PDA

View Full Version : CRKT M21-04G

Buffalobob
10-23-2011, 08:40
It was my understanding that the production of this knife was being cancelled and being as I am very fond of the M16 and have lost more than one in the woods, I decided to order a M21 to see if I liked it. I had gutted out an elk with the M-16 and it was just a little on the delicate side for working on the sternum. I dislike serrated blades, so I found one that had a plain blade and spear point. Unfortunately all of the current models have the little red moron button on them which must have been designed by a retired lawyer. But being as I do not carry it for self defense the safety alock is not real bothersome. It also came with the pocket clip which always causes me to search for a Philips screw driver small enough to get the three screws out so I actually have a knife I can hold in my hand.

Here are a couple of videos of the knife at work. This is a very unsophisticated knife which does a job correctly with a minimum of bullshit. I prefer a straight blade for sharpening purposes but the slight concave in the blade is helpful when you need to apply brute force to the knife. I am no wizard at sharpening knives and basically I only try to get a knife sharp enough to do what I intend the knife to be used for. The knife is a little on the heavy side for packing around all day but when you need a sturdy knife, the weight is of little concern and feels good in your hand. As you can see in the video of the antelope the handle is very secure in your hand even when coated with blood. I always have at least one or two stones in my gear when I am traveling far from home on a hunting trip. Funny thing happened in working on the elk in the second video - I thought the knife was getting dull until I sliced up my thumb and then I decided it was still pretty damn sharp. All in all this is a very good knife for carrying around hunting and it resides in my hunting pack 365 a year.

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum#p/u/9/BNaZ_XquCJ8

http://www.youtube.com/user/Microcystis?feature=mhum#p/u/0/OMHZ5wt5_JM

You will also notice I don't get squeamish and gag and throw up all over the antelope. :D :D

JJ_BPK
10-23-2011, 09:39
You will also notice I don't get squeamish and gag and throw up all over the antelope. :D :D

This should be a training film for a BSA field craft badge..

Good job.. :lifter

mark46th
10-23-2011, 20:34
I didn't gag or throw up when I field dressed my antelope but it did not smell like gardenias when I opened it up... Chukar smell worse but not much...

Kit Carson
10-23-2011, 21:10
Buffalobob, thanks for posting..that M21 is my favorite of the 60+ folders I've designed for CRK&T.

Make an old, retired STUMP proud...:)

JJ_BPK
10-24-2011, 04:34
I didn't gag or throw up when I field dressed my antelope but it did not smell like gardenias when I opened it up... Chukar smell worse but not much...

Specially if the shot is end-2-end.. I stopped hunting in the Florida management area, because they insisted that you bring the deer & pigs to the weight-in station,, UNDRESSED. That extra hour or so at "room temps",, sure makes for a sweet bouquet... We also have blood born pathogens, so you must use gloves..

Cold weather helps..

Barbarian
10-24-2011, 06:45
Buffalobob

Nice review, Sir. Enjoyed the videos as well. Didn't realize you had so many videos. There acutally is something worth watching on youtube!

Also, congrats on the antelope.:lifter