PDA

View Full Version : Sleep, food deprivation..?

Blackrambo
12-31-2011, 21:34
First off I would like to say, while this is only my second post, I have been lurking on here for months. I wouldnt start a new thread if I didnt suppose it would clear some things up for me (aswell as alot of other sf hopefuls out there :rolleyes:)

Now, I have officially started my daily workout plan that will get me into SF shape by the time I shipout, but I want to spice it up a bit. I constantly think about how I can be best prepared for this career path. So, my ambition combined with my boredom of everyday running and p90X has led me to asses myself further. In the woods. I will camp out in the woods, Shenandoah, with 2 friends from Saturday (tomorrow Jan 1)morning to Monday afternoon (I dont have to work until wed.). My plan is to hike most of the day and do pt, all under sleep and food deprivation, as this is how I understand Special Forces candidates mentally fuck themselves into VWing. We will bring sleeping bags and a tent (only to be used if it rains).

One of my army friends who I have concealed my plan to said it was "overkill". While it very well may be, I have made my decision based on my knowledge and drive. My question to you quiet professionals is, while it probably isnt necessary, are there any warning signs of mental health issues that You all look for at selection or during the Q?

Like I have previously stated, I have looked on this site and ...

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1540&highlight=sleep+deprivation

http://www.professionalsoldiers.com/forums/showthread.php?t=34687&highlight=sleep+deprivation

the second post stood out the most. the OP was hospitalized. Now, I am not bipolar, but that alerted me to the seriousness of sleep deprivation. I will be in the woods with little food and dont want anyone to end up hurt!

PT update: 60 pushups , 73 su , 2 mile 15:20

Peregrino
12-31-2011, 21:49
You've been watching too many Rambo movies. Seriously. You will eventually discover that there is a major difference between self-induced stress (what you are proposing) and "the real thing". Go camping with your friends and have a good time. Do a quality risk assessment, don't do anything stupid, and have a good time. After you've enlisted, if you survive your first 25M target, you'll have plenty of opportunities to "test your mettle" with real stress. (Besides - 48 hours without McDs and minimal sleep isn't going to hurt anybody.) And read Catch 22. You can't self-diagnose mental problems. And finish filling out your profile.

BRAVO-SMASH
12-31-2011, 22:04
After you've enlisted, if you survive your first 25M target, you'll have plenty of opportunities to "test your mettle" with real stress. (Besides - 48 hours without McDs and minimal sleep isn't going to hurt anybody.) And finish filling out your profile.

1) Hes right... PLENTY.
2) That's just stupid.

Go have fun. While you still have time for it.

Blackrambo
12-31-2011, 22:09
profile updated.
dropped and did 50.
http://www.amazon.com/Catch-22-Joseph-Heller/dp/0684833395
is that the book? I'll look into it.
Thanks for the advice, i'll focus more on enjoying myself and getting used to the outdoors.

Sarski
01-01-2012, 03:53
In training you have Instructors there to constantly assess your progress or lack thereof due to stressors that are introduced to you in a time and time again tested fashion. Even then some, indeed many do not progress. Then there are resources such as immediate first aid, swft kicks in the ass, etc available in a moments notice. This training is serious and indeed expensive shit. It is done this way for a reason, namely to keep the loss of life at a minimum, and ensure safety all around...and to keep individuals like yourself from possibly becomming the next SAR statistic.

Sleep deprivation can kill you at its extremes. Before that, the mistakes you make due to sleep deprivation can kill you. Play it safe, have a good time camping, make it through the x meter targets in your training, as presented to your class. Then come back and fill me in on sleep and food deprivation.

Do I hear another DROP out there? Hmmm...I think so.

-Sarski

The Reaper
01-01-2012, 09:59
That is one of the most ridiculous plans I have ever heard.

You can't actually stress yourself, because you always know how much more you have to do or how much further you have to go before you are done. And you can stop at any time you wish.

If you go to the woods to play Army, as you described, you know how much food you are taking and when the drill is going to be over.

This scenario sets you up to be one of those knuckleheads who has to be rescued because you made bad decisions while tired, got injured or lost, and now others have to risk their lives to get you out. Drop the Bear Grylls bullshit.

If you ever make it to SFAS, you will almost certainly be interviewed by a psych, and based on your comments, he will probably have an interesting time with you.

Finally, Rambo has a bad connotation in this community. The fact that you have selected it for your user name says something about you and your character.

I would suggest that you get a grip, do some reading and searching, and do more PT. Camping should be about enjoying time in the woods, not running some sort of half-baked mini-Ranger school in a public park.

Best of luck.

TR

Dozer523
01-01-2012, 11:41
He's Back! Happy New Year, TR. And many more (New Years)
and many more of these posts too:DThat is one of the most ridiculous plans I have ever heard.

You can't . . .
If you . . .
This scenario sets you up to be one of those knuckleheads . . .
Drop the Bear Grylls bullshit.
If you . . .
Finally, Rambo . . .

I would suggest that you get a grip, do some reading and searching, and do more PT. Camping should be about enjoying time in the woods, not running some sort of half-baked mini-Ranger school in a public park.

Best of luck.

TR

LongWire
01-01-2012, 17:14
That is one of the most ridiculous plans I have ever heard.

You can't actually stress yourself, because you always know how much more you have to do or how much further you have to go before you are done. And you can stop at any time you wish.

If you go to the woods to play Army, as you described, you know how much food you are taking and when the drill is going to be over.

This scenario sets you up to be one of those knuckleheads who has to be rescued because you made bad decisions while tired, got injured or lost, and now others have to risk their lives to get you out. Drop the Bear Grylls bullshit.

If you ever make it to SFAS, you will almost certainly be interviewed by a psych, and based on your comments, he will probably have an interesting time with you.

Finally, Rambo has a bad connotation in this community. The fact that you have selected it for your user name says something about you and your character.

Best of luck.

TR

+2.........

You are better off having someone hog tie you, throw you in the trunk of a vehicle and then drop you in the middle of some forest you've never been to. Other than that you are just jacking off in the woods while potentially putting others at risk. 3 days spent in moms basement, playing Call of Duty, without food sleep or redbull with her screaming at you the whole time would be more stressful than what you have proposed.

How the hell can you work for Polo Ralph Lauren, when you can't even spell it correctly?

Do yourself a favor and step away from the pipe, eat a good meal, drink water, and get some sleep.....sounds like you need it.

greenberetTFS
01-02-2012, 06:41
Young tiger,heed the words of some very experienced QP's here and just relax and enjoy your outing,the heavy duty stuff will follow soon enough,so have some fun while you can............;) :D

Big Teddy :munchin

stfesta
01-02-2012, 07:53
There are so many other factors that go into food/sleep deprivation while in selection that you don't consider and cannot replicate. The support system is able to put you in and remove you from a situation that may become dangerous to you or to others. You do not have that same luxury while camping with a few friends.

The Army/SF portion of your life will take care of itself. Truth is you will either make it or you won't.

My humble advice is to go camping and enjoy yourself.

Blackrambo
01-02-2012, 09:24
Made it back in one piece. Reading your replies I understand what you guys men by self induced stress. After a few hours in the woods our efforts to run a "mini ranger course" became futile. We ended up hiking and doing pt. Alot of pt, mostly do to boredum. But we ended up enjoying the time we spent out there. We hiked most of the night to fight off the sleep. But overall it was a fun experience. I got back a little earlier than expected, because, well hell it was just time to get out of the woods! :D Now its back to getting myself in shape for selection. I understand now that some people arent able to handle "the extreme suck", so until I get there I wont worry about that.

s2kguy
01-14-2012, 15:21
Comments retracted.

The Reaper
01-14-2012, 16:57
You should just get into the best shape of your life and have your affairs in order. With that being said I have to admit, I haven't attended SFAS yet, but to prepare I have joined a crossfit gym, I go 5x a week, I do about a 10mi ruck every week at about a 12min pace, and I try to fit in a 5-10mi run. I'm preparing for Ranger right now, I'm not sure when that is going to happen, but until I get to do that or SFAS I will continue with my training. I got a little taste of sleep deprivation at IBOLC in a military atmosphere Andy I didn't have too much difficulty getting about an hour of sleep for two weeks, I slept less during college due to my 21 credit semesters with insane required readings and paper requirements (I didn't go to a party school). Hallucinating due to lack of sleep was nothing new to me.

I recommend that you stop answering questions that you have no actual knowledge of.

In the event you ever complete SFAS, then you can comment on the sleep and food deprivation there.

We really aren't looking for "how hard my college life was" anecdotes here.

TR