PDA

View Full Version : South African Muslims furious at 'halal pork' scandal

Pete
11-16-2011, 05:17
South African Muslims furious at 'halal pork' scandal

Sometimes the morning news is just plain odd. But boil it down - his company did label some cans of pork Halal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-15753835

"South African Muslims have reacted with outrage to allegations that a leading meat importer labelled pork as halal.

The head of Cape Town-based Orion Cold Storage said he had received death threats since the allegation surfaced. He says he is the victim of a smear campaign by rival businesses..."

greenberetTFS
11-16-2011, 10:50
Interesting post............ We have a muslim lady that works in the checkout line at the Walmart here who has refused to checkout any pork products........... :rolleyes: They tried to re-assign her but she refuses to take another position and Walmart can't fire her because they cannot violate her religious rights............:rolleyes: So much for assimilation.....:mad:

Big Teddy :munchin

PedOncoDoc
11-16-2011, 11:00
Interesting post............ We have a muslim lady that works in the checkout line at the Walmart here who has refused to checkout any pork products........... :rolleyes: They tried to re-assign her but she refuses to take another position and Walmart can't fire her because they cannot violate her religious rights............:rolleyes: So much for assimilation.....:mad:

It's a shame that companies cannot fire someone who knowingly takes a position that requires duties directly in conflict with religious beliefs of the employee, or who refuses to transfer positions once a conflict between religious beliefs and required duties is identified.

This reminds me of having to cover extra weekend shifts during residency for orthodox Jewish doctors who refused to work sundown on Friday through sundown on Saturday, effectively removing them from the weekend call pool. Nothing against their faith - but why did they commit to a job that they knew would require 24+ hour stints in the hospital including weekends?

Back to the OP - if the company did, in fact, label pork products as halal, erroneously or not, they should step up and accept responsibility.

Responding with death threats is inappropriate, however, and should be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law IMHO.

orion5
11-16-2011, 11:07

See, I don't understand that...all jobs have basic requirements.

Some jobs say that you must be able to lift 50 lbs. Are we going to let someone claim she can't lift 50 lbs for religious reasons? A company has the right to reassign a worker that can't complete the basic duties of that job.

Now Walmart will have to come out with yet another legal disclaimer for their prospective employees: "If you accept this position, you AGREE to handle and scan ANY PRODUCT we sell in our Walmart stores." .....including guns and pork......

Richard
11-16-2011, 11:35
They tried to re-assign her but she refuses to take another position and Walmart can't fire her because they cannot violate her religious rights...

Moving her to the same position but from the grocery side to the retail or gardening side of the store where she's not handling pork is no violation of anybody's 'rahts'** - the common term would be reasonable accomodation.

Richard :munchin

**The Killer Angels

Pete
11-17-2011, 06:34
Moving her to the same position but from the grocery side to the retail or gardening side of the store where she's not handling pork is no violation of anybody's 'rahts'** - the common term would be reasonable accomodation.

Richard :munchin

**The Killer Angels

At Wal-mat you can check out anything at any register - I think. Don't know if the lawn and garden registers have the weight scale or not for stuff sold by weight.

Around here food is on one side and L/G on the other with general sales stuff in between. It would be a stretch but no guarantee she'd stay pork free.

When I'm ready to check out I head for the nearest register with the shortest line.

mark46th
11-17-2011, 09:48
The company president said he had received death threats. Gee, death threats from muslims. How unusual. All I can think of is Jeff Dunham's dead terrorist puppet- "I Keel You!"