PDA

View Full Version : Got The Other Knee Worked On

TOMAHAWK9521
10-14-2011, 11:44
I underwent another patellar tendon fenestration/open debridement/LOA/plica excision on the 13th, this time on the right knee. The doc said there was a lot of trashed tissue in the tendon that had to be removed. The nerve block drip comes out today so I'm girding myself for when the pain begins to kick in shortly after.

I'll be in an immobilizing brace for 6 weeks and using the CPM 8 hours/day for 4 weeks. As with the left knee, which was operated on back mid-April, they're giving me between 6-9 months before the knee fully heals. With that in mind, the left should be healed by mid January but I'll have to wait until July before I can begin putting some muscle back on my chicken legs.

Any advice you gents can provide on training regimens for restrengthening the legs without irritating the knees would be greatly appreciated. Biking is already on the program but I'd like to be able to at least jog or use the "Habit Trail" treadmill in the gym. I have no illusions about being able to run long distances again, or squatting a small car. However, I would like to put muscle back on the legs and be able to do some cardio with the legs to tighten up the core, as well as being able to hike up into the mountains again for elk and deer.

Longstreet
10-14-2011, 14:36
While I cannot offer any suggestions that would help with your knee situation, my GF might as she is a physiotherapist. If you like, I can ask her or if you prefer, you can email her. PM me if you would like her email address.

jaYson

greenberetTFS
10-14-2011, 17:03
Hey guys,you forget we got Blitz for that kind of help........;)

Big Teddy :munchin

cszakolczai
10-14-2011, 20:02
Ive had a few knee surgeries myself more than I can count on one hand. I don't know all the medical terms and what I had done but I do know that strengthening exercises I practiced were bike riding and lots of horse stance/ wall sits. I know the one thing I would say is definitely don't rush it. I almost destroyed one surgery by rushing my recovery time.

Oh also I did a lot of leg lifts. Lay on your back. Strap an ankle weight on and do straight leg lifts. You'll be fuckin furious as to the fact you can't even lift your leg, but before you know it, it will just be another chapter in your life you can look back on and say you persevered through.

TOMAHAWK9521
10-14-2011, 22:32
Ive had a few knee surgeries myself more than I can count on one hand. I don't know all the medical terms and what I had done but I do know that strengthening exercises I practiced were bike riding and lots of horse stance/ wall sits. I know the one thing I would say is definitely don't rush it. I almost destroyed one surgery by rushing my recovery time.

Oh also I did a lot of leg lifts. Lay on your back. Strap an ankle weight on and do straight leg lifts. You'll be fuckin furious as to the fact you can't even lift your leg, but before you know it, it will just be another chapter in your life you can look back on and say you persevered through.

Hell, they have me trying to do quad-flexes with my leg flat on a table right now. I told them I'd have a better chance of melting a hole in the wall with my mind before I can focus enough concentration to get my quad to even flinch.

cszakolczai
10-14-2011, 23:47
Hell, they have me trying to do quad-flexes with my leg flat on a table right now. I told them I'd have a better chance of melting a hole in the wall with my mind before I can focus enough concentration to get my quad to even flinch.

I hear ya on that one. I remember my last surgery when they said "ok lift your leg" after a week had passed by. All I remember is pain and not being able to do it, followed by me getting pissed off and throwing my crutches onto the floor like a big baby. I can't even tell you how many times I would just lose it haha. I felt really badly for the other people in the therapists office at the time I was there.

If you need anything let me know. I have a bunch of stuff left over from my surgeries. I'm sure you have everything. But just in case you need anything at all, just drop me a PM.

Tatonka316
10-15-2011, 07:58
PM inbound hot!

molon labe:lifter