PDA

View Full Version : Trains

alelks
12-18-2011, 14:39
Well this is something I never knew.

How trains stay on the track. (http://www.mentalfloss.com/blogs/archives/28241)

mojaveman
12-18-2011, 19:17
Ya learn somethin' new everyday.

Was thinking about getting myself a train set for Christmas too. :D

tonyz
12-18-2011, 20:26
Learned something also. Thanks for that link. The site also has this "amazing fact generator" function that might prove interesting.

Here are a couple examples:

"There is one strand of corn silk for each kernel on an ear of corn."

"Black-eyed peas aren’t peas, but beans. And coffee beans aren’t beans, but seeds."

It looks like the facts are submitted by readers so I'm not sure of the accuracy but it is potentially a good read.

glebo
12-19-2011, 05:16
wow...who'da thunk that??

Thanks Al, I can go about my day now, knowing I'm a bit smarter...:lifter

Streck-Fu
12-19-2011, 06:38
Feynman was a brilliant man and a great teacher. A real loss.

If you have an interest in physics, look up some the videos or audios of his lectures.

Utah Bob
12-19-2011, 06:49
I knew that.:D

abc_123
12-19-2011, 07:46
Pretty sharp looking vest there, Bob.

ZonieDiver
12-19-2011, 10:19
Damn, Utah Bob! I had that same train set-up... including that locomotive that weighed a TON. My mom gave it all away, along with my baseball card collection and "tin soldiers", while I was on Active Duty with SF.

I was pissed, and it took me years - even after she was gone - to figure out why she did it.

Streck-Fu
12-19-2011, 10:44
I'll have to get some pictures but I (my sons actually) inherited a 1957 Lionel set that my uncle gave to us.

It had been sitting in a closet for years so I had to clean it up a bit to get it working again. I have since added track and more cars....We set it up under the tree every year for Christmas.

From last year....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-vwxGE2Ifrc&feature

Dozer523
12-19-2011, 10:59
I was pissed, and it took me years - even after she was gone - to figure out why she did it. She didn't want you to have a reason to visit.

Team Sergeant
12-19-2011, 11:00
She didn't want you to have a reason to visit.

LOL, I have tears in my eyes....

Al great link, I never knew......

Badger52
12-19-2011, 12:14
Feynman was a brilliant man and a great teacher. A real loss.

If you have an interest in physics, look up some the videos or audios of his lectures.Yep, highly recommended.

He was even able to explain to Congress while sitting at a hearing table with just a rubber grommet (iirc) & a glass of water what happened to the Challenger shuttle...
:eek:

Streck-Fu
12-19-2011, 12:35
Feynman used to say that if you can't explain a concept so that a Freshman could understand it, then you don't really understand.

I guess than can be expanded to be, "If you can explain a concept so that Congress can understand it, you are truly talented....." :D

Utah Bob
12-19-2011, 18:20
Damn, Utah Bob! I had that same train set-up... including that locomotive that weighed a TON. My mom gave it all away, along with my baseball card collection and "tin soldiers", while I was on Active Duty with SF.

I was pissed, and it took me years - even after she was gone - to figure out why she did it.

I still have it. Even got it running last month. I was going to Ebay it but...........
well, you know.;)

Utah Bob
12-19-2011, 18:21
Pretty sharp looking vest there, Bob.

Genuine Cisco Kid apparel.:D

Red Flag 1
12-19-2011, 18:50
I still have it. Even got it running last month. I was going to Ebay it but...........
well, you know.;)

........now that you have it running and all. I've still got mine, has passenger cars. The transformer is the weak link; had to change it out a few years ago. We used to ride the Erie/Lackawanna RR , on the Pheobe Snow run to NYC several times a year; so it was a passenger liner.

RF 1

Streck-Fu
12-19-2011, 21:25
well, you know.;)

Don't sell it. Do you have any family to give it to; your kids or a niece/nephew/grandson that won't sell it?

Here's ours set up for Christmas.....I have a full set-up in the basement but only a few items make it up to the tree.

mojaveman
12-19-2011, 22:33
All this talk about toy trains.

Does anyone remember some of the old episodes of the "Adams Family" in which Gomez Adams played with his train set? In one episode he ran two trains together head on to create a horrific accident. In another he had a detonation box and blew up his train up as it was going over a bridge.

Warped but kind of funny. :D :p

Sdiver
12-19-2011, 23:06
All this talk about toy trains.

Does anyone remember some of the old episodes of the "Adams Family" in which Gomez Adams played with his train set? In one episode he ran two trains together head on to create a horrific accident. In another he had a detonation box and blew up his train up as it was going over a bridge.

Warped but kind of funny. :D :p

One of the all time classics ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HMxJtMoTnx8

and from the movie ....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WDZSk8yPJfE