PDA

View Full Version : Cornel West: Ultimate Fight for Entitlements Will be in the Streets

Dusty
11-28-2011, 18:15
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/video/2011/11/28/cornel_west_ultimate_fight_for_entitlements_will_b e_in_the_streets.html

ZonieDiver
11-28-2011, 18:24
Someone should tell that dude that the Sixties are over! (And he lost!)

Pete
11-28-2011, 18:55
That whole interview was so............so..................Greek.

Angry Mike
11-28-2011, 20:15
Who gives two shytes what he thinks?

Dusty
11-28-2011, 21:00
Who gives two shytes what he thinks?

Educators, leftists, welfare recipients, radicals, Occupiers, marxists, statists, communists and Obama-lovers everywhere.

SF-TX
11-28-2011, 22:01
Damn! I quickly scanned the article and thought Lieutenant Colonel West had gone off the deep end. The script blocker in my browser didn't allow the video to automatically load, so I didn't have the visual of Cornel West's ugly mug to preface the article.

Dusty
11-29-2011, 07:25
Damn! I quickly scanned the article and thought Lieutenant Colonel West had gone off the deep end. The script blocker in my browser didn't allow the video to automatically load, so I didn't have the visual of Cornel West's ugly mug to preface the article.

lol That's like ordering a glass of draft beer and quaffing buttermilk.

tunanut
11-29-2011, 10:42
I don't think you'll ever hear Allen West speaking those words.

The stupidity of some people continually amaze me.

Paslode
11-29-2011, 11:31
This kind of crap really burns me up.

Gosh, there are poor people? There are hungry children? Gee, Cornell West, thank God you've come! I do so love it when people spout off rhetoric with no actual solutions or ideas. Helps us all so much!

You want a war against poverty? Ok, here you go: every girl, upon the age of menstruation, begins getting government mandated birth-control shots. They only end when she and her husband can prove that they have the financial wherewithal to actually support kids.

I also like the idea of everyone has to have at least a high school diploma, no dropping out and none of this GED crap.

Everytime you want to have another kid, you have to show up with all your financials and a letter from your employer that re-certifies your ability to support yet another child.

Then we can start some program that forces employers to hire you.

How 'bout that West? I can solve a whoooole lotta poverty issues ---all you have to do is sacrifice a few measly individual "rights."

You're really asking for it, and ACLU Lawsuit that is......that is infringing upon their rights/personal freedoms you know.

Paslode
11-29-2011, 12:24
Won't be any hungry children though, will there? ;)

Even if you could solve 'the hungry' problem as it is seen today, I am positive that someone would/will find a way to find or make hungry people again.....it is as simple as redefinition and/or revision of what defines hungry.

Dusty
11-29-2011, 12:35
Even if you could solve 'the hungry' problem as it is seen today, I am positive that someone would/will find a way to find or make hungry people again.....it is as simple as redefinition and/or revision of what defines hungry.

The problem isn't hunger, it's a lack of work ethic; the people West refers to have a skewed sense of right and wrong.

BOfH
11-29-2011, 13:14
You want a war against poverty? Ok, here you go: every girl, upon the age of menstruation, begins getting government mandated birth-control shots. They only end when she and her husband can prove that they have the financial wherewithal to actually support kids.

In my circles we have a very effective form of birth control, its called tuition. ;)

Badger52
11-29-2011, 13:55
The problem isn't hunger, it's a lack of work ethic; ....And.... ROGER! (http://www.timnerenz.com/2011/11/land-of-opportunity.html)

:cool:

Paslode
11-29-2011, 15:01
West refers to have a skewed sense of right and wrong.

eggs-actly! And why is it skewed? Cornell and his type twist, reshape and redefine reality.......or at least the reality as you, me and a whole lot of other people view it.

What's considered Po-folk?

In Ethiopia it might appear as sparse meal 3-5 times a week (a guess on my part), sleeping on a dirt and a skeletal appearance. Whereas in the US it might look like 15,000 Junk Food calories a day, $300 sneakers, a SmartPhone and 300+ LBS. of Grade A Fat......but not having a XBox360 puts you into the poverty threshold.

Dusty
11-29-2011, 15:08
eggs-actly! And why is it skewed? Cornell and his type twist, reshape and redefine reality.......or at least the reality as you, me and a whole lot of other people view it.

What's considered Po-folk?

In Ethiopia it might appear as sparse meal 3-5 times a week (a guess on my part), sleeping on a dirt and a skeletal appearance. Whereas in the US it might look like 15,000 Junk Food calories a day, $300 sneakers, a SmartPhone and 300+ LBS. of Grade A Fat......but not having a XBox360 puts you into the poverty threshold.

That's just not true, anymore.

You can own an XBox now, and still be classified as "poor".

Paslode
11-29-2011, 15:20
That's just not true, anymore.

You can own an XBox now, and still be classified as "poor".

Damn! So what it comes down to is that if you have something I don't....say Playstation 3, a Car not up on blocks, tender back straps or even that green beanie with the flash..... someone like West could start whispering in my ear 'He has it and so should you', 'It is not fair for him to have it and not you'.

Dusty
11-29-2011, 15:29
Damn! So what it comes down to is that if you have something I don't....say Playstation 3, a Car not up on blocks, tender back straps or even that green beanie with the flash..... someone like West could start whispering in my ear 'He has it and so should you', 'It is not fair for him to have it and not you'.

...especially the straps. :D

greenberetTFS
11-29-2011, 16:45
This kind of crap really burns me up.

Gosh, there are poor people? There are hungry children? Gee, Cornell West, thank God you've come! I do so love it when people spout off rhetoric with no actual solutions or ideas. Helps us all so much!

I also like the idea of everyone has to have at least a high school diploma, no dropping out and none of this GED crap.

Everytime you want to have another kid, you have to show up with all your financials and a letter from your employer that re-certifies your ability to support yet another child.

Then we can start some program that forces employers to hire you.

How 'bout that West? I can solve a whoooole lotta poverty issues ---all you have to do is sacrifice a few measly individual "rights."

NG for POTUS..........:lifter :lifter :lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

Dusty
11-29-2011, 19:11
NG for POTUS..........:lifter :lifter :lifter

Big Teddy :munchin

Oh, no. Don't tell me that Cantonese guy's running for President again this year.

GratefulCitizen
11-29-2011, 22:58

Not a new line of thinking.
Earlier iterations had some prominent supporters.

To quote Michael Crichton:

Its supporters included Theodore Roosevelt, Woodrow Wilson, and Winston Churchill. It was approved by Supreme Court justices Oliver Wendell Holmes and Louis Brandeis, who ruled in its favor. The famous names who supported it included Alexander Graham Bell, inventor of the telephone; activist Margaret Sanger; botanist Luther Burbank; Leland Stanford, founder of Stanford University; the novelist H. G. Wells; the playwright George Bernard Shaw; and hundreds of others. Nobel Prize winners gave support. Research was backed by the Carnegie and Rockefeller Foundations. The Cold Springs Harbor Institute was built to carry out this research, but important work was also done at Harvard, Yale, Princeton, Stanford and Johns Hopkins. Legislation to address the crisis was passed in states from New York to California.

Eugenics.
Planned parenthood is the current iteration.

Obviously, I disagree.

The solution is for the federal government to stop "assisting" individuals, state and local governments, and charities.
Let them stand or fall on their own.

When the federal government can print its own money, there's no limit to the amount of goods and services it can redistribute.
Constrict the spending.

Sigaba
11-30-2011, 03:17
Not to help the poor is to abandon them and demean our society; but to help the poor without offering them a chance to escape poverty is ultimately to degrade us all.

The great tasks of compassion must be accomplished both by people who care and by policies which foster economic growth to enhance all human development. Source is here (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25845#axzz1fB58gZ20).

Dozer523
11-30-2011, 04:23
In my circles we have a very effective form of birth control, its called tuition. ;)Is it retro-active? Out of State Tuition is killing me. BCMU, I love you little girl but you picked MIZZOU

Dusty
11-30-2011, 04:46
Source is here (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25845#axzz1fB58gZ20).

Nobody who gets everything they need in life handed to them on a silver platter should snivel.

Sten
11-30-2011, 08:28
Efficiency and progress is ours once more
Now that we have the Neutron bomb
It's nice and quick and clean and gets things done
Away with excess enemy
But no less value to property
No sense in war but perfect sense at home:

The sun beams down on a brand new day
No more welfare tax to pay
Unsightly slums gone up in flashing light
Jobless millions whisked away
At last we have more room to play
All systems go to kill the poor tonight

-Jello Biafra

Stingray
11-30-2011, 08:54
Is it retro-active? Out of State Tuition is killing me. BCMU, I love you little girl but you picked MIZZOU

Ewwww, Mizzou?
Soon to be the punchin bag of the SEC.

JimP
11-30-2011, 09:07
Some of ya'll may not be as long in the tooth or as attuned the the denizens in the legal community as I've been for a bunch of years. Cornell West was preaching this crap years ago when he was a professor at Harvard. In fact - he had a LOT to do with a doctrinairre approach to law that was termed Critical Legal Studies (CLS). Harvard was the vanguard for this - ultimately not very successful - theory. The theme was akin to what the poverty-pimps (Jesse and Fat-Albert) have been doing for years: that if you are black/underprivilieged (so long as you were black); or economically depressed (so long as you were black - white crackers from Appalachia need not apply), you are OWED a successful and prosperous life from "the Man".

Similar to the "social justice" crowd. When you hear "social justice", run. It is a thinly veiled synonym for redistributionist economic policies. CLS never really caught on but had quite an impact within the upper-tier law schools and many of the future leaders of the country and industry. Guess what high-profile black man graduated Harvard Law and is imposing similar views on America.....??? That's right: Obama. Kind of all fits in doesn't it...??

PedOncoDoc
11-30-2011, 09:45
Which sounds good, in theory, and is certainly a popular idea.

IMO, there is always going to be a segment of the population that, for whatever reason, are incapable of taking care of themselves. Because we have constitutional rights, these people also have the ability to have as many children as they want to, therefore bringing complete innocents into abject poverty.

Are you really prepared to take away all public assistance, and watch these children starve? Go without medical care and clothing, proper shelter?

I'm not, and that's the point of view on which I was posting earlier. Unless you strip people of their individual right to create children they can't properly take care of, we will have poverty, and unless you're prepared to stand by and let these innocent children suffer, there will be welfare.

We strip unfit parents from the right to house and raise their children. No finanical support leads to starving children which, to my understanding, is neglect and sufficient for removal of the children from the home.

No financial incentive to have more children may lead to fewer children born into poverty. Of course, it's not going to stop people from having sex, but it might encourage more people to use affordable birth control measures. We can't stop people from having kids, but we can stop rewarding them for irresponsibly doing so.

The problem is, where do you put all of those kids? Orphanages may need to make a comeback.

Dusty
11-30-2011, 09:54
. Cornell West was preaching this crap years ago when he was a professor at Harvard. In fact - he had a LOT to do with a doctrinairre approach to law that was termed Critical Legal Studies (CLS). Harvard was the vanguard for this - ultimately not very successful - theory. The theme was akin to what the poverty-pimps (Jesse and Fat-Albert) have been doing for years: that if you are black/underprivilieged (so long as you were black); or economically depressed (so long as you were black - white crackers from Appalachia need not apply), you are OWED a successful and prosperous life from "the Man".

Black...and not Conservative.

BOfH
11-30-2011, 10:00
Is it retro-active? Out of State Tuition is killing me. BCMU, I love you little girl but you picked MIZZOU

Unfortunately not, and...they developed this antidote called scholarships and financial aid. Guess who gets hit up to support that :mad:

Paslode
11-30-2011, 10:14
-Jello Biafra

A twisted individual.

tonyz
11-30-2011, 10:22
Ah, Critical Legal Studies, Critical Race Theory, Feminist Jurisprudence…mix in some Marxist theories…shake well and it's no surprise that you get...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_cqN4NIEtOY

Sigaba
11-30-2011, 14:41
Nobody who gets everything they need in life handed to them on a silver platter should snivel.

Poverty is defined not by income statistics alone, but by an individual's true situation and prospects.Source is here (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25844#axzz1fB58gZ20).

Sigaba
11-30-2011, 14:45
Some of ya'll may not be as long in the tooth or as attuned the the denizens in the legal community as I've been for a bunch of years. [Cornel] West was preaching this crap years ago when he was a professor at Harvard. In fact - he had a LOT to do with a doctrinairre approach to law that was termed Critical Legal Studies (CLS). Harvard was the vanguard for this - ultimately not very successful - theory. The theme was akin to what the poverty-pimps (Jesse and Fat-Albert) have been doing for years: that if you are black/underprivilieged (so long as you were black); or economically depressed (so long as you were black - white crackers from Appalachia need not apply), you are OWED a successful and prosperous life from "the Man".

Similar to the "social justice" crowd. When you hear "social justice", run. It is a thinly veiled synonym for redistributionist economic policies. CLS never really caught on but had quite an impact within the upper-tier law schools and many of the future leaders of the country and industry. Guess what high-profile black man graduated Harvard Law and is imposing similar views on America.....??? That's right: Obama. Kind of all fits in doesn't it...??
QP JimP

While I agree with your assessment of the intellectual sustainability of CLS, I respectfully but strongly disagree with your thumbnail of its intellectual origins. IMO, CLS reflected an Americanized application of the broader tenets of post-structuralism and post-modernism that had worked their ways across the Atlantic from European intellectual circles.

Moreover, I think you and others are misreading West's activism, his political views, and his political philosophy. While the latter is informed by his study of Western philosophy, it is ultimately driven by his faith as a Christian. In regards to his political views, West made clear in a 1989 interview with Anders Stephanson (http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBwQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.indiachinainstitute.org%2Ffil es%2F2011%2F09%2FWest_Anders-Interview-with-Cornel-West.pdf&ei=vpPWTt_uF6mBsgKQpeyxDw&usg=AFQjCNGfIJzV1IcIJdTjlbHoK8S_PwF7Bg), that he feels there is a big gap between what left of center intellectuals say and what they do.

MOO, given West's position as a critic of the political left, it is a grave political and intellectual miscalculation to denigrate his positions on issues such as poverty. I think the political right would be better served were it to engage Professor West in good faith and from a position of intellectual understanding.

My $0.02. YMMV.

BOfH
11-30-2011, 14:51
Source is here (http://www.presidency.ucsb.edu/ws/index.php?pid=25844#axzz1fB58gZ20).

Wow, 30 years young and it could have been written yesterday. :(

JimP
11-30-2011, 15:51
Sigaba - well stated and very good points. You are right in the essence of your argument; however, I have neither the time nor the patience to distill the origins of what West CLAIMS is his background to his philosophic approach as applied to his racist/activist belief's and actions. There's simply no coincidence that he and Larry Tribe come from the same academic background and spout many of the same beliefs. He can portray it as a "Christian-based belief structure" but if you've listened to him over the years, it's nothing more than warmed-over victim studies. No doubt he's a smart man but he's smart enough to know that the raw in-your-face-racism of jesse Jackson turns off far more than it serves. West's approach is far subtler, he argues like a typical liberal psuedo-intellectual. I.e., if you don't agree with him you are simply "misinformed" and not of sufficient intellect to absorb the subtleties of racist policies as enacted by America and the ever-present boogeyman affectionately decried as "Whitey" by less sophisticated "colored people".

I'm too old to try to put a PC face on what is clearly a race-baiting charlatan trying to pull a slicky-boy on the public at large. My days of trying to debate these folks are pretty much over. I prefer to call them as I see them. I won't go out of my way to screw with them but i will let them know that what they are selling won't go well with those of independent thought.

tonyz
11-30-2011, 16:44
Some additional insight into Cornel West by David Horowitz - this is a 12 page article - only brief excerpts are produced below for your convenience.

The complete article is available at the link below.

Hurricane West: Cornel West and American Radicalism

This academic impostor symbolizes the decline in America's intellectual and moral standards.

David Horowitz

National Review online

May 10, 2010 4:00 A.M.

Full Article:

http://www.nationalreview.com/articles/229718/hurricane-west-cornel-west-and-american-radicalism/david-horowitz

Edited Excerpts:

To measure the dimensions of our current predicament, there are few better indicators than the improbable career of a cultural icon and political radical named Cornel West, friend (and former colleague) of Pres. Barack Obama, a man of vacuous ramblings and vaudevillian dimensions who is known to intimates as “Corn,” and to one Venezuelan acolyte as “Hurricane West.”

Because of his cultural prominence and radical enthusiasms, West was named to the Obama presidential campaign’s Council of Black Advisers and introduced Obama on his first campaign stop in Harlem in 2007, where he called the future president “my brother and my companion and comrade.” In return, Obama called West “not only a genius, a public intellectual, an oracle . . . [but] also a loving person.” West has also been a friend and campaigner for Bill Clinton, as well as a political adviser to Sen. Bill Bradley and Al Sharpton in their failed bids for the Democratic party’s presidential nomination in 2004.

THE RÉSUMÉ

Cornel West is the recipient of tenured appointments (and six-figure incomes) at four elite universities, including Harvard, Princeton, and Yale, and has taught at the University of Paris. He has been awarded 20 honorary degrees and is the author of 19 published books, two of which have made the New York Times bestseller list with over 100,000 hardcover copies sold. West is one of a handful of living authors included in the curriculum of Columbia University’s great-books program; there are more references to his work in academic professional journals than to 14 of the other 17 designated “University Professors” on the Harvard faculty; his work is referenced twice as frequently as that of Harvard’s ex-president, Larry Summers, himself a distinguished academic and former secretary of the Treasury, now chairman of the White House Council of Economic Advisers.

A rancorous quarrel between West and Summers in 2001 led to Summers’s censure by his own faculty, while West was promptly recruited for a prestigious post at Princeton. This was considered a momentous cultural event by the New York Times, which reported the story on its front page as national news.

A tireless self-promoter, West refers to his own work as “prophetic” (“I am a prophetic Christian freedom fighter”); the words “prophetic” or “prophesy” appear on the covers of four his books. A collection of casual pieces and reviews is titled Prophetic Fragments, as though West were a contemporary of Ezekiel and the parchments containing his wisdom had been eaten away by time.

While West’s self-adulation has raised the eyebrows of some, it has proven infectious for others, inspiring a chorus of prominent imitators. Maya Angelou, a Pulitzer Prize–winning author and sought-after speaker on the academic lecture circuit, tells us, “Cornel West thinks like a sage, acts like a warrior, and writes like a poetical prophet.” Marian Wright Edelman, wife of a Kennedy adviser, friend of Hillary Clinton, and head of the Children’s Defense Fund, agrees: “Cornel West is one of the most authentic, prophetic, and healing voices in America today.” Time and Newsweek laud him as a “brilliant scholar” and “an eloquent prophet,” while Sam Tanenhaus, editor of The New York Times Book Review, stepped forward as West’s defender in his confrontation with Harvard’s president. West is probably the only professor currently on a faculty who has had a school named after him, the oxymoronic Cornel West Academy of Excellence in Raleigh, N.C.

West is a frequent speaker at the church of Jeremiah Wright, former spiritual mentor to the president, and refers to the well-known race-hater as “my dear brother” and “a prophetic Christian preacher.” He is specifically determined to defend Wright’s notorious anathema — “God damn America.” According to West, it is the function of prophetic Christians such as Wright to call on God to damn America, because America is no different from every nation that treats its citizens as “less than human.”

As an academic celebrity, West is annually invited to deliver more than a hundred speeches on university campuses, at fees ranging from $10,000 to $35,000 per performance. “For me, these lectures were not simply money-making gigs,” he explains, “but occasions to make the world my classroom” and (with the unanchored grandiosity that is his trademark) to make “all people my congregation.”

Those who attend West’s lectures are treated to oracular wisdom like the following, selected at random from West’s 2008 book Hope on a Tightrope: Words and Wisdom.

But while his audiences nod agreeably at this mumbo-jumbo, treating it as a discourse that somehow makes sense, what they really come to hear are the progressive insults to their country and their countrymen, which West serves up at every venue and every turn:

“If you view America from the Jamestown Colony, America is a corporation before it’s a country. If it’s a corporation before it is a country, then white supremacy is married to capitalism. Therefore, white supremacy is something that is so deeply grounded in white greed, hatred, and fear that it constitutes the very foundation for . . . [a] democracy called the U.S.A.”

LOVE AFFAIR WITH RACISTS

One of the instructive anomalies revealed in West’s self-portrait is how much of his love is directed towards figures whose racial and religious malice are their defining features. The black theologian James Cone is introduced in West’s bluesman patois: “I remember going with my colleagues to a conference at Yale. It was a big-time gathering of the most celebrated theologians in the world. When I walked into that hall with my brothers — James Cone, Jim Washington and Jim Forbes — man I felt like we were the Dramatics walking on stage at the Apollo.”

James Cone is the founder of “black theology,” a racist creed built on such canonical sentiments as this: “Theologically, Malcolm X was not far wrong when he called the white man ‘the devil’”; and “What we need is the destruction of whiteness, which is the source of human misery in the world.”

But this self-described moral teacher and disciple of Socrates and Christ has nothing to say about the collusion of progressives in the worst episode of mass murder and human oppression in recorded history. Instead, West is the proud co-chair of the “Democratic Socialists of America,” an organization that defines its position on the left as “anti-anti-Communist” — that is, opposed to those who opposed Communism and supported America’s Cold War against the Soviet gulag.

West is also an enthusiastic member of the academic movement to resurrect the ideas that inspired Communism, burnishing the escutcheons of such Stalinist intellectuals as Gyorgy Lukacs, Antonio Gramsci, Louis Althusser, and Eric Hobsbawm, all heroes of the current university establishment. West himself is the author of books devoted to this resurrection project, including Black Theology and Marxist Thought and The Ethical Dimensions of Marxist Thought, his first book.

Sigaba
11-30-2011, 17:04
Entire postDoes your own reading of any of West's works agree with this analysis of Professor West's thought?

tonyz
11-30-2011, 17:36
Does your own reading of any of West's works agree with this analysis of Professor West's thought?

CW is, no doubt, a prolific writer and speaker and from what I've read and watched - Horowitz may have been kind.

At the risk of grave political and intellectual miscalculation, I believe CW to be an educated and sophisticated charlatan.

YMMV

GratefulCitizen
11-30-2011, 21:08
Are you really prepared to take away all public assistance, and watch these children starve? Go without medical care and clothing, proper shelter?

I never said that.
I said take away federal funding.

The state and local governments, as well as non-governmental entities, are much better suited to the task.
Let the state and local governments, non-governmental charities, and individuals stand or fall on their own.

If the federal government fouls things up, where do you go?
With 50 seperate states and countless other local governments and entities, the best solutions will demonstrate themselves.

When a government spends a fiat currency, it has absolute power to confiscate arbitrary amounts of goods and services.
Absolute power corrupts absolutely.

All that corruption means there is less to go around, and the poor suffer for it.

"The last official act of any government is to loot the treasury." -George Washington

AngelsSix
12-01-2011, 07:25
Sigaba - well stated and very good points. You are right in the essence of your argument; however, I have neither the time nor the patience to distill the origins of what West CLAIMS is his background to his philosophic approach as applied to his racist/activist belief's and actions. There's simply no coincidence that he and Larry Tribe come from the same academic background and spout many of the same beliefs. He can portray it as a "Christian-based belief structure" but if you've listened to him over the years, it's nothing more than warmed-over victim studies. No doubt he's a smart man but he's smart enough to know that the raw in-your-face-racism of jesse Jackson turns off far more than it serves. West's approach is far subtler, he argues like a typical liberal psuedo-intellectual. I.e., if you don't agree with him you are simply "misinformed" and not of sufficient intellect to absorb the subtleties of racist policies as enacted by America and the ever-present boogeyman affectionately decried as "Whitey" by less sophisticated "colored people".

I'm too old to try to put a PC face on what is clearly a race-baiting charlatan trying to pull a slicky-boy on the public at large. My days of trying to debate these folks are pretty much over. I prefer to call them as I see them. I won't go out of my way to screw with them but i will let them know that what they are selling won't go well with those of independent thought.

I agree. I watched one video of West and was instantly thinking the same thing. Same idea with Michelle Bachman and her husband. They think that being "conservative and Christian" is the only Right Thing. (I am referring to the way they believe that you can "pray the gay away", same principles as West, IMO, just a different dynamic).

Conservative Christians can have their say, but I just feel like I see things from a different perspective than they do. It's not about religion to me, it's about the REALITY of a situation based on facts.

dollarbill
12-01-2011, 13:05
I get the feeling West is also opposed to drug screening of all goverment assistance. I can hear it now. Here are your monthly stamps, go get some food or crack. If you run out, your community will resupply. Just be happy.

Sten
12-01-2011, 13:15
I get the feeling West is also opposed to drug screening of all goverment assistance. I can hear it now. Here are your monthly stamps, go get some food or crack. If you run out, your community will resupply. Just be happy.

Yeah and with results like this he is a fool not to back it

ALLAHASSEE --
Since the state began testing welfare applicants for drugs in July, about 2 percent have tested positive, preliminary data shows.

Ninety-six percent proved to be drug free -- leaving the state on the hook to reimburse the cost of their tests.

The initiative may save the state a few dollars anyway, bearing out one of Gov. Rick Scott's arguments for implementing it. But the low test fail-rate undercuts another of his arguments: that people on welfare are more likely to use drugs.

At Scott's urging, the Legislature implemented the new requirement earlier this year that applicants for temporary cash assistance pass a drug test before collecting any benefits.

The law, which took effect July 1, requires applicants to pay for their own drug tests. Those who test drug-free are reimbursed by the state, and those who fail cannot receive benefits for a year.

Having begun the drug testing in mid-July, the state Department of Children and Families is still tabulating the results. But at least 1,000 welfare applicants took the drug tests through mid-August, according to the department, which expects at least 1,500 applicants to take the tests monthly.

So far, they say, about 2 percent of applicants are failing the test; another 2 percent are not completing the application process, for reasons unspecified.

Cost of the tests averages about $30. Assuming that 1,000 to 1,500 applicants take the test every month, the state will owe about $28,800-$43,200 monthly in reimbursements to those who test drug-free.

That compares with roughly $32,200-$48,200 the state may save on one month's worth of rejected applicants.

http://www2.tbo.com/news/politics/2011/aug/24/3/welfare-drug-testing-yields-2-percent-positive-res-ar-252458/

tonyz
12-01-2011, 13:58
Reportedly, another 1,600 other folks have refused to take the FL drug test since the summer 2011.

It is what it is - both sides will spin the facts.

The price for the FL tests reportedly range from $25-$45 per person - a far cry from the thousands of dollars suggested in an earlier thread on this BB discussing the drug testing of welfare recipients.

I believe in FL that the cost of the test is fronted by the recipient and then reimbursed by the state if the test is passed.

All-in-all this topic remains controversial in FL.

PedOncoDoc
12-01-2011, 14:09
Reportedly, another 1,600 other folks have refused to take the FL drug test since the summer 2011.

It is what it is - both sides will spin the facts.

The price for the FL tests reportedly range from $25-$45 per person - a far cry from the thousands of dollars suggested in an earlier thread on this BB discussing the drug testing of welfare recipients.

I believe in FL that the cost of the test is fronted by the recipient and then reimbursed by the state if the test is passed.

All-in-all this topic remains controversial in FL.

Drug testing is most effective when random/unannounced, as many drugs are out of the system within 24-48 hours of use unless someone is a heavy/habitual user. How best to apply random/impromptu testing is unclear, but most people can clean their acts up for short periods of time if they know they need to piss clean.

My $0.02...

The Reaper
12-01-2011, 17:18
Drug testing is most effective when random/unannounced, as many drugs are out of the system within 24-48 hours of use unless someone is a heavy/habitual user. How best to apply random/impromptu testing is unclear, but most people can clean their acts up for short periods of time if they know they need to piss clean.

My $0.02...

But not THC. :D

TR

PedOncoDoc
12-01-2011, 17:24
But not THC. :D

TR

THC can (but not always) clear in 24-48 hours in people who use on rare occasion, but can take up to 10 days to clear in some people. Habitual users have deposition of metabolites in fat and other tissues and have ongoing positive cannibinoid screens due to clearance of the the deposits from other tissues back into the blood and then passed through the urine and can have positive screens over 1 month from last use.

DesertRat
12-01-2011, 20:31
I think they better stick to squatting in parks and smoking pot fighting would not get them very far.