Worth buying it ?

Grtx Driz

Drizabone
01-09-2012, 06:17
more pictures
pics 1-4 are brandnew, 5-9 taken 2010

Roguish Lawyer
01-09-2012, 11:32
Please post an intro before anything else here. Thanks.

Drizabone
01-10-2012, 09:56
OK

LongWire
01-10-2012, 18:46
What am I missing here? Is it a limited run/early edition? That price is really steep for that knife. Is that in US Dollars?

Bill Harsey
01-10-2012, 23:49
What am I missing here? Is it a limited run/early edition? That price is really steep for that knife. Is that in US Dollars?

This folding knife is one of the original Applegate Fairbairn Folding knives.
I am the primary designer of this for Col. Rex Applegate, Butch Vallotton helped me with the making of about 150 of these.

All blade grinding, heat treating, sharpening, filing, handle shaping and grooving was done by me.
Butch roughed in each set of parts, I finished.
The blades are 154CM Steel, handles are titanium. Handles scales are micarta.

Every knife was hand delivered by me to Rex Applegate and he sold them from his office. This knife resulted in Gerber making the AF Folders we see today.

I do not participate in the secondary sales market of my work but this is what they sell for when I see them on the market, and it is fairly rare to see them listed for sale.

Bill Harsey
01-10-2012, 23:51
OK

Welcome aboard here Sir.

LongWire
01-11-2012, 00:04
I am the primary designer of this for Col. Rex Applegate, Butch Vallotton helped me with the making of about 150 of these.

All blade grinding, heat treating, sharpening, filing, handle shaping and grooving was done by me.

Every knife was hand delivered by me to Rex Applegate and he sold them from his office. This knife resulted in Gerber making the AF Folders we see today.

I do not participate in the secondary sales market of my work but this is what they sell for when I see them on the market, and it is fairly rare to see them listed for sale.

Thanks for filling in the blanks Bill.

Drizabone
01-11-2012, 05:59
Is that in US Dollars?

Yes, USD

Drizabone
01-11-2012, 07:20

Thank you for giving a comment to this knife, Mr. Harsey !
It is a privileg to learn about the making and the background of a knife from the designer and maker himself.

This special knife was in stock at a knife-shop in Dortmund/Germany for over 11 years. I found it while searching the internet for an Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Smatchet. According to the dealer it is unused except some feeling up by more or less interested customers. I purchased it online last Monday - hope, it will arrive undamaged.....

Barbarian
01-11-2012, 07:41
I purchased it online last Monday - hope, it will arrive undamaged.....

You bought a knife with some real history, there. Congratulations.

Drizabone
01-11-2012, 07:51
You bought a knife with some real history, there. Congratulations.

Thank you !

I'm very interested in military history as well as in close combat (exercises in Krav Maga and knife fighting), so it was just a matter of time to discover the writings of Rex Applegate, W. E. Fairbairn and A. Sykes - and finally the knives !!!

Bill Harsey
01-11-2012, 08:56
Thank you for giving a comment to this knife, Mr. Harsey !
It is a privileg to learn about the making and the background of a knife from the designer and maker himself.

This special knife was in stock at a knife-shop in Dortmund/Germany for over 11 years. I found it while searching the internet for an Applegate/Fairbairn Combat Smatchet. According to the dealer it is unused except some feeling up by more or less interested customers. I purchased it online last Monday - hope, it will arrive undamaged.....

First, please know that from your photographs I can guarantee this knife is made by Butch and I.
You paid a fair price as I have not seen one offered for less.
These knives were really made 100% by hand, no CNC machines involved.
All parts cut out by hand, all grinding and finishing by hand.

Your knife does look like it has the original edge that I did.

LongWire
01-11-2012, 09:23
First, please know that from your photographs I can guarantee this knife is made by Butch and I.

That is awesome stuff right there!!!!

Drizabone
01-11-2012, 10:01

Thanks again
Your expertise makes me happy having done this purchase.
The photographs were taken from the knife shop's owner.
I will upload detailed HiRes photographs after the knife has arrived.

pyreaux
01-11-2012, 11:09
Interesting coincidence I found one recently as well. Waiting for it to ship and if the op doesn't mind I'll drop some pics in here as well once I receive it.

pyreaux
01-12-2012, 20:19
Found Number 50. On the way to my house, should be in on saturday.

pyreaux
01-17-2012, 22:00
Finally arrived

PiterM
01-22-2012, 13:56
Congrats! It's a classic!

Drizabone
01-27-2012, 09:04
number 79 arrived

Drizabone
01-27-2012, 09:13
number 79 arrived - in perfect condition