PDA

View Full Version : Kuwait

tylerbethea
11-28-2011, 19:46
I know that I said I would not post anymore until I won my Beret, but those plans have been postponed for at leas a year due to an upcoming deployment. I am posting here to see if any of you guys have any information about Kuwait? They don't tell us much, and I was hoping to glean some information (without violating OPSEC) from some of you 5th Group QP's if you'd take the time to share with me.

Thanks,

TB

The Reaper
11-28-2011, 19:57
I know that I said I would not post anymore until I won my Beret, but those plans have been postponed for at leas a year due to an upcoming deployment. I am posting here to see if any of you guys have any information about Kuwait? They don't tell us much, and I was hoping to glean some information (without violating OPSEC) from some of you 5th Group QP's if you'd take the time to share with me.

Thanks,

TB

It is in the Middle East, between Iraq and Saudi Arabia.

TR

SF_BHT
11-28-2011, 20:15

TR

Do not forget that there is not a Hooters and they have a lot of sand....

tylerbethea
11-28-2011, 20:35
Roger that......I googled the "camp" that I HEARD that we'll be at, and it didn't have alot of information, but it did say that there were 3 olympic size swimming pools, several huge gyms, and quite a few fast food chains. Really going to have to maintain some discipline on myself. Other than that, I know nothing. Thanks for the heads-up on the sand though:D

TB

Snaquebite
11-28-2011, 20:54
Now go back to your original pledge...I can't believe you posted this question...

scooter
11-28-2011, 23:34

Thanks,

TB

Request to stay at Ali al Salem. There is all kinds of fun stuff to do there, and many sights to see.

Mills
11-29-2011, 21:16
Request to stay at Ali al Salem. There is all kinds of fun stuff to do there, and many sights to see.

I second that. There will never be a dull moment, and there is always a wonderful aroma in the air.......especially during those gorgeous summer nights with low humidity.

Pete
11-30-2011, 04:51
I always liked to go to the Mall in the big building downtown. They had a Pizza Hut that had pretty good Pizza. Had more than a few Burgers at the Fudruckers (?) out by the beach.

Beware the tire boot.

wmaousley
12-05-2011, 02:15
I always liked to go to the Mall in the big building downtown. They had a Pizza Hut that had pretty good Pizza. Had more than a few Burgers at the Fudruckers (?) out by the beach.

Beware the tire boot.

I have lived in Kuwait going on 6 years now so if you need anything let me know, Someone mentioned for you to request to stay at Ali AL Salem, DOnt do it. Request for Arifjan, has more facilities with garrisson barracks for the soldiers stationed there, LSA, ALi AL Salem, Virginia & Bheuring soldiers live either in trailers or tents.

Let me know when you come and I will PM you my cell number.

Mr. Pete, its with a heavy heart that I must tell you our beloved Fuddruckers on gulf road closed last year and is now a Lebanese Restaurant.

scooter
12-05-2011, 19:29
I have lived in Kuwait going on 6 years now so if you need anything let me know, Someone mentioned for you to request to stay at Ali AL Salem, DOnt do it.

Do It! You'll never look back!

wmaousley
12-06-2011, 00:03
Do It! You'll never look back!

lol he is right, after a year @ Ali Al Salem you will never look back because you will remember how miserable that place made you.:)

SpikedBuck
12-06-2011, 20:59

Thanks,

TB

TB: Regardless of the generalized attitude about Kuwait, you must still remain vigilant...we are way too complacent there and I have seen it first hand very recently. It is an easy place to get into trouble very quickly. Get with your S2 for updated threat brief.

Here are a few simple tips from my foxhole:
(1) speed kills...one of the worst driving locations I have ever been with some of the fastest speeds I've seen on the roads...usually vehicle accidents are catastrophic
(2) trash everywhere...don't pick it up especially if you are off reservation
(3) buddy teams at all times...
(4) hydrate...bottled water there has plenty of sodium so be careful and watch your sodium intake
(5) If you are going anywhere other than Arifjan or AAS, make sure you pack accordingly (don't assume it will be there at the big PX, because it won't be)

Kuwait is a melting pot of cultures...similar to many Middle Eastern countries...most of the locals (if any) you may encounter will most likely not be Kuwaitis. Most of the labor force is third country worker/sub-contract worker from all over the world. Makes for language prep/culture prep slightly more challenging. Kuwait is more Westernized than Iraq or Qatar...but not as relaxed as UAE or Baharain.

If you want to read about Kuwait, there are lots of resources available...a great unclassified resource is the Center for Army Lessons Learned website.

Hope this helps.

wmaousley
12-07-2011, 00:13
TB: Regardless of the generalized attitude about Kuwait, you must still remain vigilant...we are way too complacent there and I have seen it first hand very recently. It is an easy place to get into trouble very quickly. Get with your S2 for updated threat brief.

Here are a few simple tips from my foxhole:
(1) speed kills...one of the worst driving locations I have ever been with some of the fastest speeds I've seen on the roads...usually vehicle accidents are catastrophic
(2) trash everywhere...don't pick it up especially if you are off reservation
(3) buddy teams at all times...
(4) hydrate...bottled water there has plenty of sodium so be careful and watch your sodium intake
(5) If you are going anywhere other than Arifjan or AAS, make sure you pack accordingly (don't assume it will be there at the big PX, because it won't be)

Kuwait is a melting pot of cultures...similar to many Middle Eastern countries...most of the locals (if any) you may encounter will most likely not be Kuwaitis. Most of the labor force is third country worker/sub-contract worker from all over the world. Makes for language prep/culture prep slightly more challenging. Kuwait is more Westernized than Iraq or Qatar...but not as relaxed as UAE or Baharain.

If you want to read about Kuwait, there are lots of resources available...a great unclassified resource is the Center for Army Lessons Learned website.

Hope this helps.

I have to agree 100% with this post, as SB said speed kills, literally we have 2 highways that run north/south HWY 30 King Fahad & HWY 40 Maghreb. These are known as death highways in Kuwait. Daily people are killed on these roads due to SPEED. I drive on them daily and see fresh cars completely demolished as if a SABO round impacted it.

Always remain vigiliant no matter where you are and as said never pick-up something you didnt put down, Now Kuwait is seeing political unrest with the recent storming of the parliment building citizens are increasingly becoming agitated.

tylerbethea
12-07-2011, 07:16
Thank you, Sir, for the advice. This being my first deployment, I've got dozens of questions, but I've been reading alot and believe that's what I need to keep doing. I appreciate all the help and advice from everyone.

TB

Dozer523
12-07-2011, 08:37
Mr. Pete, its with a heavy heart that I must tell you our beloved Fuddruckers on gulf road closed last year and is now a Lebanese Restaurant.What about the Hard Rock?
(I got the tee shirt!)

wmaousley
12-07-2011, 23:48
What about the Hard Rock?
(I got the tee shirt!)

LOL The Hardrock is still there and just this year Planet Hollywood opened up just a few K's away. These places are owned by Sheiks, so they will never close.

ACampCmdrLegacy
02-08-2013, 15:47

TR

What a smart ass answer. Why did you post that?

And again; nice avatar. I bet you wish you were REMOTELY acquainted with an A-Camp Commander.

But take my word Sir; a GOOD one is a miserable mother***, and a lousy family man / father.

But alas, surely you only dream...

ACCL / son of THE [VERY VERY few] 'Quiet Professionals'.

Four posts - no Intro - FTFSI - does not play well with others - if you want to stir up s**t, I can help you with your quest - you're now on Permanent Latrine Orderly...anywhere else but in here. Richard

SF_BHT
02-08-2013, 15:56

And again; nice avatar. I bet you wish you were REMOTELY acquainted with an A-Camp Commander.

But take my word Sir; a GOOD one is a miserable mother***, and a lousy family man / father.

Ok KNOCK it off and do not post again until you have followed our rules and filled in your profile and posted an intro.

MR2
02-08-2013, 17:06
Regarding ACCL, this persons deliberate hostility and lack of general decorum is grounds for immediate banning - legacy or brother. His info should be collected and disseminated to other 'like' sites for them to monitor as well.

glebo
02-08-2013, 17:20
Regarding ACCL, this persons deliberate hostility and lack of general decorum is grounds for immediate banning - legacy or brother. His info should be collected and disseminated to other 'like' sites for them to monitor as well.

And a son....who the frick does he think he is???

I'm sure he's proud, but he's not earned his time to come off as arrogant...:confused:

Dusty
02-08-2013, 17:25

lol Cue Jaws theme...

The Reaper
02-08-2013, 19:11

Four posts - no Intro - FTFSI - does not play well with others - if you want to stir up s**t, I can help you with your quest - you're now on Permanent Latrine Orderly...anywhere else but in here. Richard

Because I am an SF soldier, and this is our board, not yours, boy.

And yes, I have been privileged to lead two ODAs before.

You cannot follow simple instructions, pay attention, be respectful when in another's house, or even act like you have the common sense God gave a billy goat.

If you want to act like an asshole, you can do it elsewhere.

I am sure your Daddy is really proud of you right now.:rolleyes:

Adios.

TR