PDA

View Full Version : Are you a nerd that is interested in fitness?

Cake_14N
01-08-2012, 16:39
Check out fitocracy.com. Evidently a couple of WoW nerds decided to leave the game and join the real world. They came to the conclusion that the reason games like WoW are so popular is because you can get recognized for small achievements and actually see your fame grow as you level up. They created the site fitocracy to bring some of that "nerdness" to the fitness world. You can join and create a profile and log your fitness activities. You get points for what you do and can be awarded levels, achievements, and titles.

It has both a free and paid component, and looks like it just might be a small motivational push for those that might need it.

I would suspect that you QP's will blow this site out of the water and quickly rise to the top of the leaderboards as I understand your daily fitness routines are phenomenal. They have challenges and the ability to create groups to issue those challenges. All in all it looks like something interesting to help motivate folks to get off of the couch.

Cake

Sarski
01-08-2012, 18:31
I don't know, Cake. If I get up off the couch and walk or jog over to the computer do I get to log that in as pt?

All joking aside though, this might be of benefit to those who havn't a clue about pt or phys ed. Of course a log book can work the same, with a pencil or pen.

Seems to me what we need to get people motivated is less devices, less paid memberships, less contraptions, and inventions designed to do more for us. The planet earth to push against while doing pushups, and to support us while doing flutter kicks, or briefly support us during situps, some running shoes (after reading the plantar thread, these may not even be needed)...

Some water to swim in, and maybe a ruck filled with sand (in the Navy I've used my sea bag before).

Then a proper and nutritious diet (no protien powders needed), and plenty of time to put into it over several years / a lifetime of fitness.

Access to a pull up bar or sturdy tree branch, and other calesthenics as needed.

Just my opinion though.;)

EDIT: for clarification, I didn't mean swimming with a ruck filled with sand, especially in deep water.

33army
01-09-2012, 11:49
Then a proper and nutritious diet (no protien powders needed), and plenty of time to put into it over several years / a lifetime of fitness.

EDIT: for clarification, I didn't mean swimming with a ruck filled with sand, especially in deep water.

Whoa Sarski.....easy on the nutrition thing. Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Doritos, and Slim Jims are the best diet ever.

And as far as the deep sea diving with a sand filled ruck....I did that for a warm up.

Sarski
01-09-2012, 13:00
Whoa Sarski.....easy on the nutrition thing. Red Bull, Mountain Dew, Doritos, and Slim Jims are the best diet ever.

And as far as the deep sea diving with a sand filled ruck....I did that for a warm up.

Right on. Sounds like a great warm up, however scuba with air and 40-75 lbs is a little different than swimming w/o self contained. Besides you prpbably tied your ruck off with a UDT vest and pulled the cord, right?:D

33army
01-09-2012, 13:17
Nope. I used this bad boy...

http://www.specialforces.com/field-survival-gear/field-packs-gear/trap-tactical-re-flotation-assault-pack
:lifter

Sarski
01-09-2012, 13:27
Nope. I used this bad boy...

http://www.specialforces.com/field-survival-gear/field-p acks-gear/trap-tactical-re-flotation-assault-pack
:lifter

Nice. You can pack tons of doritos and slim jims in that pack.

33army
01-09-2012, 17:50
Mountain Dew makes you more buoyant.

Sarski
01-09-2012, 22:57
Mountain Dew makes you more buoyant.

Amazing how much better your fins work when you're not dragging on the bottom, huh?

dualforces
01-10-2012, 00:12
The buzzword is "gamification". An unnamed major player in athletic footwear will be launching a similar tool. Add GPS & accelerometer metrics. Geolocation and aggregated data will create live gaming. Might be cool? Get people moving..

Sarski
01-10-2012, 05:54
The buzzword is "gamification". An unnamed major player in athletic footwear will be launching a similar tool. Add GPS & accelerometer metrics. Geolocation and aggregated data will create live gaming. Might be cool? Get people moving..

Think about the last time you went out, all pumped up to start some new activity, bought your gear, whether cleats, golf clubs, a new treadmill, or bowflex machine. Gym membership.

Then take a look at where that stuff is now. With a few exceptions, my bet is that stuff is collecting dust. It was a good idea at one point, and some nifty marketing and buzzwords, nothing more than a fad.

Now we have fitocracy.com from post number one...a joke of a website if you ask me. And some unnamed shoe company.

GPS is for people who are lost, or don't know where they are going, or have incredibly large distances to traverse.

I had the snot pt'd out of me on a 6x3 foot piece of earth, and did not have to get in my car to go do it.

One of the best buzzwords out there is the buzzword "DROP" followed by another, "BEGIN."

And that came from one of the most technologically advanced machines on the planet...another human being.

The key to getting folks off their ass comes in early childhood education with physical activities so it becomes a way of life, every day. Schools do not emphasize p.e. the way they used to.

Sports leagues and teams is another great way to stay active.

Exercise in and of itself is free.

Devices and marketing gimmicks are designed to do one thing...provide corporate revenue, and there is nothing wrong with that, but don't expect to see a jump in the motivation levels of folks who are not already motivated, at least not a dramatic one.

Razor
01-12-2012, 13:34
If you need external recognition and validation of your fitness efforts to motivate you:

www.presidentschallenge.org

No orcs or spells of invisibility, sorry.

33army
01-12-2012, 18:52
My motivation for staying in shape.....my soldiers. I want my soldiers to strive to out do me. I have a reputation to keep. They know when I step in front of the formation that they will soon be submitted to a violent fury of pain that they will thank me for later. It feels good to hear a soldier tell me that PT was awesome. I also find pride in knowing that I helped soldiers achieve their goals.

Sarski
01-12-2012, 22:32
You know you're going to just quit in three weeks, anyway so why don't you stop slowing me down now? I'll buy you donuts. ;)

Should that be pink if I'm only half joking? :D

Depends on the donuts. I can't pass up jelly filled. Yum. Of course I have till next year to work off all the Christmas cookies I ate. It seems to be a never ending self perpetuating cycle.:o

badshot
01-13-2012, 01:12
Yep, I'm a nerdy type interested in fitness...

Hmm, smells like spam and not the stuff in a can.

Isn't WoW a 64bit Windows Version?

Sounds like said persons are taking a step in the right direction, but if their attitude about life (and how short it can be) doesn't change, no nifty marketing
will fix a fundamental flaw. The flaw isn't about fitness either, its about self worth and instant gratification with little social interaction = shack of .... :D (or potato's for you pc types). Not useful to themselves nor anyone else.