PDA

View Full Version : Marine punished due to PC.......

greenberetTFS
01-25-2012, 12:45
http://washingtonexaminer.com/news/world/2012/01/marines-career-threatened-controversial-rules-engagement/2127401

Big Teddy :munchin

Streck-Fu
01-25-2012, 13:07
All Afghan males should be made to wear their DOB in large print on their clothes. :rolleyes:

VAKEMP
01-25-2012, 22:06
Are the current rules of engagement in Afghanistan really that much different from Iraq in '07?

1stLt Waddell's father is right:
"Josh is a hero. We expect them to go out and make instantaneous combat decisions, then we Monday-morning quarterback their decisions. It's an outrage."

Based on the decisions made by both leaders in this instance, I would much rather fight alongside 1stLt Waddell than LtCol Folsom.

Does anyone know if this is the same LtCol Folsom that wrote In The Gray Area (http://www.usni.org/store/books/biography-memoirs/gray-area) and The Highway War?

rdret1
01-26-2012, 08:44
The logic escapes me. What does being teenagers have to do with anything? They weren't shot, the tractor was. Maybe this another case of not having all of the details.

CloseDanger
01-26-2012, 09:35
There must be something else to this.

Utah Bob
01-26-2012, 10:51
Then he made a decision in combat that military experts say has severely jeopardized his future..

Alas, it has always been so.

Dozer523
01-26-2012, 20:39
There must be something else to this.

Yeah, it's the "loss of confidence" clause. (from the article "the decision on whether Waddell should be promoted was "the commander's prerogative," noting that the battalion commander on the scene had lost "confidence in [Waddell's] abilities."
But earlier . . . "After receiving permission from his battalion commanders, Waddell ordered Marine snipers to open fire on the man, and he was hit.
The LT should have asked the Battalion commander if he could shoot the tractor, too.

John_Chrichton
01-26-2012, 21:16
The father is right, this is a betrayal. How can we be expected to fight this war under a set of absurd rules while our enemy follows none? How many lives have been sacrificed to appease the nonsensical demands of Hamid Karzai? How many more will we stand to lose until we learn from our own history and from our enemies?

greenberetTFS
01-27-2012, 07:31
The father is right, this is a betrayal. How can we be expected to fight this war under a set of absurd rules while our enemy follows none? How many lives have been sacrificed to appease the nonsensical demands of Hamid Karzai? How many more will we stand to lose until we learn from our own history and from our enemies?

This is the guy who said he'd support Pakistan and would fight against us if we attacked them!!...........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

alright4u
01-27-2012, 16:32
I read where Captains at the Infantry School for the IOAC gave Gen's and other senior officer's a rude welcome as those addressing the class had never been in combat.

I suspect we still have some LTC's on AD who have never commanded a rifle company or platoon in combat? I hope I am wrong.

Regardless, a 15 year old can damn sure touch two wires and pull a trigger.