PDA

View Full Version : Long term impact

DisplacedTrojan
10-27-2011, 13:58
Gentlemen,

It's been a long day and I just wanted to share this picture with you all. This was taken 27OCT2011 in Africa. This man was displaying the diploma earned by his father as a PVT in 1964 for completing a one week drivers training course. He was so proud and happy to see an American in his area that he ran and grabbed it to show us. You all know your impact, but sometimes it's nice to be reminded. If anyone knows Phillip A Walsh (MAJ, IN in 1964) from 6th Group tell him thanks, because today (47 years later) he helped me.

v/r

Eagle5US
10-27-2011, 14:13
That's just NEAT.

Thanks for posting such a cool story.

1stindoor
10-27-2011, 14:27
Thanks. It's things like that diploma that the general public and a lot of our elected officials fail to grasp. Those things we do today can be the difference between a friend or an enemy in the future.

Guy
10-27-2011, 14:27
All those that are graduating the "Q" course and those that think only; DA is the bomb-diggity.:eek::rolleyes:

"Hey sir! I'm going to walk into that village and round up kids for Iraqi kids day..."

Guy! That's dangerous!

"I have have their hearts and minds...just be prepared when they come running..."

Guy! We have a little girl carrying an infant?

"Fuck it...let'em both in!"

Stay safe.

bluebb
10-27-2011, 15:04
A piece of paper - 1 cent
deploying an ODA halfway around the world in 1964 - 5,000 dollars (just guessing)
Winning hearts and minds a half century later - priceless

Blue

Dusty
10-27-2011, 15:41
That's what it's all about. :cool: Made my day...

glebo
10-27-2011, 15:47
Wow...that is exactley.....what to do..

Great story, I agree, great teaching point in the course..:lifter

mark46th
10-27-2011, 15:59
That is great.

Pete
10-27-2011, 16:07
Those were hand typed back in the day.

The Company - or Team - S-1 would type those on a non-electric typewriter. Usually take a couple of evenings after regular training - finishing up by Coleman Lantern.

Then the electric typewriter and wonder of wonders in 1987 we took our team computer to Africa. Worried about steady power and overheating but it did the job and made printing out deplomas a lot easier - but you still needed to type in the student's info and set the fields.

By 1994 the company computer could create a joint jump deploma that made all the soldiers who got one happy.

To some - a little thing to us - can be so important to them.

A point to remember.

Good job Detachment A-6