PDA

View Full Version : AR vs. AK

357SIGFAN
11-29-2011, 02:55
Not the typical thread, as the virtues of each weapon system have been championed over and over again, and we don't really need to re-hash piston/DI, etc.

http://www.military.com/NewsContent/0%2C13319%2C162878%2C00.html

A few years ago, they traded the AK-47 for the M16. I am sure it was largely a political move.

However, I have not been able to find how, as a whole, the trigger-pullers have liked/disliked their new weapon system. Does anyone have a link or information on the general consensus of how they are performing compared to their former platform?

Of further interest, if anyone knows, how do they feel about the 7.62x39 vs. the 5.56x45's effect on target?

Streck-Fu
11-29-2011, 11:23
That may change as soon as the Iraqis run out of lubricant....

357SIGFAN
11-30-2011, 07:05
That may change as soon as the Iraqis run out of lubricant....

If Iraq runs out of lubricant, M16A4's jamming will be the least of the world's problems.

35NCO
11-30-2011, 08:47
I have a lot of logistical questions about this...just a pondering thought, where are they getting their supply of 5.56 from? Its a country full of 7.62x39/7.62x54R...good old Soviet weapons stock. So now they must rely on someone else for a new type of ammo supply? Are WE sending them the ammo? Is Colt building the rifles, or FN, or are they our old shot out colts we decided to leave there? Love to know the real reason this arms deal took place.

"A system that registers each rifle with the individual who receives it using biometric data such as thumb prints and eye scans is meant to address concerns over U.S. weapons winding up in enemy hands. A July 2007 Government Accountability Office report concluded that as many as 190,000 weapons delivered to the Iraqi army were not accounted for and could've wound up in terrorist caches." ???