PDA

View Full Version : US Installations For Sale In The FRG

Richard
12-15-2011, 17:54
Anybody interested in investing in used American military installations in the Rhein-Neckar (Heidelberg, Mannheim) region of the FRG?

Apartment buildings? Warehousing and office buildings?

Campbell Barracks? Patton Barracks? Patrick Henry Village? Coleman Barracks? Many more.

http://www.bundesimmobilien.de/6134449/konversion_rhein_neckar.pdf

And so it goes...

Richard :munchin

mojaveman
12-15-2011, 22:45
Kind of sad for anyone who can remember being part of USAREUR.

Now, if I had some millions to throw around? How about the old AFRC Columbia Hotel in Munich? Stayed there one weekend back in '81 for hardly nothing. The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen was pretty nice too.

Santo Tomas
12-16-2011, 07:16
I just came back from over there. the pictures look alot better than it is.

Dozer523
12-16-2011, 07:40
The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be nice too. Stayed at the Patton as a 12 YO in winter '68. Dressed up for dinner, had scallops for the first time in the grand dining room. Waltzed (Mom taught us in the living room at Dambach quarters, prior) with my 9YO sister to a live "combo". (It was as much fun as Mom said). It was a segregated army then*. Got hooked on skiing then too. '79 - 82 stayed occassionally at the Patton (mostly ended up at the Von Stuben) on our trips to the Zugspitz. Returned with MRFL in summer '90.

*Officers stayed at the Patton

FILO
12-16-2011, 14:40
Kind of sad for anyone who can remember being part of USAEUR.

Now, if I had some millions to throw around? How about the old AFRC Columbia Hotel in Munich? Stayed there one weekend back in '81 for hardly nothing. The General Patton in Garmisch-Partenkirchen would be nice too.

Agreed the Patton was great as where all of the other DOD hotels in G-P. We used to head down there on a regular basis for our mountain warfare/ski training. Lots of very fond memories of pointing my skies down the Zugspitze and then shortly thereafter going for a tumble.... IIRC there was a DOD language school that was located in G-P, I believe it was in a two story barracks type building right outside of the Patton.

Red Flag 1
12-16-2011, 20:47
Returned for a visit to Bavaria just before the turn of the century. Stayed @ The Four Seasons in Berchtesgarden, and was able to use facilities at Lake Chiemsee. Much had been returned to the Germans even then; even my old stomping grounds of Flugplatz Hahn had changed hands.

We visit the UK, and the Continent regularly; Bavaria always calls to us.

RF 1

Pericles
12-19-2011, 21:49
I was in the Nürnberg Fürth Erlangen, Amberg areas for my assignments, and all of that went back 10+ years ago.

While working in Switzerland, I took time off to go back to what were then homes, and it had all really changed.

Richard
12-20-2011, 06:44
IIRC there was a DOD language school that was located in G-P, I believe it was in a two story barracks type building right outside of the Patton.

There was a language school at Sheridan in Garmisch and the Russian Institute at Hawkins in Oberammergau when I was there.

We used to go to Garmisch to take our son for a hamburger because there was one McDondald's in Garmisch and one in Munich at the time, and we enjoyed the drive more through Lenggries, past the Sylvensteinsee and through Vorderriss, Wallagau, and Krun to Garmisch - very little tourist traffic that way but you did have to navigate the local tractors and occasional herd of dairy cattle being moved between Alpine pastures. ;)

Richard

Red Flag 1
12-20-2011, 10:07
There was a language school at Sheridan in Garmisch and the Russian Institute at Hawkins in Oberammergau when I was there.

We used to go to Garmisch to take our son for a hamburger because there was one McDondald's in Garmisch and one in Munich at the time, and we enjoyed the drive more through Lenggries, past the Sylvensteinsee and through Vorderriss, Wallagau, and Krun to Garmisch - very little tourist traffic that way but you did have to navigate the local tractors and occasional herd of dairy cattle being moved between Alpine pastures. ;)

Richard

Had a big mac in Koln when the King Tut exhibit blew through town.

RF 1

MVP
12-20-2011, 10:57
There was a Wendy's in GAP near the theatre in 1984-1992 or in that neighborhood. In 2004 they opened the Edelweiss Rec Center and closed all of the other American Hotels in GAP. The building was fancy but the food poor and everything expensive. I was that Antiterrorism Officer for Stuttgart with responsibility for GAP as well so I was often there doing assistance visits. My first stay in the Edelweiss was also my last, preferred to stay at the Post Hotel on LudwigsStrasse in Partenkirchen now known as the Altas Grand or at the Obermuhle just off of ZugspitzStr near the old Patton Hotel.Last time I was there was Nov 2007.

MVP

The Reaper
12-20-2011, 18:57
An SF Colonel I know just got picked to go take Grafenwoehr.

I told him it was too bad he didn't get Garmisch instead. He told me that Garmisch, and another base that escapes me, were subordinate facilities of his.

Tough luck. :D

TR

Stras
04-01-2012, 13:11
There was a Wendy's in GAP near the theatre in 1984-1992 or in that neighborhood. In 2004 they opened the Edelweiss Rec Center and closed all of the other American Hotels in GAP. The building was fancy but the food poor and everything expensive. I was that Antiterrorism Officer for Stuttgart with responsibility for GAP as well so I was often there doing assistance visits. My first stay in the Edelweiss was also my last, preferred to stay at the Post Hotel on LudwigsStrasse in Partenkirchen now known as the Altas Grand or at the Obermuhle just off of ZugspitzStr near the old Patton Hotel.Last time I was there was Nov 2007.

MVP

Obermuhle is my favorite place to stay there.. They take pets. very close to the downtown area with great bars and restaraunts.

Frigging Edelweiss charges for everything... surprised there isn't a pay turnstile when you walk in the door.