PDA

View Full Version : Cornbread

Maas
09-20-2004, 20:47
I've been working on this, but my prototype production runs have missed the target market (my kids).

I terminated the contract with the technical consultant (divorced the wife) and need some help.

:)

If I hear "Not like Mom's" one more time, they're all going in the leaning rest.

The Reaper
09-20-2004, 20:56
I've been working on this, but my prototype production runs have missed the target market (my kids).

I terminated the contract with the technical consultant (divorced the wife) and need some help.

:)

If I hear "Not like Mom's" one more time, they're all going in the leaning rest.

Can't help with the recipe, but I have to compliment you on your parenting skills!

TR

Sacamuelas
09-20-2004, 21:00
First step...

ALWAYS cook your cornbread in a cast iron skillet.

lrd
09-21-2004, 04:05
First step...

ALWAYS cook your cornbread in a cast iron skillet.
Agreed, and make sure the skillet is seasoned well. (The art of seasoning a skillet is a thread in itself, but you may already know the tricks.)

Step Two...

Make sure your ingredients are fresh. If you are using old baking powder, your bread won't rise.

Did "Mom" use white or yellow meal?

brownapple
09-21-2004, 04:53
I've never been able to get cornbread to come out right... so I cheat and buy mine from Bourbon Street. Find a good source, warm it and serve it. :D

Maas
09-21-2004, 19:40
Thanks Reaper.

White corn meal is what she used.

I have a seasoned cast iron skillet and Sac's right. It ain't cool to cook with anything else. Might as well just be from New York and buy the mix.

;)

Good to see you sir.

brownapple
09-22-2004, 04:43
Thanks Reaper.

I have a seasoned cast iron skillet and Sac's right. It ain't cool to cook with anything else. Might as well just be from New York and buy the mix.

;)

Good to see you sir.

Mix? I don't buy a mix! I buy freshly baked loaves at the local Cajun eatery and bring them home.

lrd
09-22-2004, 05:04
Thanks Reaper.

;)

Good to see you sir.Tell us a little more about this cornbread. :) I know how I make it, which is a little different from how my mother makes it, and is 180 from how my mother-in-law makes it (foreign Kansas cornbread...yellow meal with sugar in it baked like a cake).

What are we shooting for here?

myclearcreek
09-29-2004, 14:30
Maas, did you take Greenhat's advice or are you still searching for the correct cornbread recipe? I have several and no doubt lrd does as well.

Maas
09-29-2004, 21:11
I got it right this weekend. :)

Using a combo of white cornmeal and AP flour. Real butter seems to make a difference also.

I had a recipe that used no flour, just the mix.

I'll post it this weekend when I get back off the road.