PDA

View Full Version : First woman to cross Antarctica alone says 'I'm so tired'

Pete
01-24-2012, 12:45
First woman to cross Antarctica alone says 'I'm so tired'

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/antarctica/9034536/First-woman-to-cross-Antarctica-alone-says-Im-so-tired.html

"The 34-year-old completed the challenge in 59 days, pulling her supplies in two sledges weighing 187lbs (85kg) while enduring temperatures of -22F (-30C), bad weather, and a broken lighter that left her with just 46 matches to light her stove.

But the Briton, from Birchington-on-Sea, said the mental hurdles were the most difficult to overcome.

"I am just so tired," she said.

"Physically it has been tough, but the mental side has been really tough," she told the Guardian after completing the challenge on Monday

"Being alone sounds like such a simple thing but when was the last time you went a whole day without seeing any person? I have been going three weeks without seeing another person and feeling incredible loneliness. ....................."

Congrats, Ms Aston, on a job well done.

And as has been said before on this board "Two is one and one is none - and a broken lighter that left her with just 46 matches to light her stove - not the place to not be able to light your stove.

Notice the mental aspect of the trek.

Pete
01-24-2012, 15:43
Ok, well, I do congratulate her for her successful endeavor but immediately I think two things: 1) WHY? and 2) One lighter? She took one lighter? .............

"........She said she feared for her health when her lighters failed, leaving her with only safety matches. ..........."

From that I guess she had at least two lighters. But I'm wondering if they were the plastic Bic kind? Wonder if she had a Zippo running on the same fuel as her stove?

greenberetTFS
01-24-2012, 17:40
Ok, well, I do congratulate her for her successful endeavor but immediately I think two things: 1) WHY? and 2) [I]One lighter? She took one lighter?

I never get these people.

Personally, I think our Founding Fathers, (or, er, someone) went to a lot of trouble to create central heating and indoor plumbing and I for one feel it's wrong to insult their contribution to society. :rolleyes:

To respond to WHY!,I'll reference Barry Sadler's song "Badge of Courage": If you don't know now then I really can't tell you......... ;)

Big Teddy :munchin

akv
01-24-2012, 18:05
WHY?

This is a reasonable question, where it a man the obvious answer would be all of the 100 plus year old scotch Shackelton left down there?

Pete
01-24-2012, 18:34
This is a reasonable question, where it a man the obvious answer would be all of the 100 plus year old scotch Shackelton left down there?

Yeah, but it was recovered. I watched a show on Discovery or NatGeo about the recovery and it's movement to Scotland where a master blender recreated it. Pretty interesting.

Edited to add - did a google search. She's just not some chick who decided to jump out there without looking. In the old days she would have been called an Adventurer. I'd say in these days and times she would still be called an Adventurer.

glebo
01-24-2012, 19:36
Well, as to answer "why"....because it's there???

Think she'd pass selection???...:eek:

Red Flag 1
01-24-2012, 19:51
Ok, well, I do congratulate her for her successful endeavor but immediately I think two things: 1) WHY? and 2) One lighter? She took one lighter?

I never get these people.

Personally, I think our Founding Fathers, (or, er, someone) went to a lot of trouble to create central heating and indoor plumbing and I for one feel it's wrong to insult their contribution to society. :rolleyes:

" She said she feared for her health when her lighters failed, leaving her with only safety matches." Plural.

It was interesting to note that her toughest time with the isolation was in the morning, just starting her day. A glimpse into the window of folks struggling with depression, many suicides happen during this early morning struggle.

Congrats Ms Aston!! Good on ya , and rest well.

RF 1

Ret10Echo
01-24-2012, 20:47
My initial thought of "I'm so tired"....was...Of course you are...You just crossed a CONTINENT!

Very cool...

As to the lighter: They can be very fickle things in cold weather environments and no fire=no heat and no water. That's bad.

rdret1
01-25-2012, 06:32
Congratulations! She is one tough lady!

Barbarian
01-25-2012, 07:39
Ok, well, I do congratulate her for her successful endeavor but immediately I think two things: 1) WHY? and 2) One lighter? She took one lighter?

Adventure.:lifter

grog18b
01-25-2012, 11:58
Now we all have something to point to when our wives tell us they are "too tired"... :D I'm printing that article and putting it beside the bed. So... you think YOU are tired huh...

Gypsy
01-26-2012, 18:21
Now we all have something to point to when our wives tell us they are "too tired"... :D I'm printing that article and putting it beside the bed. So... you think YOU are tired huh...

LOL!

Brave lady, congrats to her.

Red Flag 1
01-26-2012, 18:35

I like the way you have presented this.

Around here, it would be another saga of, " and that's when the fight started......"

RF 1

greenberetTFS
01-27-2012, 06:26
"and that's why I killed him, Your Honor":D

;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin