PDA

View Full Version : 1878 French Bayonet's

LongWire
12-27-2011, 19:46
Okay, my mother never ceases of amaze me. Last year she gave me some personal affects from my Grandfather who was KIA in Normandy. I have his old shaving kit some old Army Manuals and some old FA plotting rulers that he had made (he was an FA Maj). This year she pulls out 2 Bayonet's, that she assumes, he was given from some of the French populace that were glad we showed up. These items came back in his foot locker and have basically been in there the last 60+ years.

2 Bayonet's with plenty of markings on scabbard's and on various parts of the blades. Both are marked similarly and then again not. On the back of the blade on each towards the hilt are inscriptions (in cursive) to, what I assume were, the original owners names both dated 1878.

I will be getting them appraised here in San Diego before I try and figure out how to handle getting them back to the JBLM area. I have some pics that I will include with more detailed ones in a few days.

Any of you Knife experts are free to help me figure out what these may be worth and possible history of them.

Sorry the pics just don't do them any justice.

Thanks.........

LongWire
12-27-2011, 22:51
Here is what I pulled up after a simple search.......still looking over at some other sites.

http://arms2armor.com/Bayonets/fren1874.htm

Pete
12-28-2011, 04:55
Cool gift.

I love bayonets.

From your second post's link it appears the script was the maker. What was the arsenal and year?

Barbarian
12-28-2011, 07:19
I have a knifemaker contact in France who's a fanatic about historic bayonets. I'll ask and see if he knows any additional info.

Great present, by the way. Pieces of history.

LongWire
12-28-2011, 11:04
Cool gift.

I love bayonets.

From your second post's link it appears the script was the maker. What was the arsenal and year?

One is L' Deny Paris 1878, the other is "Mre d' Armes de Tulle, June 1878.

I have a knifemaker contact in France who's a fanatic about historic bayonets. I'll ask and see if he knows any additional info.

Great present, by the way. Pieces of history.

Thanks guys...........