PDA

View Full Version : US Chamber of Commerce hacked by Chinese, by way of a thermostat

BOfH
12-23-2011, 00:54
We have been talking about industrial control(s) security(especially SCADA) for some time now, well, when your thermostat starts talking Chinese to a computer in China, it's bad. Especially if that thermostat is connected to an internal network.

At one point, the penetration into the Chamber of Commerce was so complete that a Chamber thermostat was communicating with a computer in China. Another time, chamber employees were surprised to see one of their printers printing in Chinese.

http://abcnews.go.com/International/chinese-hack-us-chamber-commerce-authorities/story?id=15207642

ETA: Damn Chinese burnt my toast again :D

MtnGoat
12-23-2011, 04:20
I always have send.. look at how much stuff is being made in China nowadays. You think their aren't putting in a "back door"!!

BOfH
12-27-2011, 12:48
I am sure they are. Then again, we let them right through the front door, so they rarely need to utilize the back door. :(

When securing a physical structure, you generally ensure that you have an equal amount of devices(locks etc.) or guards to entry/exit points in order to restrict and/or prevent access. The same rule applies to network security.