PDA

View Full Version : Just another "dry run" ?

Roycroft201
09-16-2004, 14:56
Another news source reported that the 2 men entered the mall, without their female companion, walked the hallways down to the food court, turned around and walked back out, got into their van and picked up the woman who had deposited the suitcase, and drove to the Rainbow Bridge in Niagara Falls, to re-enter Canada.

http://www.buffalonews.com/editorial/20040915/6057758.asp

Roguish Lawyer
09-16-2004, 15:20
It gives me great comfort to think of how diligent and capable the typical mall security guard is these days. :rolleyes:

Condition yellow, 24/7, all of us -- orange in shopping malls. Or so I would think.

:munchin

The Reaper
09-16-2004, 15:25
It gives me great comfort to think of how diligent and capable the typical mall security guard is these days. :rolleyes:

Well, they should be, with all of the Mall Ninjas working security there.

Terrorist would have to be a fool to strike there.

Someone might drop a spoon.

TR

pulque
09-16-2004, 15:56
TOWN OF NIAGARA - A "suspicious" suitcase left at Prime Outlets Mall on Monday night that turned out to contain an electronic typewriter caused police to shut a section of the mall and evacuate several stores, Town of Niagara police reported. Three people were later questioned by officials at the Rainbow Bridge but not arrested or detained.

looks like CBS's pickup was late for the swap :D

Team Sergeant
09-16-2004, 16:11
It gives me great comfort to think of how diligent and capable the typical mall security guard is these days.

And what do you expect for $5.00 an hour? Navy SEALS, Special Forces soldiers? You find me a mall that pays $35 an hour and I'll sign on... :munchin

Our malls in Arizona are a great place for bad guys as no civilian good guys can carry CCW in any of them, and mall security is unarmed.

TS

Roguish Lawyer
09-16-2004, 16:23
And what do you expect for $5.00 an hour? Navy SEALS, Special Forces soldiers? You find me a mall that pays $35 an hour and I'll sign on... :munchin

Our malls in Arizona are a great place for bad guys as no civilian good guys can carry CCW in any of them, and mall security is unarmed.

TS

Well that's a good discussion topic, isn't it? What is the solution?

Some possible components:

1. Improve awareness and responsibility of all citizens.
2. Allow CCW in malls.
3. Require malls to provide better security -- everyone pays for it through higher prices.
4. Local governments deal with the problem -- cops in malls maybe.
5. State governments deal with the problem -- National Guard in malls?
6. Federal government deals with the problem -- cops? Troops?

pulque
09-16-2004, 17:30
Well that's a good discussion topic, isn't it? What is the solution?

Some possible components:

1. Improve awareness and responsibility of all citizens.
2. Allow CCW in malls.
3. Require malls to provide better security -- everyone pays for it through higher prices.
4. Local governments deal with the problem -- cops in malls maybe.
5. State governments deal with the problem -- National Guard in malls?
6. Federal government deals with the problem -- cops? Troops?

I agree, great topic. Is this a completely separate issue than the question of allowing teachers in schools to CCW because they are already there in the school?

The Reaper
09-16-2004, 18:04
I agree, great topic. Is this a completely separate issue than the question of allowing teachers in schools to CCW because they are already there in the school?

I do not see a school as the same as a mall.

Separate issues, IMHO.

TR

DanUCSB
09-18-2004, 13:38
Mall security personnel is a non-issue. They're there to deter shoplifting and chase out rowdy teenagers (and usually fail at these tasks, anyway). Asking them to prevent terrorist attacks is an absurdity.

Now a mall with TS guarding it, well, I wouldn't mess with that one. :D