PDA

View Full Version : Woman runs marathon, gives birth that night

roosevelt83
10-11-2011, 23:21
Being from Chicago, this was a pretty big story here.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/tribnation/chi-amber-millers-chicago-marathon-20111011,0,557644.story

*woman (Fixed - Richard)

BigJimCalhoun
10-12-2011, 05:43
What is the local reaction to this? To me, this seems like a really bad idea.

rdret1
10-12-2011, 10:16
I heard several folks on the news saying how bad it was that she did that. I think she is a pretty tough chick. She was in excellent shape, she has run while pregnant before, and women have been working while pregnant for millenia. Only in the last 75 years or so has pregnancy been looked at as weakening condition. I say more power to her.

PedOncoDoc
10-12-2011, 11:04
I heard several folks on the news saying how bad it was that she did that. I think she is a pretty tough chick. She was in excellent shape, she has run while pregnant before, and women have been working while pregnant for millenia. Only in the last 75 years or so has pregnancy been looked at as weakening condition. I say more power to her.

In excellent shape and tough? Yes.

Displaying common sense and care for the welfare of her baby? IMHO, no. Not to mention the unseasonably warm weather in her AO this past weekend, and the number of heat casualties in recent years at the Chicago marathon.

There's a difference between working and running a marathon.

My $0.02...YMMV.

roosevelt83
10-12-2011, 12:03
The local reaction is positive. Her doctor allowed it and the baby came out healthy. Maybe it was selfish, but she was well prepared and did not go into this blind. Regardless, if you ever find yourself whining about how tough something is, no matter how tough the situation is, there is always tougher.

Gypsy
10-13-2011, 17:36
I thought it was really...something. Probably because there was a young firefighter, mid-30's from NC, who died 500 yards from the finish line. The autopsy was inconclusive.

http://articles.chicagotribune.com/2011-10-10/news/ct-met-marathon-death-20111011_1_coordinates-fire-prevention-efforts-autopsy-fireman