PDA

View Full Version : Got dirt?

Utah Bob
12-07-2011, 08:39
A little help? (http://sassvets.homestead.com/VFWProject.html)

Shake out your old boots and pockets.:cool:

If somebody can help with a poc for anyone in Korea or SE Asia that would be great also.

Update 12/30 progress pics. Base completed. Medals will be glassed in. Dirt will be added last.:lifter

Buffalobob
12-07-2011, 09:59
I have a pair of "actually worn in combat jungle boots" if you want them for the display. They are pretty new and only worn for maybe two mission or so.
I have a better pair that was issued in RVN but never went outside the wire. :D

Both are too small for me now. Size 11s.

greenberetTFS
12-07-2011, 12:07
UB,I tried to click on the picture you posted to enlarge it and it didn't work for me,maybe it's just me I don't know........:)

Big Teddy :munchin

smg2080
12-07-2011, 12:12
I do have sand from Omaha Beach if you havent got Europe covered yet, just let me know.

s
12-08-2011, 08:37
American service members fought and unfortunately fell in sicily and I work for USN here. Do you need some dirt from here or you've got it already? Let me know.

Utah Bob
12-08-2011, 14:42
UB,I tried to click on the picture you posted to enlarge it and it didn't work for me,maybe it's just me I don't know........:)

Fixed it.

Utah Bob
12-08-2011, 14:46
American service members fought and unfortunately fell in sicily and I work for USN here. Do you need some dirt from here or you've got it already? Let me know.
I do have sand from Omaha Beach if you havent got Europe covered yet, just let me know.

Any contributions from the European/North African Theater will be great. My address is on the webpage. I only need small amounts as it will all be mixed together.
I see to it that a thank you letter from our post commander is sent to anyone who contributes to the project.

Utah Bob
12-08-2011, 14:50
I have a pair of "actually worn in combat jungle boots" if you want them for the display. They are pretty new and only worn for maybe two mission or so.
I have a better pair that was issued in RVN but never went outside the wire. :D

Both are too small for me now. Size 11s.

Got boots and the helmet. We're working on getting a replica rifle now.

PS
Those boots , like any Nam militaria, can fetch you a tasty bit of cash on Ebay.
Just sayin' ;)

smg2080
12-09-2011, 07:43
Any contributions from the European/North African Theater will be great. My address is on the webpage. I only need small amounts as it will all be mixed together.
I see to it that a thank you letter from our post commander is sent to anyone who contributes to the project.

It will be in the mail in the morning

s
12-09-2011, 09:06

Roger that Sir. I wont be on base before nest Tuesday but I'll make sure I have the package ready by then. There are a couple of WWII German pillboxes in an (now) orange grove located less than 2 miles from NAS 1 base, along SS192. I'll pick the dirt from there. Unfortunately the deadline for deliveries before Christmas has expired, but you'll sure have a package from Sicily ASAP.

Utah Bob
12-10-2011, 06:18
Roger that Sir. I wont be on base before nest Tuesday but I'll make sure I have the package ready by then. There are a couple of WWII German pillboxes in an (now) orange grove located less than 2 miles from NAS 1 base, along SS192. I'll pick the dirt from there. Unfortunately the deadline for deliveries before Christmas has expired, but you'll sure have a package from Sicily ASAP.

No rush. I'm looking at this as a good winter project that will pass the time on frigid days. I really appreciate the effort.

s
12-10-2011, 09:19
Ok. I'll also try and fix the GPS coordinates so, if it pleases you, you can google them onto a map and use the photo feature to have a glance at where I grabbed it from .

The Reaper
12-10-2011, 09:56
Do not be surprised if Customs busts this package.

Last time I travelled, unsterilized dirt was on the prohibited list of agricultural products.

TR

s
12-10-2011, 12:05
Ouch, that barment doe not come in handy...

Utah Bob
12-10-2011, 15:39
Do not be surprised if Customs busts this package.

Last time I travelled, unsterilized dirt was on the prohibited list of agricultural products.

TR

Well that sucks.

The Reaper
12-10-2011, 18:26
Well that sucks.

It might get through if he is creative in labeling/packaging.

Hell, when I left Afghanistan, you could not even bring back rocks or pebbles.

TR

s
12-11-2011, 06:49
I guess I'll have to come up with some good old "bovine fecal matter" when labeling/packaging... :D :D
8 years of liaison and of keeping young US sailors out of trouble have equipped me with the relevant set of skills. :D

Utah Bob
12-11-2011, 09:53
I guess I'll have to come up with some good old "bovine fecal matter" when labeling/packaging... :D :D
8 years of liaison and of keeping young US sailors out of trouble have equipped me with the relevant set of skills. :D

Don't stick your neck out. I'll come up with something else. I appreciate the support.

Ambush Master
12-11-2011, 10:28
How about "Mineral Samples" for further Scientific Analysis?!?!

Utah Bob
12-11-2011, 12:06
How about "Mineral Samples" for further Scientific Analysis?!?!

Probably not worth the risk of getting on some DOA bureaucrat's shit list.
I can probably buy mineral samples from the areas commercially. I'll look into that.

Not as cool as soldier supplied stuff but....

s
12-11-2011, 12:20
Hold on. I could try and send it via Italian postal service and label the package as gift/part of combat veterans' memorial altar

Utah Bob
12-12-2011, 07:35
I dunno. It would still have to get through US Customs. I'm going to try to contact DOA and get an opinion.
If all else fails I suppose I can buy some mineral samples that have been cleared and imported.

Unfortunately we never had any troops deploy to South Africa. My wife would like some diamonds.:rolleyes:

Buffalobob
12-12-2011, 08:34
Hold on. I could try and send it via Italian postal service and label the package as gift/part of combat veterans' memorial altar

Get a plastic jar and a bag of marbles. Fill jar with marbles and pour in dirt, Tie a ribbon around it and put a Merry Christmas sticker on it. Ship it as "Christmas gift-Marbles".

s
12-12-2011, 12:50
Get a plastic jar and a bag of marbles. Fill jar with marbles and pour in dirt, Tie a ribbon around it and put a Merry Christmas sticker on it. Ship it as "Christmas gift-Marbles".

I like it.
That was definitely some outside the jar thinking :D:D

s
12-12-2011, 12:56
I dunno. It would still have to get through US Customs. I'm going to try to contact DOA and get an opinion.
If all else fails I suppose I can buy some mineral samples that have been cleared and imported.

Unfortunately we never had any troops deploy to South Africa. My wife would like some diamonds.:rolleyes:

I don't want to put you in any kind of predicament nor do I want to force it. I'd be honoured to do my part for the memorial. I'll be standing by for a green light from you before I take any actions.

s
12-12-2011, 13:01

P.S. http://www.betteridge.com/harry-winston-diamond-cluster-earrings/p/5257/

No need to have troops deployed to south africa.
I found a place in Vail, Colorado where you can find all the rocks your wife desires. :D:D

grog18b
12-12-2011, 16:10
If you want me to try for you Brother, I have a POC in the ROK. I'm sure he could pack something from the DMZ for me. GROG

Utah Bob
12-12-2011, 16:23
P.S. http://www.betteridge.com/harry-winston-diamond-cluster-earrings/p/5257/

No need to have troops deployed to south africa.
I found a place in Vail, Colorado where you can find all the rocks your wife desires. :D:D

Vail is one of the places I avoid.:D

Utah Bob
12-12-2011, 16:28
I don't want to put you in any kind of predicament nor do I want to force it. I'd be honoured to do my part for the memorial. I'll be standing by for a green light from you before I take any actions.

I'm afraid you would be in the predicament as the shipper.
I'll think of an alternate plan. But thanks for the support.

s
12-12-2011, 18:26
I'll try and see if any friends will PCS back to the states any sooner. Pack outs aren't cleared through customs. I'll try and come up with something.

s
12-12-2011, 18:28
Vail is one of the places I avoid.:D

No need to worry Sir, I'll provide you with other locations you haven't blacklisted yet. Stay tuned. :D:D

Saturation
12-12-2011, 19:29
If the issue is 'non-sterilized' dirt, why not sterilize? 2 minutes in the microwave seems to the consensus with google-fu. Is there some certification necessary or would self- attestation be enough?
Just a thought.

s
12-12-2011, 19:34
I highly doubt that it all comes down to nuking it for a quick minute in a microwave.

Utah Bob
12-13-2011, 05:03
I highly doubt that it all comes down to nuking it for a quick minute in a microwave.

Yeah. It needs to be "certified" by DOA.

And microwaving won't kill everything. I tried to kill ants on my ;last glazed donut once by putting it in the microwave.
Ruint the donut and the ants were still mobile and hostile.:eek:

Saturation
12-13-2011, 19:14
See page 4.....
link http://ehs.ucsc.edu/shipping/pubs/import_soil.pdf (http://ehs.ucsc.edu/shipping/pubs/import_soil.pdf)

The form is here http://www.aphis.usda.gov/plant_health/permits/downloads/forms/ppqform525a.pdf

alright4u
12-13-2011, 21:28
why not Let the VA and certain service organizations know what you are trying to do? Sometimes these folks will surprise you.

s
12-14-2011, 12:33
why not Let the VA and certain service organizations know what you are trying to do? Sometimes these folks will surprise you.

Sir, was it for me or for Utah bob?

Utah Bob
12-16-2011, 13:11
I see that rocks and sand not containing any organic material are exempt. This helps.

alright4u
12-16-2011, 21:17
Sir, was it for me or for Utah bob?

Bob. understand you are doing this for the local VFW. Why not contact VA and Vet service organizations in your AO.

Utah Bob
12-17-2011, 09:35
Bob. understand you are doing this for the local VFW. Why not contact VA and Vet service organizations in your AO.

The VA service officer is the one who suggested the project to me. So far no response yet from the big VA.
But I have all winter and am a patient man.;)

CW3SF
12-17-2011, 10:05
Yeah. It needs to be "certified" by DOA.

And microwaving won't kill everything. I tried to kill ants on my ;last glazed donut once by putting it in the microwave.
Ruint the donut and the ants were still mobile and hostile.:eek:

'Sorry for the off topic response but I found this highly amusing. :D

Good luck with the project.

Utah Bob
12-17-2011, 11:39
'Sorry for the off topic response but I found this highly amusing. :D

Good luck with the project.

I was perplexed and amused at the time.
Of course I ate the doughnut anyway.;)

s
12-18-2011, 10:05
Sir, like I said I'm on stand by. Please let me know how you'd like to proceed.

Utah Bob
12-23-2011, 10:28
Things are going well. I have dirt or commitments from 29 states and 4 foreign locations.:lifter

Utah Bob
12-30-2011, 10:23
The packages have started to arrive. I have Hawaii, Pennsylvania, New York, New Jersey, Colorado, New Mexico, the Carolinas, and more on the way. :D
Also picked up a replica M1.

Utah Bob
01-04-2012, 10:09
Progress pics.:lifter
1 (http://sassvets.homestead.com/VFWbox6.JPG)
2 (http://sassvets.homestead.com/VFWbox7.JPG)

greenberetTFS
01-04-2012, 11:39
Looking good UB............ ;) :D

Utah Bob
01-04-2012, 19:32
Looking good UB............ ;) :D

Not a bad lookin fake M1 ay?
The sling and bayonets are original anyway.;)

ZonieDiver
01-04-2012, 22:39
Outstanding! Great looking.

Utah Bob
01-05-2012, 19:19
Here's one more from today. This will be on the left side.

Utah Bob
01-10-2012, 19:06
Received a piece of North Africa (http://sassvets.homestead.com/egypt2.jpg) today. :)

Utah Bob
01-13-2012, 13:50
Thanks to Barbarians contribution this morning, I now have samples from 13 states in hand on this Friday the 13th. I'll consider it a good omen.:D

Also have received samples from the Pacific and North Africa theaters.:lifter

s
01-25-2012, 04:30
Sir, any news? Have you received the package yet?

Utah Bob
01-25-2012, 21:03

Not yet. Probably 7-9 days from your location.

Utah Bob
01-26-2012, 10:56
Thanks to Hydrashok for supplying the soil from West By God Virginny. :lifter

Utah Bob
01-31-2012, 08:40

Got It! A very cool addition. Thanks!:lifter
Yesterday I started to put on the base layer of finest kind Colorado dirt. After that's done, the state and foreign soil will be put on.
This is not a meth lab. I swear.:p

s
02-01-2012, 09:57
Got It! A very cool addition. Thanks!:lifter
Yesterday I started to put on the base layer of finest kind Colorado dirt. After that's done, the state and foreign soil will be put on.
This is not a meth lab. I swear.:p

Great to hear it! Honoured to give a small contribution to your project. :)

Utah Bob
02-04-2012, 17:14
I spent the day applying all the donated soil I have received so far to the base.

Alaska
Arkansas
Colorado
Florida
Georgia
Hawaii
Indiana
Iowa
Kansas
Kentucky
Michigan
Missouri
Montana
New Jersey
New Mexico
New York
North Carolina
Ohio
Pennsylvania
Tennessee
Utah
Vermont
Virginia
West Virginia
Wyoming

Egypt
England
The Philippines
Sicily
Vietnam

Hopefully more will come in next week.:lifter

PSM
02-04-2012, 17:37
I'm surprised that Arizona isn't represented! :eek:

Pat

ZonieDiver
02-04-2012, 17:52
I'm surprised that Arizona isn't represented! :eek:

Pat

I figured it would be a given! If you need some, UtahBob, I'll send it to you. Heck, I'll even drive down to Picacho Peak and get some from an actual "battle"field! :D

Utah Bob
02-05-2012, 09:54
I figured it would be a given! If you need some, UtahBob, I'll send it to you. Heck, I'll even drive down to Picacho Peak and get some from an actual "battle"field! :D

A friend in Cortez just got back from a road trip and has some California and Arizona dirt for me. We just haven't got together yet.
The ones I really need are the remaining blue states. (http://sassvets.homestead.com/vfwproject.html)The other ones are either in the mail or waiting for the snow to melt or rain to drain in their AOs I guess.

And I finally have some rubble from Die Vaterland coming.:lifter

greenberetTFS
02-05-2012, 12:58
UB

I noticed you're missing Mississippi dirt,well it's on the way,let me know when you get it.....;)

Utah Bob
02-05-2012, 23:15
UB

I noticed you're missing Mississippi dirt,well it's on the way,let me know when you get it.....;)

Thanks! Mississippi is now a red state!:lifter

jbour13
02-05-2012, 23:39
I've got a friend from Rhode Island I'll contact and pass along your info.

He's a crusty old MP and likes these types of things. I'll see who else in my network of friends can get the few remaining states.

Love the idea.

Utah Bob
02-06-2012, 13:00
I've got a friend from Rhode Island I'll contact and pass along your info.

He's a crusty old MP and likes these types of things. I'll see who else in my network of friends can get the few remaining states.

Love the idea.

Thanks! I don't have many contacts in those teeny eastern states.:D

Horned Frog
02-06-2012, 13:42
Utah Bob,
Are you looking for dirt from every single state? If so, I noticed you don't have Texas yet and I'll be there towards the end of this month. I can pick some dirt up and bring it back to CO, just let me know how much you'd like and any other details. Hope I can be of service.

Utah Bob
02-06-2012, 19:27
Utah Bob,
Are you looking for dirt from every single state? If so, I noticed you don't have Texas yet and I'll be there towards the end of this month. I can pick some dirt up and bring it back to CO, just let me know how much you'd like and any other details. Hope I can be of service.

I have a commitment from Texas but it hasn't been shipped yet. I'll let you know if it falls through. Details on how much and where to send are on the webpage.
Thanks.

The Reaper
02-06-2012, 20:07
Alamo, maybe?:D

TR

Utah Bob
02-08-2012, 07:57
New pics posted.
The grand unveiling will be at the post meeting on Thursday. I'll continue to add dirt as it is received. It should be 100% finished by our district meeting in April.
A big hand salute to those individuals who have helped out. :lifter

s
02-14-2012, 08:41
Sir,

I received a pleasant surprise in the mail.
Thank you so much!! :)