PDA

View Full Version : My New 1911

Air.177
09-20-2004, 11:41
Not to Worry Guy, I haven't sold out. I still use the hell out of my Glock, and this one's not a .45.

An SVI .38 super open class pistol.

OKO red dot sight, 21 and 26 round magazines :D

Holds Lotsa bullets, and shoots like a champ out to about 50 yards, beyond that, it gets a little western with that sight.

I am planning on having a 40 S&W limited class top end built for it and taking the red dot off

NousDefionsDoc
09-20-2004, 11:57
Nice. What is it?

Air.177
09-20-2004, 11:59
Sorry 'bout that, it's a Strayer Voight Infinity. Pretty much a purpose built IPSC race gun. Built in Grand Prarie Texas.

NousDefionsDoc
09-20-2004, 12:11
Oh, its a gun! :D

rubberneck
09-20-2004, 12:11
Nice gun. I had a 20 minute telephone conversation last week with Matt Burkett about having a double stack IDPA gun built for me. They offer so many different options it can make your head spin. I finally settled on a design, and now I just have to find $2300+ and wait 3 or 4 months to make it come true. How was the turn around for you? Matt said they were under water and trying to get caught up.

Strayer Voigt are interesting guns. They are definiately conversation pieces.

Did you also buy their interchangable breechfaces? Having 4 or 5 different calibers in the same gun sounds interesting but you are probably better off getting 4 or 5 top halves instead.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 12:23
Nice gun. I had a 20 minute telephone conversation last week with Matt Burkett about having a double stack IDPA gun built for me. They offer so many different options it can make your head spin. I finally settled on a design, and now I just have to find $2300+ and wait 3 or 4 months to make it come true. How was the turn around for you? Matt said they were under water and trying to get caught up.

Strayer Voigt are interesting guns. They are definiately conversation pieces.

Did you also buy their interchangable breechfaces? Having 4 or 5 different calibers in the same gun sounds interesting but you are probably better off getting 4 or 5 top halves instead.

I bought this one used. No other breechfaces although that is an interesting concept. The rear of the slide has been drastically cut down to allow clearance for the optical sight, so standard sights cannot be mounted on this slide.

It is my understanding that SVI sells quite a few guns to the European market, where a customer just says," I want a .38 super" or," I want a .40S&W." US Customers tend to be much more demanding and usually don't order as many guns at a time as the Europeans. I don't know if this is the case, but it is what I have been told.

Regardless of what I end up doing to this pistol, I can nearly guarantee that at no point in it's existance will it be IDPA Legal. Like I say, I would really like to set it up in .40 and shoot limited, but who knows, that may change.

NousDefionsDoc
09-20-2004, 12:37
I was just kidding. nice gun. congratualtions.

Sacamuelas
09-20-2004, 12:43
This just in...

Air.177
09-20-2004, 12:44
I was just kidding. nice gun. congratualtions.
Thank you Sir

NousDefionsDoc
09-20-2004, 12:51
Thank you Sir
No need to get nasty. :)

Air.177
09-20-2004, 12:54
This just in...

I don't even want to hear it. At least it's not a Ruger. :lifter

Tuukka
09-20-2004, 13:09
Good shooter, team mate has one.

Regarding raceguns, should have my hands on a new STI Edge in .40 S&W this week....

Air.177
09-20-2004, 13:16
Good shooter, team mate has one.

Regarding raceguns, should have my hands on a new STI Edge in .40 S&W this week....

I've heard a lot of good things about the STIs. So Long as you don't get carried away about upgrading every single part of the gun and sacrifice reliability for ,"Ooh, shiny thing." but then again, that applies to everything.

Keep us Posted Tuukka

Tuukka
09-20-2004, 13:20
I have experience with STIs since a bunch of my team mates have them. Off the Standard/Limited weapons i rank it at the very top, it isnt cheap but pays off when you dont have to be clearing malfunctions and it will be durable.

No, i wont be customizing it, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Some magazine upgrades possible and slap on some grip tape and thats it.

Razor
09-20-2004, 13:25
Nice blaster. Does Han Solo know you took it?

Air.177
09-20-2004, 13:28
I have experience with STIs since a bunch of my team mates have them. Off the Standard/Limited weapons i rank it at the very top, it isnt cheap but pays off when you dont have to be clearing malfunctions and it will be durable.

No, i wont be customizing it, if it aint broke, dont fix it. Some magazine upgrades possible and slap on some grip tape and thats it.

Good deal. I have used the Dawson precision basepads and mag extensions in the past and they both worked quite well.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 13:32
Nice blaster. Does Han Solo know you took it?

Been there, done that; see dentist's Captain Kirk reference earlier in this thread.

Besides, it's NOT a broomhandle mauser like Solo's

Wouldn't mind having an 8 foot tall sidekick who's handy with a crossbow though :D

rubberneck
09-20-2004, 14:32
I've heard a lot of good things about the STIs.

STI and SVI started life as one company until a fallout between investors lead to the company being split into the two companies. Because of the common heritage their products are very similar. There are some sublte differences but they are more or less the same product.

Roguish Lawyer
09-20-2004, 14:36
Nice cigar box -- I like those, although they are too short.

I'm sure TR is flattered that we're all attempting to imitate his photography. LOL

bberkley
09-20-2004, 14:51
Nice blaster there Air.177. Are you planning on shooting both Open and Limited with the same lower after you get the .40 Topend built? I've heard from a few experienced IPSC guys that its a bad idea to try that.

If you need mags, basepads, etc. look at Grams Engineering. He tuned my STI mags, and they run flawlessly. Plus, I get 20 rounds in each mag, they fit the mag check guage, and it doesn't take a hydraulic press to get the last round in.

Have you considered switching the .38 Super over to 9mm? With 170mm mags, thats 29+1 rounds for Open Hosing.

I've got to finish breaking in my new pistol so I can get it hard-chromed at Tripp. I might send my AR bolt and bolt carrier along with it.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 15:28
Nice blaster there Air.177. Are you planning on shooting both Open and Limited with the same lower after you get the .40 Topend built? I've heard from a few experienced IPSC guys that its a bad idea to try that.

If you need mags, basepads, etc. look at Grams Engineering. He tuned my STI mags, and they run flawlessly. Plus, I get 20 rounds in each mag, they fit the mag check guage, and it doesn't take a hydraulic press to get the last round in.

Have you considered switching the .38 Super over to 9mm? With 170mm mags, thats 29+1 rounds for Open Hosing.

I've got to finish breaking in my new pistol so I can get it hard-chromed at Tripp. I might send my AR bolt and bolt carrier along with it.

Thanks.

No plans to shoot Open at this time, too much $$$ involved in that game, even reloading components for the quantity of .38 super I would need to become proficient and stay that way would bankrupt little old me.

Probably going to mount the sight on something else, and keep the top end around, just for the hell of it.

Grams makes good stuff, but I prefer the Dawsons.

9mm cannot make Major per the current USPSA rules or so I have been told.(else I would be shooting Limited w/ My glock)

I have heard very good things about Tripp's plating work, just that they have a tendancy to take a little while.

Good Times.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 15:33
Nice cigar box -- I like those, although they are too short.

I'm sure TR is flattered that we're all attempting to imitate his photography. LOL

Those are good Cigars.

He's probably LHAO at the feeble attempts (mine anyway)

Oh well, Once I figure out how to shoot a pistol right every time, maybe I'll turn my attention to learning how to shoot with a camera.

bberkley
09-20-2004, 15:54
Thanks.

No plans to shoot Open at this time, too much $$$ involved in that game, even reloading components for the quantity of .38 super I would need to become proficient and stay that way would bankrupt little old me.

Probably going to mount the sight on something else, and keep the top end around, just for the hell of it.

Grams makes good stuff, but I prefer the Dawsons.

9mm cannot make Major per the current USPSA rules or so I have been told.(else I would be shooting Limited w/ My glock)

I have heard very good things about Tripp's plating work, just that they have a tendancy to take a little while.

Good Times.

9mm is allowed for Major in Open. Many of the open guys are using 9mm now instead of .38 because of the brass costs. Buy once-fired for $10-$12 a thousand, and leave it. You would need a spacer in your open mags and load those 9's pretty long, about 1.169 or so.

I'm loading 180gr West Coast Plated over 5gr VV N320 at 1.200 OAL. Its a sweet load for this pistol.

You can shoot Limited with your glock, just shoot A's. :p

Beven Grams does really good work. He warrantees his basepads for life against breakage, plus his mag tuning work is sweet. I haven't seen where anyone else guarantees their work on tuning/parts like he does. Plus, he is a super guy to deal with.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 16:02
9mm is allowed for Major in Open. Many of the open guys are using 9mm now instead of .38 because of the brass costs. Buy once-fired for $10-$12 a thousand, and leave it. You would need a spacer in your open mags and load those 9's pretty long, about 1.169 or so.

I'm loading 180gr West Coast Plated over 5gr VV N320 at 1.200 OAL. Its a sweet load for this pistol.

You can shoot Limited with your glock, just shoot A's. :p

Beven Grams does really good work. He warrantees his basepads for life against breakage, plus his mag tuning work is sweet. I haven't seen where anyone else guarantees their work on tuning/parts like he does. Plus, he is a super guy to deal with.

180 gr. 9mm!!!!

Damn!

I'll look into it. Thanks for setting me right on that BB.

Now then, I need to find some open matches within about an hour of my house or else this may all have been for Naught.

To Google I go.

Razor
09-20-2004, 16:17
Wouldn't mind having an 8 foot tall sidekick who's handy with a crossbow though :D

What's the matter--the sock monkey just not doing it for ya anymore? :D

Air.177
09-20-2004, 16:20
What's the matter--the sock monkey just not doing it for ya anymore? :D

Wise ass

There's one in every crowd, Why the hell are there so many in this one?

And it's a SOCK MONSTER remember.

bberkley
09-20-2004, 17:14
180 gr. 9mm!!!!
Negative, the heaviest bullet I can find for 9mm are 147s. I use the 180gr .40s in my STI.

My 9mm load is 3.6gr VV N320 under a 147gr West Coast Plated at 1.142 OAL.

Air.177
09-20-2004, 17:16
Negative, the heaviest bullet I can find for 9mm are 147s. I use the 180gr .40s in my STI.

My 9mm load is 3.6gr VV N320 under a 147gr West Coast Plated at 1.142 OAL.

Thanks for clearing that up.

The Reaper
09-20-2004, 17:22
Those are good Cigars.

He's probably LHAO at the feeble attempts (mine anyway)

Oh well, Once I figure out how to shoot a pistol right every time, maybe I'll turn my attention to learning how to shoot with a camera.

I think that the pic is fine.

Technically excellent!

Nice Surefire L1 as well.

TR

Air.177
09-20-2004, 17:25
I think that the pic is fine.

Technically excellent!

Nice Surefire L1 as well.

TR

Thank you

The L1 was recommended by a highly reliable source and is the Heat!

Roguish Lawyer
09-20-2004, 17:31
I'm waiting for someone to post photos of a nice weapon sitting next to a sixer of Pabst Blue Ribbon or something. :D

bberkley
09-21-2004, 01:02
I'm waiting for someone to post photos of a nice weapon sitting next to a sixer of Pabst Blue Ribbon or something. :D

That stuff only ever gets purchased for boiling brats in before they go on the grill.

:D :D

Tuukka
09-30-2004, 09:57
Slapped on some skateboard tape on the new Edge and went shooting, smooth piece.

Time to start cranking out ammo....

Endorphin Rush
10-01-2004, 22:36
Oh, sure...wait 'till after midnight when the keg o' Pabst is sucked dry, why don't ya...

Air.177
10-02-2004, 10:20
Slapped on some skateboard tape on the new Edge and went shooting, smooth piece.

Time to start cranking out ammo....

Very nice.

Pics?