PDA

View Full Version : Non combat Mos nat guard to AD SF

tylerbethea
10-09-2011, 21:12
ok, so i've searched and searched on this site and can't find an answer to my question. even my recruiter can't seem to answer it. I am a 91C in the National Guard. E4 with 2 yrs service. Recently filled out a 368 and 4187 for transfer to active duty to pursue an 18X contract. my question is, i'm not an infantryman, i'm not airborne, none of that. so, because i'm a freakin POG, are they even gonna look at me at SFAS? Have you guys ever served with somebody that had a POG mos in the Guard that went AD SF?

Thanks
TB

Surgicalcric
10-10-2011, 02:35
ok, so i've searched and searched on this site and can't find an answer to my question. even my recruiter can't seem to answer it. I am a 91C in the National Guard. E4 with 2 yrs service. Recently filled out a 368 and 4187 for transfer to active duty to pursue an 18X contract. my question is, i'm not an infantryman, i'm not airborne, none of that. so, because i'm a freakin POG, are they even gonna look at me at SFAS? Have you guys ever served with somebody that had a POG mos in the Guard that went AD SF?

Thanks
TB

Tyler:

Yes there are non 11-series soldiers in SF who come from a wide array of different MOS's. You having been NG will not matter; how you perform and whether you have the mindset and outlook we are looking for will.

More reading, this has been covered before.

Crip

11Ber
10-10-2011, 05:55
Tyler:

Yes there are non 11-series soldiers in SF who come from a wide array of different MOS's. You having been NG will not matter; how you perform and whether you have the mindset and outlook we are looking for will.

More reading, this has been covered before.

Crip

I feel like I read this once a day. Where is this laziness coming from? Will you get looked at as a non-11 series? Are you fucking serious? What makes you think that only infantry guys are the only people prepared or capable becoming stellar SF soldiers? If this is the BS you are focused on or worried about maybe stay in your NG unit and then go tell "I was gonna go SF, BUT" stories.

Rant off

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 06:38
I feel like I read this once a day. Where is this laziness coming from? Will you get looked at as a non-11 series? Are you fucking serious? What makes you think that only infantry guys are the only people prepared or capable becoming stellar SF soldiers? If this is the BS you are focused on or worried about maybe stay in your NG unit and then go tell "I was gonna go SF, BUT" stories.

Rant off

11Ber,
it came from some ranger qualified guys in the infantry company telling me that in order to go to SFAS you have to first attend infantry school.
but understood and acknowledged i need to focus on more important things right now.
I'll go pack my ruck

cback0220
10-10-2011, 06:52
11Ber,
it came from some ranger qualified guys in the infantry company telling me that in order to go to SFAS you have to first attend infantry school.
but understood and acknowledged i need to focus on more important things right now.
I'll go pack my ruck

To be an 18X you would have to become an infantryman. This is true, however if you transfer and stay in your current MOS, you can just go to SFAS.

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 07:08
the process they have me doing is a total transfer from NG to AD. I'll be considered prior service, and an 18x. i could be wrong. I wasn't raised around the Army and haven't been in long enough to understand the way everything works. My dad was a Marine and they do things totally different.
I appreciate all the guidance from the QP's.

TB

Traweek
10-10-2011, 07:16

Thanks
TB

Take is from a guard guy with a non-combat arms MOS, no Ranger Tab, and had to ask someone how to pack a ruck the day I decided to go SF. I had to do SFAS twice because of injury during land-nav, but I went back 30 days later and didn't have a problem. That was my only hiccup during the entire course.

1. Be in shape (Round isn't a shape)
2. Stay motivated (a smile on your face while getting the hell smoked out of you goes a long way)
3. Listen (It only pisses people of to tell you twice, just like parents to kids)
4. BE A MAN (When it all goes to hell and people start whining, man the hell up and keep going)
5. Look people in the eye ( Goes along with BEING A MAN.)
6 Have a reason not excuse for everything. ( Don't cry or complain)

Your body will want to give up but, your mind will keep you in the game. You are going to be some aspect of cold, wet, and hungry at some point. This is when it separates people. Keep your head in the game and never quit.

Rules of L:
Don't be late
Don't be light
Don't be last
Don't be lost
Most importantly Don't be a Loser..

Guys,
If I have missed something or you think I'm wrong please feel free to add or correct me..

Joe

Dusty
10-10-2011, 07:48
Pick a spring or fall class date, so you don't get too hot or cold on ruck runs.

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 07:53
Pick a spring or fall class date, so you don't get too hot or cold on ruck runs.

Roger that Dusty. I've been running 3mi on Mon, ruck 1 hr 50lbs tues, upper body wed, 2mi run thur, and 6-12 mi ruck with 50-65lbs on sat. every other friday i pack an assault pack with 30lbs and go for a 3 mile hike with no socks. its already in th low 60's daily here

The Reaper
10-10-2011, 08:00
The Search button is your friend.

I can also recommend the SWCS SFAS PT Prep Guide.

TR

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 08:03
The Search button is your friend.
TR

Acknowledged. thank you.

TB

Traweek
10-10-2011, 08:04
Roger that Dusty. I've been running 3mi on Mon, ruck 1 hr 50lbs tues, upper body wed, 2mi run thur, and 6-12 mi ruck with 50-65lbs on sat. every other friday i pack an assault pack with 30lbs and go for a 3 mile hike with no socks. its already in th low 60's daily here

This sounds pretty decent. Remember to do push-ups and sit-ups daily, and I would wear socks. Your feet are going to harden anyways if you train. I never liked the no socks deal unless I was in some kind of barefoot shoe..

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 08:07
This sounds pretty decent. Remember to do push-ups and sit-ups daily, and I would wear socks. Your feet are going to harden anyways if you train. I never liked the no socks deal unless I was in some kind of barefoot shoe..

i don't remember who exactly, but somebody told me that if you get a blister on your feet in selection you get dropped for failure to prepare for the course. i'm not gonna bust my ass to get dropped for a blister.

TB

Traweek
10-10-2011, 08:11
i don't remember who exactly, but somebody told me that if you get a blister on your feet in selection you get dropped for failure to prepare for the course. i'm not gonna bust my ass to get dropped for a blister.

TB

Someone lied to you.. PM me your questions and I'll help you get them answered if I can.. Lets close out this thread. Most of this stuff is covered here..

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=26

http://professionalsoldiers.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=27

The Reaper
10-10-2011, 13:23

TB

You need to quit listening to idiots, do your own homework/research, and decide how badly you want this and what you are willing to do to get it.

If you are just doing this to impress someone else, save yourself (and us) the time and trouble. Cowboy up or stay home.

TR

greenberetTFS
10-10-2011, 15:00
I haven't seen this mentioned yet,so here goes... "Get Selected for Special Forces" by Major Joe Martin on How to Successfully Complete Assessment and Selection........ Best piece of meaningful information I've ever read on becoming a Green Beret... Wish it was available when I went thru the Q,it would have helped a lot.......;)

Big Teddy :munchin

tylerbethea
10-10-2011, 17:25
You need to quit listening to idiots, do your own homework/research, and decide how badly you want this and what you are willing to do to get it.

If you are just doing this to impress someone else, save yourself (and us) the time and trouble. Cowboy up or stay home.

TR

Understood TR. wont ask any more questions. Cause I'm committed to this 100%. didn't realize i looked like such a douche bag in the process.

TB

sleepyhead4
10-10-2011, 21:41
I don't think you are or looked like a douche bag. You just appeared to be the naive type, who took non-SF guys' "tips" to heart. Remember, those guys who told you all the useless lies are not SF. So what they are telling you is either hearsay or something they just made up. Listen to the NCOs in here and thoroughly prepare before you step up to bat.

VVVV
10-11-2011, 05:51
I haven't seen this mentioned yet,so here goes... "Get Selected for Special Forces" by Major Joe Martin on How to Successfully Complete Assessment and Selection........ Best piece of meaningful information I've ever read on becoming a Green Beret... Wish it was available when I went thru the Q,it would have helped a lot.......;)

Big Teddy :munchin

It would have been very heavy back then, carved onto stone tablets! :D

1stindoor
10-11-2011, 07:27
^^hahaha...wish I had said that!

Utah Bob
10-11-2011, 07:27
Understood TR. wont ask any more questions. Cause I'm committed to this 100%. didn't realize i looked like such a douche bag in the process.

TB

A lot of us were pretty doucheable when we started out.:)

Good luck to you. Keep us posted.

tylerbethea
10-11-2011, 08:38
i appreciate all the help and advice from you guys. i see now how i've screwed up by listening to other non-SF soldiers instead of QP's. I've only met two my whole life, both in a JROTC unit, a LTC and a 1SG, both retired. the 1SG is who got me motivated to do this in the first place. don't know if any of you guys ever served with him.....graduated in '72, was a black hat sometime in the 80's. was a 18B.
i'm off topic so i'll shut up now. i'll go do p.t

TB

ZonieDiver
10-11-2011, 09:41
i appreciate all the help and advice from you guys. i see now how i've screwed up by listening to other non-SF soldiers instead of QP's. I've only met two my whole life, both in a JROTC unit, a LTC and a 1SG, both retired. the 1SG is who got me motivated to do this in the first place. don't know if any of you guys ever served with him.....graduated in '72, was a black hat sometime in the 80's. was a 18B.
i'm off topic so i'll shut up now. i'll go do p.t

TB

One helpful tip right off the bat: watch your commo skills! Capitalization, puncuation, and grammar are important components of communication - in SF and here on PS.com.

Thanks!

tylerbethea
10-11-2011, 11:58
One helpful tip right off the bat: watch your commo skills! Capitalization, puncuation, and grammar are important components of communication - in SF and here on PS.com.

Thanks!

Wilco ZD. Thanks

TB