PDA

View Full Version : medical question

McKagan13
09-21-2004, 21:29
Has anyone on these boards ever suffered from a split nerve? I split the long thorasic nerve palsy in my back/neck 3 summers ago. Its also known as a winging scapula. I was wondering if anyone here has suffered a similar injury, and if so how it faired while being in the military.

Thanks,

Matt

Sacamuelas
09-21-2004, 21:34
The long thoracic nerve is vulnerable to damage at various levels, due to its long and superficial course. This nerve supplies the serratus anterior muscle, which has an important role in the abduction and elevation of the superior limb; paralysis of the serratus anterior causes “winged scapula,” a condition in which the arm cannot be lifted higher than 90° from the side.

Did you completely heal after resting/recovery or are you still symptomatic?

I can't answer your specific question concerning military restrictions, but I did find this for you concerning athletes. Hopefully, Eagle or someone will be along and answer the military specifics.

After an incidence of serratus anterior paralysis, most patients return to their previous level of activity with no recurrence of scapular winging. However, some studies have reported cases of incomplete recovery, with reduced endurance or minor scapular winging. Full recovery normally takes one to 14 months.

McKagan13
09-21-2004, 22:38
thanks for the quick reply. To answer your question, no I did not fully recover. It still wings out and bothers me slightly every now and then. For example, its been hurting me for the last week after doing something while swimming.

On the other hand, though it was not too strenuous, I attended ROTC LTC 2 summers ago. I completed every excersize/event without it bothering me the slightest bit. I also continue to hit the gym and do PU's regularly.

Thanks for the info. Just concerned that if once in the military it gets really messed up then what.

thanks again

Matt