pilot chute before really meeting the mountain and got away with broken legs.

greenberetTFS
01-28-2012, 06:39
When I was in they had no MFF program but I swear to GOD I'd have given it a shot, it's so damn cool.............:cool:

When did they start MFF formal training?.........:confused: Also where can I find the requirements that you had to have to get accepted for the training program........:D

Big Teddy :munchin

Richard
01-28-2012, 07:15
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=35227

That 'sales' video is much better than the news video posted earlier.

Richard :munchin

SPEC4
01-28-2012, 09:46
When I was in they had no MFF program but I swear to GOD I'd have given it a shot, it's so damn cool.............:cool:

When did they start MFF formal training?.........:confused: Also where can I find the requirements that you had to have to get accepted for the training program........:D

I went through MFF in spring of 1970. I was pulled off aggressor detail at Mackall and the SMAJ offered me a choice, MFF or another month at Mackall. I had the most important qualification....I was in the right place at the right time, I started the class the next day. I found out years later that wings were eventually created, wish I had a set.

JJ_BPK
01-28-2012, 10:15
I found out years later that wings were eventually created, wish I had a set.

You can request retro awarding of your MFF wings.

The school had to be acknowledged and you need to show orders and the class on your DD-214, sect 25, education and training. Plus other paperwork..

PM me and I'll fill you in on the particulars..

I submitted for the my tab and Combat Divers badge a couple yrs ago. It took about 4 months..

:munchin

blue02hd
01-28-2012, 11:51
Edited by BLUE02HD

ECUPirate09
01-28-2012, 14:35
Found this a few months ago, and the link on here reminded me of it.
http://www.phoenix-fly.com/media/video_gallery

You can Youtube or Vimeo a bunch of other videos from the same group.

SPEC4
02-09-2012, 09:57
MFF in spring of 1970.
:D

T-Rock
02-19-2012, 16:40
news flash, Jeb Corliss (guy in the video) is currently in a south African hospital after base jumping table mountain and clipping a ridge with his legs. The incident has caused a huge falling out between the local base jumpers and their gov't at working towards allowing BASE jumping in the country, years of work destroyed by his one selfish act.

From his Facebook page:

I was asked in a base jumping forum what happened. This was my response.

Well the answer is very simple. I was flying to close and messed up :) I was going for a black balloon that was basically laying on the rocks and was going to try and kick it with my foot. In order to do this I had to fly low and flat between boulders. My left foot clipped a boulder that dragged me into a flat ledge that I ...took at the waist at full speed. If I had not clipped that boulder I might have made it, I might have still impacted. It's very hard to tell from the footage. Everything happens very fast. But when you go for a flight where inches are the difference between making it and not making it well impact is very possible. I knew this and took the risk and paid the price for pushing way to hard. I take full responsibility for my actions and am just happy I still have legs to do rehab on.

This is not my first time getting hurt and it will not be my last. I push it, always have and always will. One day I will die and I just hope that when I do, it will be doing something I truly love...

Jeb

P.S. I want to thank everyone for their support. 99% of you have been very very nice to me :) For the other 1% I agree with you 100%, I am a total dumb ass :) I am human and humans make mistakes. I am sorry for what ever inconvenience I have caused anyone...

Richard
02-19-2012, 18:13
MFF in spring of 1970.
:D

MC1's w/blast handles - we were still using the same rigs in 1977 until we started transitioning to the MC3's.

Richard :munchin

Papa Zero Three
02-19-2012, 21:18
From his Facebook page:

Saying you're sorry after you were told not to do something and you go ahead and do it doesn't make it all better, especially when the outcome effects everyone as a whole and not just the individual. That old Army saying, "there is always one" holds true and this douche bag is that one, his saying sorry is like a band aid on a sucking chest wound. Mark my words, as soon as he is able, he will be milking this incident for all it is worth in the media as all spot light rangers are wont to do.

blue02hd
02-19-2012, 21:46
Papa Zero Three,

Have you actually met Corliss? Just trying to better understand why you have such a strong position on this guy.

v/r

Defion69
02-19-2012, 21:47
Awesome video....great at how humans push the limit.

PZ3....relax man...it's all good. Did Jeb screw up your base jumping events? :D

SPEC4...that is a great pic! Thanks for sharing brother.

LongWire
02-22-2012, 01:29

This incident is featured in the current edition of HBO Real Sports. Coverage includes his most recent incident (he's lucky to be alive with as hard as he hit) as well as when his buddy burned in to Mesa Canyon bridge (footage that I had previously seen was blacked out for the impact).

Papa Zero Three
02-22-2012, 09:16
Blue 02hd, yes, he is like that one guy we've all had in our company that keeps getting bounced around from team to team and eventually to Bn and Grp.

Longwire, you are correct, that is just one example on a long list of incidents he has in his history. In SF we call these indicators,hopefully everyone can see an emerging pattern here.

LongWire
02-22-2012, 20:02
Longwire, you are correct, that is just one example on a long list of incidents he has in his history. In SF we call these indicators,hopefully everyone can see an emerging pattern here.

Okay, I have followed parts of his career for the last few years whenever he has popped up on my radar. He pushes limits, and sometimes boundaries. Which of us can say that we haven't pissed some folks off in our wake? Is he crazy? In some circles yes..........around here, I would consider him another dude, who happens to be very good at what he does.

Will he die doing the very things that get him attention? Fuck Yes, most certainly. He would probably tell you the same thing, no bones about it. Can't say that Im a fan, but I'm not jumping on the hate train either.

YMMV..............

PSM
02-23-2012, 10:04
Here's a video of the incident: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LEFCQRwj28w&feature=player_embedded

Pat

LongWire
02-26-2012, 02:18
I will add that I can sure as hell admire his presence of mind after the impact, to regain control of his body position and get his chute open. He definitely saved his own ass. How many more times will he be able to say that?

T-Rock
09-28-2013, 21:02
Holla mighty...... It appears Corliss really pushed the limits on the "dagger."
Gliding through a crack only 30 foot wide for over 900 feet at 100 mph.
I would sh!$ my pants... Lol :D

Video: http://news.sky.com/story/1147663/wingsuiter-jeb-corliss-in-flying-dagger-jump

Outside mag story: http://www.outsideonline.com/outdoor-adventure/aerial-sports/Jeb-Corliss-on-The-Flying-Dagger.html?page=all