View Full Version : Russians turn to Israel

Roguish Lawyer
09-15-2004, 16:16
Interesting. Comments?

http://www.worldtribune.com/worldtribune/breaking_4.html

Russia rejects Powell's criticism, joins forces with Israel

SPECIAL TO WORLD TRIBUNE.COM
Wednesday, September 15, 2004
HERZLIYA, Israel – While rejecting U.S. and EU criticism of its anti-terrorism reforms, Russia plans to adopt Israel's counter-insurgency methods in Moscow's war against Chechen rebels.

Russian officials said the government in Moscow has agreed to increase security cooperation with Israel and focus on counter-insurgency. The officials said the cooperation would include Israeli training and instruction on a range of issues, including aviation security and civil defense.

"We are being helped by your expertise in the field of aviation security," Vladimir Vasilyev, chairman of the Security Committee of Russia's parliament, told Israeli reporters.

Vasilyev and other Russian officials said security cooperation was already taking place, Middle East Newsline reported. They said teams from both countries were arranging meetings in an effort meant to learn the lessons of the Chechen takeover of a high school in North Ossetia in late August. Nearly 400 people were killed in the hostage episode.

U.S. Secretary of State Colin Powell, in an interview with Reuters, backed liberal criticism in Russia by saying the changes were "pulling back on some of the democratic reforms".

But Russia's foreign minister said Washington had no right to impose its model of democracy on others.

"First of all, the processes that are under way in Russia are our internal affair," Sergei Lavrov said.

"And it is at least strange that, while talking about a certain 'pulling back', as he (Powell) put it, on some of the democratic reforms in the Russian Federation, he tried to assert yet one more time the thought that democracy can only be copied from someone's model," Lavrov said.

Lavrov met Israeli leaders last week and signed an accord meant to pave the way for a joint effort against Islamic insurgency groups.

"I want to express my support that you're giving us to solve security isues," Vasilyev told Israeli reporters at an international conference in Herzliya, which ended on Tuesday. "We will also continue cooperation in the field of protecting public places and will use Israel's experience. To be smarter and tougher, we will have to prepare our citizens."

Russian officials said Moscow was also examining the Israeli model of a civil guard, or auxiliary police, that can carry weapons and conduct searches.

They said this would require new legislation.

Israel and Russia also agreed to expand their intelligence exchange, particularly in the area of Islamic insurgency movements, officials said.

Officials said Israel would soon send a delegation of intelligence analysts to Moscow.

2VP
09-20-2004, 22:30
I almost pity would be terrorists who mess with Russia now. Oh wait no I don't. If you want to be the best then you might as well learn from the best. We all know that the Israel's have been doing this for decades now and doing a pretty good job considering they are under constant threat.

MAB32
09-25-2004, 16:51
And the King from the North will make a pact with Israel...

2VP
09-25-2004, 17:37
"And the King from the North will make a pact with Israel..."

Bible verse???

The Reaper
09-25-2004, 17:47
"And the King from the North will make a pact with Israel..."

Bible verse???

Nostradamus, IIRC.

TR

2VP
09-25-2004, 17:49
How does the rest of it go?

The Reaper
09-25-2004, 17:56
How does the rest of it go?

Google it.

There are books about it.

TR

Bravo1-3
09-25-2004, 18:11
It's from a fairly recent (in the last 30 years or so) interpretation of Daniel 11.

There's no direct biblical quotation where Israel makes a pact with the "King of the North". Rather, Israel is described as making a pact with the "King of the West", which leads to the eventual invasion by the King of the North and Armageddon.

MAB32
09-26-2004, 21:12
And some Escatologists will even go as far as saying that will want to take Israel by force during the the last 3 1/2 years of the Tribulation. Either way the Euphrates will either dry up via the Lord or by man and its river bed be used as a "high speed" highway to Meggido.

casey
10-09-2004, 20:21
I think this is a marriage borne of necessity.
The Russians (FSB) have a critical weakness in their ground, & air "real time" target assessment & infiltration ability in Chechnya. Without this, pre-emptive striking of the predominantly hardcore islamic jihadist or even nationalist groups is possible but not probable. The Russians however, are smart enough to know the Israeli's excell at same.
The Israeli's second biggest problem (after the VBIED's and martyrs of al-Aqsa, al Quassam, fatah, tanzem etc.) is the professional Russian criminal gangs now in place in Tel Aviv and the Central District that have immigrated within the past years, and are utilizing explosives to "level the field" and send a message to their competetion. Those taken into custody thus far show a diciplined military bearing and very discernible signatures in the construction of their IED's.
I'm betting the Alpha Team and Yamam will become fast friends.

Wiseman
10-12-2004, 20:45
I thought the FSB was doing a good job in Chechnya.