PDA

View Full Version : Woman's bungee cord snaps

Last hard class
01-09-2012, 12:17
365' drop. That's gotta sting.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/45925027/#slice-2

Africa is usually the first place that comes to mind when I think safety.

LHC

greenberetTFS
01-09-2012, 13:12
All I've got to say is that gal has really got a big set of cojones.......;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

Pete
01-09-2012, 13:30
Good thing it breaks at the bottom - not so far to fall - and the cord slowed her a bit - but still..........

Watch the line snap, shoot past her and hit the water - just as the clip ends you see her splash partially hidden by the rail.

rdret1
01-09-2012, 13:40
I saw this on CNN a little earlier. She is lucky to be alive. Bungee jumping was always one of those things that I never had a hankering to do.

Richard
01-09-2012, 13:48
Bet she'll get serious about starting her New Year's diet resolution now...

Richard :munchin

mark46th
01-09-2012, 15:17
The broken cord was tangled underwater, holding her down. She had enough presence of mind to untangle it and swim to the surface. Smart kid!!

abc_123
01-09-2012, 15:54
The broken cord was tangled underwater, holding her down. She had enough presence of mind to untangle it and swim to the surface. Smart kid!!

...and make it downstream to some rocks...With her feet bound together.

ZonieDiver
01-09-2012, 17:14
A friend once suggested we go bungee jumping, back when it was in its prime here the the USA. I told him I'd never take part in any activity in which the owner's major investment was essentially a large rubber band.:D

Peregrino
01-09-2012, 18:53
Three points:

#1 - That Sheila needs to raise a large family. Those genes need to be preserved/propogated!

#2 - I don't want to hear any more stories from guys who couldn't handle the drownproofing exercise in pre-SCUBA.

#3 - 3rd world countries aren't the place to engage in optional high-risk activities unless you have total control of every aspect of the operation.

Burns76
01-09-2012, 22:09
#3 - 3rd world countries aren't the place to engage in optional high-risk activities unless you have total control of every aspect of the operation.

Well said.

Ambush Master
01-09-2012, 22:33
Negative, It's a MUCH SMALLER Brain!!

I saw this on CNN a little earlier. She is lucky to be alive. Bungee jumping was always one of those things that I never had a hankering to do.

Ditto here, I'll jump out of airplanes all day long, Bungies are out of the picture!!

Later
Martin

Ambush Master
01-09-2012, 22:35

Negative, It's a MUCH SMALLER Brain!!

Ditto here, I'll jump out of airplanes all day long, Bungies are out of the picture!!

Later
Martin

Guymullins
01-10-2012, 04:29
The Zambezi is chock full of crocs too. I agree with the third world safety standards. I live there and the "dont fix it if it aint broke" attitude to maintenance is guaranteed to eventually end with "OK, now its broke, lets fix it."
She is very lucky not to have impacted with a submerged rock or been washed downstream in the swiftly flowing waters. It is rainy season now and the Zambezi can really move and if she jumped from the bridge I think she did, going over the Victoria Falls is not a survivable excersize.

echoes
01-10-2012, 17:55

And Sir, looking at your avatar, (which Rocks!) would give me serious consideration before doing so! Good Advice.

Agreed Sir. When I was in Peru, there were lots of opportunities to do this kind of thing, but thankfully someone here on PS told me to keep my SA on High....and I did not engage in the offerings. Instead I chose drinking whisky with a QP....:lifter Much more fun, and far less dangerous! ;)

Holly

abc_123
01-10-2012, 18:50
Much more fun, and far less dangerous! ;)

Holly

Fun? Definitely.

Less Dangerous? Theoretically.

Utah Bob
01-10-2012, 18:51
Bungee jumping is just one of the most useless activities I've ever seen. Pointless. At least if you jump out of an airplane you get somewhere.:rolleyes:

echoes
01-10-2012, 19:29
Fun? Definitely.

Less Dangerous? Theoretically.

Okay Sir...please elaborate!!!!;):cool: Inquiring female minds want to know....l:lifter

Holly

JJ_BPK
01-10-2012, 20:45
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/world/australian-woman-erin-langworthy-survives-111m-bungee-fall-into-the-zambezi-river/story-e6frf7lf-1226239519000

A little bit of an interview and footage of the jump..

She was lucky... :lifter

mark46th
01-10-2012, 22:29
The one thing about conducting these activities in a 3rd world setting is the lack of Personal Injury attorneys and liability laws..... No Offense, RL....

PSM
01-10-2012, 22:43
No Offense, RL....

Damn...another hernia!!! :mad:

Pat

Guymullins
01-11-2012, 02:57
The one thing about conducting these activities in a 3rd world setting is the lack of Personal Injury attorneys and liability laws..... No Offense, RL....

Even we 3rd World incompetents have heard of Imdemnity Forms which hold operators immune from culpability, acts of God and even gross negligence. You dont get to be 3rd world without allowing the guilty to continue without punishment. Thats how our dictator system works too.

mojaveman
01-11-2012, 18:24
Let's see, back when bungee jumping was new and not perfected a few people were strangled when the cord got tangled around their necks, a couple others came unattached during the recoil and fell to their deaths, but never has anyone broke the line and fell into a river filled with crocodiles.

That's definately one to tell the grandkids about. :p