PDA

View Full Version : Reactions to Field Dressing.

Longstreet
10-12-2011, 20:33
A few years ago I decided to take up hunting and got my small game license to do so. One of my friends is into hunting and since I live in a gun phobic city (archery and/or crossbows are considered the same as guns), finding other people to do go with not easy. So I have pursued this activity pretty much alone (the one hunting friend I have is rarely available to go hunting with).

I will admit that I sometimes have visions of taking down big prey such as a moose or a deer, but I am starting small as if I was to kill anything big, I have no idea what I would do with it and fear it would be wasted. So squirrel season has started in my province and I went out last weekend. Using a high powered pellet gun, I was impressed with myself as I killed a squirrel about five minutes into my hunt and did so with one shot (he was about 30 yards away). I grabbed my squirrel by the tail and took him to a prepared spot where I planned to clean him. This is where I fell apart.

Before going out hunting, I watched several YouTube videos about how to clean a squirrel. I learned how to remove its fur and clean it. I intended to BBQ my squirrel and have it as an (ahem) hors d'oeuvre as I did not want to simply kill it for practice and then have the squirrel go to waste. Unfortunately I made many mistakes when skinning it and the whole thing turned into a huge mess with me in the end simply throwing the squirrel in the garbage.

Now the reason I am making this post is because of the state I was in when cleaning the squirrel. I had not exerted myself while hunting, but I was sweating profusely. The temperature was about 65 degrees and I was working in the shade with a light breeze; still, my shirt was damp from sweat. A few times I felt like I was going to gag and had to stop a for a quick break. So I am now wondering is this normal when dealing with game for the first time? And more importantly, how do I overcome it? Is it simply a more you do it the easier it becomes or do I need to somehow prep myself psychologically? During the event it was strange as my stomach and sweat glands seemed to be saying no, but my brain was saying yes because I really want to learn how to hunt and prep any game that I have. I will overcome all of this, but am looking for some pointers to better deal with it. Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson

SF-TX
10-12-2011, 20:38
Any help or suggestions are appreciated. Thanks.

jaYson

Don't eat for several days prior to your next hunt.

Longstreet
10-12-2011, 20:50
Don't eat for several days prior to your next hunt.
Nah I only had the dry heaves. My breakfast stayed where it was supposed to. I guess I could always consider a cold pack for my head, but that would be silly.

jaYson

rdret1
10-12-2011, 20:55
Didn't you ever dissect anything in high school?

SF-TX
10-12-2011, 20:57
The suggestion had nothing to do with concerns over regurgitating your breakfast.

lksteve
10-12-2011, 20:59
I guess I could always consider a cold pack for my head, but that would be silly.It ain't silly if it works...you could also consider dramamine....

Longstreet
10-12-2011, 21:25
The suggestion had nothing to do with concerns over regurgitating your breakfast.
My apologies as I misinterpreted your response. I know that my post opens myself up big time to jabs and jokes from PS members.:)
Are you saying that by slightly starving myself, I will only be focused on eating so my body will not be concerned with sweating or gaging?

It ain't silly if it works...you could also consider dramamineI had not thought of that. Any idea if it would help the sweating or only the gaging part?

Utah Bob
10-12-2011, 21:52
You were just coming down off the adrenalin high from the kill.

Like Sean Bean in Ronin.:D:D

Longstreet
10-12-2011, 22:08

That is what I told my family, but somehow they were not buying it. What makes it more funny is that I was buying it . . .

alelks
10-12-2011, 22:18
I grew up slaughtering animals to eat so it has never bothered me. You'll get use to it and just remember it's natural. So many people these days have no clue what it takes to dress an animal of any kind. I'd say 95% of America is in the same boat. Our ancestors did it to survive but we have lost many of those skills. Go out and hunt what you can eat, get some experience dressing it and eventually you'll start to become accustomed to doing it. Another thing I use to do is work on a volunteer rescue squad. You see EVERYTHING working on a rescue squad and you learn to deal with it which of course is a good thing if you're in the military as you'll typically be able to keep your cool while others loose theirs.

Just my .02 worth.

Longstreet
10-12-2011, 22:48
So many people these days have no clue what it takes to dress an animal of any kind. I'd say 95% of America is in the same boat.
That is one of the driving forces behind my interest in hunting and deciding that despite my body's reaction, I will master this skill. It is encouraging to hear that with continued exposure, my response to this type of a situation will lesson. Thanks for the post.

jaYson

Pete
10-13-2011, 03:16
The first time with anything is hard. It was a "new" experience for you.

You may know the procedure from watching videos but the first few times of "hands on" with a furry critter will get you a little out of sorts.

My problem is I did it so little, haven't done it in so long and my knife ain't that sharp that I would be more worried I'd mangle the little critter into tufts of fur and meat shards. :eek:

Hats off to you for giving it a go.

Dusty
10-13-2011, 03:49
This OP's whole post should be in pink. Somebody's got to be pulling somebody's leg.

No way it's got that bad...

Barbarian
10-13-2011, 06:13
No way it's got that bad...

It's pretty bad.

Longstreet- As the QP's said, keep it up. It becomes second nature (well, it's actually first nature, I guess.)

s
10-13-2011, 06:51
It becomes easier with habit. I remember my first field dressings done on rabbits. Wasn't a piece of cake but wasn't that bad either. After a few you won't even notice it but will focus on doing it properly instead.

Utah Bob
10-13-2011, 07:34
Try grunting a lot.:rolleyes::D

Richard
10-13-2011, 07:59
Reading a book or watching a video is fine, but it's always easier when you have somebody who knows what they're doing to coach you through something like this the first couple of times - keeps you from mangling the job, it helps reduce the angst related reactions, and its always helpful to get tips on some of the small things to do or not do.

If you insist on doing it by the 'book' - I suggest you find the Foxfire books which offer excellent step-by-step instructions, relevant illustrations, and handy tips.

I bet somebody at your shooting club would be willing to help show you the ropes the next time...and share the hors d`oeuvres with you. ;)

Richard :munchin

Dusty
10-13-2011, 08:07
This is for real?

Just cut a slit in the skin of its back, insert the first two fingers of each hand, and rip it off the body. Then slice the skin from anus to throat and pop out the guts.

I thought this was a joke. My bad.

Team Sergeant
10-13-2011, 08:19
This is for real?Just cut a slit in the skin of its back, insert the first two fingers of each hand, and rip it off the body. Then slice the skin from anus to throat and pop out the guts.

I thought this was a joke. My bad.

Maybe and maybe no.... but it is amusing.....

I guess Longstreet never attended a "Kill Class"......

We should give him a white bunny and a mission.....;)

SF_BHT
10-13-2011, 08:23
Maybe and maybe no.... but it is amusing.....

I guess Longstreet never attended a "Kill Class"......

We should give him a white bunny and a mission.....;)

He has to get one of Bill's knives to go through the kill class. Proper tool for the for proper job;)

SF-TX
10-13-2011, 08:27
Are you saying that by slightly starving myself, I will only be focused on eating so my body will not be concerned with sweating or gaging?

?

That, or you will be hungry enough to work through the nausea.

Longstreet
10-13-2011, 08:37
This OP's whole post should be in pink. Somebody's got to be pulling somebody's leg.

It is not wise to lie in a room full of QP's. So unfortunately my situation is true.

Reading a book or watching a video is fine, but it's always easier when you have somebody who knows what they're doing to coach you through something like this the first couple of times - keeps you from mangling the job, it helps reduce the angst related reactions, and its always helpful to get tips on some of the small things to do or not do.

If you insist on doing it by the 'book' - I suggest you find the Foxfire books which offer excellent step-by-step instructions, relevant illustrations, and handy tips.

I bet somebody at your shooting club would be willing to help show you the ropes the next time...and share the hors d`oeuvres with you.

Thanks for the Foxfire book Richard. I will be looking into it in the near future. The only reason I am forced to rely on YouTube is that as mentioned, my options are limited. While rural Canada has no problems with guns or hunting, urban areas are a different story (you should have seen the 'spat' I had over the weekend with shooting my airgun and my sister-in-law's concern about her children. I had to move my shooting range becasue she feared her children might get hurt even though they were 40 yards away in the opposite direction of where we were firing). Toronto closed down a number of shooting ranges a few years ago in an attempt to lower gun crime. I am not too sure what the connection is with ligit law abiding gun owners and thugs using illegal guns to commit crimes, but the mayor somehow did. Other shooting ranges are either too far or open at times that do not suit my schedule. So finding a mentor is not easy. I do keep my ears open though, but I am eager to learn the basics and have a hard time waiting for 'one day'.

He has to get one of Bill's knives to go through the kill class. Proper tool for the for proper job
That part SF BHT, I think I have covered. I used a Benchmade Rant for the cutting. That thing has got to be the sharpest knife I have ever encountered. No doubt it is overkill for a squirrel, but I do not plan on hunting squirrels forever. Shears would have come in handy though.

To the rest of you, thanks so much for your suggestions and help. I do appreciate it and am looking forward to getting out again.

jaYson

Tress
10-13-2011, 10:25
Originally posted by Dusty:

Just cut a slit in the skin of its back, insert the first two fingers of each hand, and rip it off the body. Then slice the skin from anus to throat and pop out the guts.

Similar to using the "golf ball" method of skinning deer. This works like a charm but only when the carcass is still warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndfsXN7fQ0

Tress

ZonieDiver
10-13-2011, 10:38
I was killing and dressing "critters" from an early age - squirrels, rabbits, chickens, etc. I was amazed at Camp Mackall at how many of the guys had never done, or even seen, such activities.

I have friends who found a good way to get over squeamishness with such matters was to start with fish. Do you fish? I think most Canadians are okay with that. (If not, will they cede all of Lake of the Woods to the USA?:D)

rdret1
10-13-2011, 11:01
I was killing and dressing "critters" from an early age - squirrels, rabbits, chickens, etc. I was amazed at Camp Mackall at how many of the guys had never done, or even seen, such activities.

I have friends who found a good way to get over squeamishness with such matters was to start with fish. Do you fish? I think most Canadians are okay with that. (If not, will they cede all of Lake of the Woods to the USA?:D)

Same here. Growing up on a cattle ranch had it benefits. Mom got mad at me when she told me to go get a chicken for dinner, so I shot one with my bow. When I gave it to her with the arrow still sticking out she wasn't amused. I think I was around 8 or 9.:D

mugwump
10-13-2011, 12:11

Like Sean Bean in Ronin.:D:D

Now that's funny.

1stindoor
10-13-2011, 14:05
It becomes easier with habit. I remember my first field dressings done on rabbits....

...and if done properly will give you a nice rabbit puppit to keep yourself occupied during survival training.

s
10-13-2011, 15:11
I've never been through SERE, but yes. Done it properly will leave you with a nice puppet. Unless you also eat the cooked brains like my father does, which forces you to stew or bake the head with the rest of the bunny. If so, proper execution will only leave you with a nice furry handkerchief... :D:D

Dusty
10-13-2011, 15:34
Similar to using the "golf ball" method of skinning deer. This works like a charm but only when the carcass is still warm.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ndfsXN7fQ0

Tress

I shot a boar fox squirrel up here so big I had to golfball it.:D

Last hard class
10-13-2011, 16:16
After squirrel hunting, I like to hide a head or two in the bowl of beer nuts at the nearest bar. :D

Dusty
10-13-2011, 16:19
After squirrel hunting, I like to hide a head or two in the bowl of beer nuts at the nearest bar. :D

lol Hey! :D

Tress
10-13-2011, 16:31
Originally posted by Dusty:

I shot a boar fox squirrel up here so big I had to golfball it. :D

Kinda like this one? :D

Tress

Dusty
10-13-2011, 16:40
Kinda like this one? :D

Tress

Not quite...now, that's a whopper. :D

cold1
10-13-2011, 18:45
Here is a link to amazon search. Plenty of books on butchering and skinning.

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_ss_c_1_15?url=search-alias%3Dstripbooks&field-keywords=butchering+game&sprefix=butchering+game

The basics are to separate the hide from the meat and the organs from the carcass. Sizing your knife to the game helps.

You do get over the "sickness" with time. The smell of the insides was what used to get me. I would gag but keep working. The smell hasn't bothered me for years now.

If nobody else tells you, its great of you to get back to your roots and start hunting. Its difficult where you are but stick with it.

mark46th
10-14-2011, 13:18
The first time I went quail hunting with my buddy, I was driving along and noticed that the shadow of my CB antenna had a little knob on it that shouldn't have been there. When we stopped for gas I noticed he had put a quail head on my antenna. He had also stuck one at each corner of my bumpers and one on my spare tire...

Dusty
10-16-2011, 08:40
Finally got to go huntin', but it didn't turn out real well...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7iaH69SJ4AI

Go Devil
10-16-2011, 11:30
...and if done properly will give you a nice rabbit puppit to keep yourself occupied during survival training.

Now that, is some funny shit!

Holy hell, that is funny!

Go Devil
10-16-2011, 12:00
I pitch small game in some water (Creek/Pond/Pail) to soak the undercoat. This does two things: Cools the animal and kills any skin parasites (fleas/ticks/mites). Keeps the fur matted so as to be less likely to stick to the meat.

I use a small, very sharp knife.

Pinch a thumb and index finger full of hide (fur&skin) at the base of the skull and make a cut just below the pinch. This should make a 1" incision.
Insert thumb and finger into incision and around neck.
Pull (you will not need a knife for this stage) fur at cut down from neck towards feet and tail.
Cut off feet, tail, and head with hatchet.
Insert knife under sternum and pull upwards toward neck, cutting through ribs next to sternum. Cut through pelvic ring in a similar fashion.
Gut like fish towards anus without spilling digestive contents onto flesh.

This process should take 3-5 minutes.

Check rabbits for white spots on liver; if spots are present, don't consume meat.

Save innards for bait.

Wash flesh in cool water, removing any hairs or offal.

Soak flesh in salt water overnight.

Boil flesh for 5-10 minutes (this will tenderize and mellow the taste for those not accustomed to eating wild game) then fry or grill.

Wearing gloves for the dressing process saves cleanup time and effort.

SLVGW360
10-16-2011, 16:41
Longstreet,

I grew up killing and cleaning various critters, both domestic and wild. What you experienced reminds me of cleaning pheasants. In my mind, they are quite tasty, but stink like all get out when you're cleaning them. I was fairly young at the time (early to mid-teens). If I cleaned one or more birds, I could not eat one for at least a day. The nausea caused by the smell stuck with me for the rest of the day. I never had that problem with mammals. Deer, elk, rabbits don't smell bad to me so I have never experience that problem with them. The visuals never did much, but my earliest memories of dead deer and elk are from when I was probably 4 years old.

Your being new to this likely plays a significant role, but I'm sure the QPs have a much better understanding of that than I. They get to see lots of young men who have never experienced this sort of thing and have to teach them through it. I too have seen new comers attempting to clean animals and it is sometimes lengthy and comical. A big part of my job is to serve the public, so I step in and offer advice so they can get the job done without making a horrible mess.

It will get better with time. Good luck and good for you! :lifter

RB

Traweek
10-16-2011, 19:08
My dad and I went when I was on Christmas leave in the course..

Habu-MFFI 175
11-28-2011, 09:21
Tree rats are some great eats and cleaning them gets easier with practice. I've been chasing small game as far back as I can rememeber so I've skinned loads of squirrels and still chase them today.:D

JK1500m
11-28-2011, 13:43
OP, where'd you shoot this squirrel? Head or chest? I have no idea how much damage your high-powered pellet gun is doing but a hollow point through the chest can open things up and make it messy for anyone cleaning a squirrel.

Typically, when I'm squirrel hunting I'll carry a ziplock bag and skin them within 10-15 minutes after killing them. How'd you try and skin it? My favorite method is lifting up the tail and slitting underneath until you get a flap of skin exposed. Step on this flap of skin (it's important its the skin and not the tail) with your boot grab the squirrel by its rear legs and pull. I use game or garden shears to cut off the feet and take the front and rear quarters and discard the rest. This may make life easier for you as you won't really be dealing with the entrails at all. However, eventually you'll have to deal with them if you wish to hunt larger game.

Once you practice it, it becomes an extremely quick process. Unfortunately I don't have any suggestions for your feeling queasy other than what's already been mentioned.