PDA

View Full Version : SDS-made in Vietnam

BadMuther
09-15-2004, 21:31
My buddy just got some SDS Rack m-4 pouches....in bold letters on the label it says "made in vietnam"........WTF?

Guess I'll stick to buying TT, paraclete and sheeit, maybe some of those "battle labs" ripoff pouches from DBT. :cool:

pbr549xxx
09-16-2004, 10:12
From what I understand, the gear SDS sells to the military is made in the USA, but the commercially available gear is made in Vietnam.

BadMuther
09-16-2004, 10:18
From what I understand, the gear SDS sells to the military is made in the USA, but the commercially available gear is made in Vietnam.

My buddy thought that too......I've ordered from SDS in the past, and my stuff was all made in the USA...wonder when they switched to making things in Vietnam?

The Reaper
09-16-2004, 10:37
My buddy thought that too......I've ordered from SDS in the past, and my stuff was all made in the USA...wonder when they switched to making things in Vietnam?

Uh, cause wages are 10% of what they are here, and Blackhawk proves that it can be done and most people don't know/care.

No price reduction, of course, just more profit!

TR

BadMuther
09-16-2004, 10:58
Uh, cause wages are 10% of what they are here, and Blackhawk proves that it can be done and most people don't know/care.

No price reduction, of course, just more profit!

TR

Sir, I understand why they did it, I just wasn't sure of when they did it.

JGarcia
09-16-2004, 11:48
I was lucky I guess, I have been buying exclusively from SDS since I noticed the first thing I bought from BH was made in vietnam. (Honestly though, the prices were usually MUCH cheaper than BH too, and the quality is good, the SDS stuff I bought went all the way through a year in Iraq with me and never broke.) If what you say is true about SDS, its a sad day.

Sometimes I wish there was more to corporate conscience than profit-idealists are often disappointed.

pbr549xxx
09-20-2004, 08:00
My buddy just got some SDS Rack m-4 pouches....in bold letters on the label it says "made in vietnam"........WTF?

Guess I'll stick to buying TT, paraclete and sheeit, maybe some of those "battle labs" ripoff pouches from DBT. :cool:

BadMuther,
I spoke with a good friend of mine who is in the gear business. He said that what your buddy bought was a foriegn knock-off.
Here's what he told me.

"That guy bought some rip-off knock off stuff. SDS cannot afford to make
anything overseas because of the Barry Amendment. Less than 5% of SDS business
comes from individual sales. That means 95% comes from government contracting
and direct sales. It is illegal to do what this cat is saying, hence BHI being
removed from the GSA schedule. They would be finished if they sold overseas
gear to the Gov."

Hope this makes everyone feel good about SDS again. He gave me a little history on SDS. He said that prior to getting the MOLLE contract from the govt., they made stuff like duffle bags and aviators kits bags. Now they are really getting into making some quality tactical gear.

Razor
09-20-2004, 10:52
While what your bud said makes sense in theory, a customer service employee of SDS (Mike Walker) has confirmed that there are two actual production lines--one in the US for making govt contract equipment, and one in VN for making commercially available equipment.

pbr549xxx
09-20-2004, 15:45
While what your bud said makes sense in theory, a customer service employee of SDS (Mike Walker) has confirmed that there are two actual production lines--one in the US for making govt contract equipment, and one in VN for making commercially available equipment.

Man, straight to the horse mouth, good job Razor. I'll pass this info on to my friend. Im wondering though, does the one in VN produce tactical gear or just luggage type stuff. Did Mr. Walker go into detail? I bought an SDS Ranger RACK and I'll check and see where it was made tomorrow when I straighten out my storage room.

Bill Harsey
09-20-2004, 16:54
BadMuther,
I spoke with a good friend of mine who is in the gear business. He said that what your buddy bought was a foriegn knock-off.
Here's what he told me.

"That guy bought some rip-off knock off stuff. SDS cannot afford to make
anything overseas because of the Barry Amendment. Less than 5% of SDS business
comes from individual sales. That means 95% comes from government contracting
and direct sales. It is illegal to do what this cat is saying, hence BHI being
removed from the GSA schedule. They would be finished if they sold overseas
gear to the Gov."

Hope this makes everyone feel good about SDS again. He gave me a little history on SDS. He said that prior to getting the MOLLE contract from the govt., they made stuff like duffle bags and aviators kits bags. Now they are really getting into making some quality tactical gear.
BlackHawk is NOT removed from the GSA purchasing system. I got this straight from the GSA Contract holder for Blackhawk today (20 September 2004) that handles Blackhawk gear. Also of note, I believe Vietnam is a LEGAL country of trade with the United States.

NousDefionsDoc
09-20-2004, 17:37
right. Mike and his lawyers have a stay or something while they duke it out.

Team Sergeant
09-20-2004, 17:51
I believe Vietnam is a LEGAL country of trade with the United States.

Thanks to slick willie I'm sure!!!

Bill Harsey
09-20-2004, 18:33
All you guys here know I fully support anyones choice to purchase gear made in whatever country they think it should be from. I'm kinda old fashioned and still think "Made In USA" stands for something, so does Chris Reeve on this issue.

BamBam
09-22-2004, 10:51
Ya Know I'm one who normally don't care where a product is made, I do like to try and buy American whenever possible but be damned if I knowing will buy something made in VN. It may be all mental, but I think they have not answered a lot of questions, I know Slick Willie and others let them off damn it, but I refuse to support the commie bastards and any company that supports them. Just my feelings on the subject.

SP5IC
09-22-2004, 17:04
Lads,

I ordered two polo shirts from Ranger Quartermaster or something like that. They had a double canopy SF patch...looks nice. Made in Vietnam, do they have no shame? I'm gonna check on my SF Bookstore 5th SFG shirt...Maritarius?

Mark A.

pbr549xxx
09-24-2004, 08:46
Ok, I did some more investigating. The MOLLE gear the SDS makes is not made overseas. It is made in Pensillvania. The do produce items like shaving kits, garmet bags, gym bags and civilian duffles and packs with Army logos on them for AAFES. These are the products that are made overseas.

optactical
10-04-2004, 04:54
Blackhawk RACK gear is made in Vietnam, and almost identical to the SDS version.

Noticeable differences: BPG woody cam is darker and it is not nylon, also neither has the company of origin on it IIRC, so that may well be a BPG pouch.

As for SDS producing MOLLE overseas, I have my doubts since the majority of their gear is sold via gov't contract and they have done considerable expansion of their stateside facilities (check the website).

I have had serious heartburn in the past with SDS (warranty in particular), but am going to offer their gear as a stateside alternative to BPG, plus BPG is or already has sold out all of their RACK gear.

Razor
10-04-2004, 08:16
OP, when are you going to get a real job again? :D

optactical
10-04-2004, 08:59
Razor, what's up bro? I got's me a job, check your PM...

Bill Harsey
10-04-2004, 09:02
I'm not familar with SDS, and Google only shows some pieces sold by other retailers. Anyone got a link?

optactical
10-04-2004, 09:18
www.specialtydefense.com should work, or try a google for Specialty Defense Systems.

BadMuther
10-05-2004, 19:49

Pretty much says it all.

You guys can doubt it all you want, but when you order it straight from SDS and it arrives with "Made In Vietnam"on it it doesn't really leave much doubt in my mind.

Thanks for the info Razor.