PDA

View Full Version : tips for woo'ing recruiters

SoCal
01-25-2012, 10:57
Hello,

Within the next two weeks I will be contacting recruiters to receive an option 40, 11x contract. In some small chit-chat. I've already heard the recruiter say such gems as "I you know you could volunteer for RASP At AIT." Or, "you could serve in the 82nd. Then send a packet in."

Tl;dr what are some good jedi mind tricks for recruiters as of 2012.

Any personal information ill be happy to post or PM upon request. Ill duo my best to read more and post less.

MG*
01-25-2012, 12:39
I don't want to step too far out of my jurisdiction in answering this, but I recently contracted so I'll give you a few thoughts before the flood. (You should probably learn to use the search button or google, or bing, or yahoo.)

1. Don't approach this as a romantic relationship. You're negotiating for your future. There should be no "wooing" or chit-chat, otherwise you're negotiating from a weak position.

2. Approach this as you would a job interview. Their job is to get you into the Army. Your job is to get into the army with an MOS that you like. I guarantee that if you're straight up with them you'll be fine.

3. Contracts have requirements. If you know what your contract requires (PT-wise, ASVAB-wise, etc...) and can meet those requirements, then you can get the job. If you can't meet the requirements, either do more PT and retest on the ASVAB or find another job.

4. Bide your time. There are only so many jobs; there are also quotas for the recruiter to fill. Your contract might not have a slot available until 6 months from now. Another job might be available as of now and your recruiter might push for it. Don't be impatient and take any false promises of "you can sign up for the real job you want during basic."

5. Leading from that last clause... get it in writing. If your contract doesn't have dates for your schools, or if it doesn't read option 40, then you're out of luck. Read the terms before you sign.

Godspeed.
-Jim

SoCal
01-25-2012, 16:00
Understood, ASVAB and PT wise I'm all set, but that wont stop me from striving for more.

I will treat this as I plan to treat the rest of my life, professional.

GM949
01-26-2012, 04:49
I am going to speak on my own personal experience. I returned from Basic Training and AIT barely two months ago, so hopefully I can be a bit of a help here. As said before, if it isn't it writing... it never happened. I was told by my recruiter that there was no Airborne spots available and such was true for RASP or SFAS. If I wanted to get one of those I'd have to "shine" while at Ft. Benning. Bottom line was it never happened. They had no spots available for two reasons; one was because Airborne hold was back up because of Christmas exodus and the other was because none of the states (for the National Guard guys) had money to send them. And, in true Army fashion, one of my guys in my platoon who walked in with an Option 40 and consistently scored above a 350 on the APFT lost his contract because when he signed, it "wasn't filled out properly" and they couldn't honor it. So, remember this is YOUR career you're fighting for. Get everything in contract, make your own copies of EVERYTHING. Good luck.

Surgicalcric
01-26-2012, 06:12
...They had no spots available for two reasons; one was because Airborne hold was back up because of Christmas exodus and the other was because none of the states (for the National Guard guys) had money to send them...

The NG as a rule only sends guys to ABN who NEED to go to airborne. Those who need it are those being assigned to LRS units, REP63s (NG version of 18X), and those assigned to an SF unit.

The Army as a whole should do the same but instead they use it as a recruiting tool and waste an ass ton of money producing 5-jump chumps.

Crip

Dozer523
01-26-2012, 06:52
I don't want to step too far out of my jurisdiction in answering this, Too late.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22758

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.
Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.
Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.
If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

greenberetTFS
01-26-2012, 11:42
Too late.
http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22758

This is a forum where civilians can "ask" the Special Forces soldiers past and present "Special Forces" related questions.
Those questions are then answered by Special Forces soldiers, period.
Questions asked by the general public should NOT be answered by the "general" public.
If you do not have the title of "Quiet Professional" you may ask a question, but leave the "answers" to the QP's.

Excellent point Dozer,these young people don't seem to read instructions before posting,hope it doesn't reflect how they'll conduct themselves while going thru the "Q"........:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

The Reaper
01-26-2012, 19:46
I will yield that they have seen a recruiter a lot more recently than we have.

This thread should probably be elsewhere.

TR

SoCal
01-26-2012, 20:34
I agree that this thread was probably misplaced, most likely by an entire forum.

However, I truly enjoy the insight and competency this site can dish out.

That being said I went to a recruiters today for a small chit chat. Was informed all is lost and doom is on the horizon. They also claimed some strange things, like I could 4187 for RASP at anytime. There were also just other various notifiers of general bullshit, such as the Station " Head recruiter " claiming he got someone with a GED an Option 40 rather recently. Or the recruiters getting Ranger school and RASP confused. That was a fun one.

Oh well. :munchin We'll see how this plays out.

goon175
01-26-2012, 22:01
Not in SF, But I am former 1/75 and current recruiter.

Here is the deal:

-Be willing to wait if you can wait. There are no 11x opt. 40's right now, and there won't be for a while, the only MOS's coming with opt. 40's right now are the support MOS's.

-You are right, the recruiters don't care if you want to be a Ranger or not, and most don't even know what RASP is.

-You cannot just 4187 at anytime for a RASP slot.

-The Regimental liason does a briefing at 30th AG every week, as well as Airborne School every week. If you have the right GT score and meet the other minimum qualifications, you can and will get a RASP slot there, they are actively recruiting guys for it.

greenberetTFS
01-27-2012, 07:22
I will yield that they have seen a recruiter a lot more recently than we have.

This thread should probably be elsewhere.

TR

Your right TR,these non-QP's still think they can answer SF questions better than we can!!!...........:rolleyes:

Big Teddy :munchin

SoCal
01-27-2012, 09:53
Ranger Goon 175, I recognize your SN from my lurking on the armyranger board. I thank you for your information both there and here.

I must inquire if the LNO will be continuing the trend of visiting Airborne into fiscal year 2013. My recruiter also attempted to tell me that DoD downsizing would leave no option 40s available, even when october arrives. Is there any value to that? It would seem like a shot in the dark at best.