PDA

View Full Version : Colombia's Farc rebels destroy radar station

Pete
01-22-2012, 06:07
Colombia's Farc rebels destroy radar station

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-16669488

"Farc rebels in Colombia have destroyed a radar installation, disrupting civil aviation in the south and west of the country, the government says.

Around 100 guerrillas bombarded the mountaintop installation with home-made missiles, killing one of the police guards and and smashing the equipment.

Officials said it would take several months to repair the radar, which is also used to monitor drug trafficking................"

100? That's a lot of FARCs.

JJ_BPK
01-22-2012, 06:30
100? That's a lot of FARCs.

I got the impression that when Mincho Neftali and Alfonso Cato got whacked, the FARC's were pretty much eliminated??

The Reaper
01-22-2012, 13:06
I got the impression that when Mincho Neftali and Alfonso Cato got whacked, the FARC's were pretty much eliminated??

Not eliminated, but much reduced. This sort of thing used to happen on a regular basis.

Gathering a few scattered elements to hit an isolated, lightly-defended target with an indirect fire attack and disappear would not be that difficult, as long as your commo and ability to move undetected were still good.

More important for the propaganda value than the importance of the target.

You don't see them ground assaulting Colombian military bases anymore like they used to.

Punks.

TR

Peregrino
01-22-2012, 13:20
Sounds more like narco-terrorism than a military assault. The radar installation must have been a thorn in the side of their aerial transshipment network. I'd be interested in knowing who came up with the "100 guerrillas" number.

FILO
01-24-2012, 21:08
The situation in Colombia has come a long way over the past 14 years. Attacking a radar station is quite different from successfully attacking and briefly occupying a capital of a department, Mitu in Vaupés. This attack began on 1 November 1998 and I was in-country at the time getting married. That was the worst time I can recall for Colombia. For a little perspective check out this FARC combat video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eeZgy8rgWYs. At the 5:53 minutes part of the video, you'll start see Colombian Govt POWs, many of whom spent 10 plus years in captivity.