PDA

View Full Version : The Oldest "Frogman"......

greenberetTFS
01-12-2012, 14:21
Don Lumsden of Englewood, Fla. oldest living “Frogman” in U.S.A.

www.donmooreswartales.com

For Zonie,Richard and the rest of you guys who love to play underwater.......;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

Sdiver
01-12-2012, 15:32
Amazing. He and his "swim buddies" were true trailblazers.

Thanks for posting this Big Teddy.

CW3SF
01-12-2012, 18:18
That's an awesome read. Thanks for the link.

Red Flag 1
01-12-2012, 19:41
A great read Big Teddy. Can you imagine what he saw when he was standing on the beach @ Nagasaki? Probably makes Don the first American to set foot in Japan.

Thanks for the post !

RF 1

Sarski
01-12-2012, 23:28
Awesome bit of history. Nice picture of the LT with the fins, mask and ka bar...ka bar in his hand.

SF_BHT
01-13-2012, 01:41
Great Teddy. Thanks

Richard
01-13-2012, 05:02
The true History of the UDT program by one who was actually in it and interesting reading of their heroic tasks - and a far cry from the tales of those who would seek to steal their valorous exploits like Gene DeFord did.

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21771

I used to sit and talk with Red King about the Parachute Test Platoon and the early development of Airborne training of what was then called The Parachute School; I would definitely enjoy talking with Mr Lumsden about the early UDT training program, too.

Thanks, Teddy, for a great read.

Richard :munchin

ZonieDiver
01-13-2012, 10:15
When I was 10 or so, before I even knew what Special Forces was, I wanted to be a "Frogman"! A guy two years older in my high school went UDT and gave me his green, numbered, helmet liner from there. I prized it. I was among the "stuff" my mom gave away while I was in the Army. Drat!

Sdiver
01-13-2012, 10:36
When I was 10 or so, before I even knew what Special Forces was, I wanted to be a "Frogman"! A guy two years older in my high school went UDT and gave me his green, numbered, helmet liner from there. I prized it. It was among the "stuff" my mom gave away while I was in the Army. Drat!

WOW !!!!!!! :eek:

She REALLY didn't want you to come visit, did she??? :( :eek:

:D

Go Devil
01-13-2012, 11:59
My uncle, William Gadd, was a Naval Scout/Raider in the Pacific during WW2.
His name is listed in the UDT/Seal Museum.

He had some interesting stories, the best being his enebriated re-enlistment into the Army, believing it to be the Navy, after returning from the war. He fought in Korea with the 187th Airborne and received a battlefield commission. Sadly he passed some years ago.

Sarski
01-14-2012, 00:32
I keep thinking of the 10" pilings that these frogmen had to belly crawl alongside. Sticking up more than 10" would have meant detection and/or death.

They probably sucked it in, and went with nine, giving a 1" safety margin.

Also no mention of any sidearms, just the ka bars, mask, fins, explosives and wires.

VeniceBeaches
02-08-2012, 16:05
Mr. Lumsden has cancer and his days are numbered. Failing fast. www.411.com his name and town, if you wish to send a card while he's still with us.

His story on War Tales had the most "hits" ever, and is still garnering attention.