PDA

View Full Version : Leonard "Len" Whistler AKA "Lynn"

Franz
10-06-2011, 05:58
The Specialty Operations and Intel community have lost another one of our finest with the passing of Len Whistler this past weekend.

I knew Len a long time and considered him a good comrade and friend. We took part in both training exercises and operations in many nasty, flea-bitten corners of the world. He was MI and took well our many innocent jokes and remarks my fellow QPs know too well amongst our peers.

He was an excellent intel analyst and will be missed.

His memorial service is being held this Saturday, 06 October 1300 hours, at Ft Bragg JFK Chapel. I am heading that way. He loved supporting SF so if you can swing by and pay your respects, it would mean a lot.

Arlington to follow in the future but not yet scheduled. More later...

Franz

JimP
10-06-2011, 07:16
Franz - I what happened...??? I remember Len when he reported in to the 705th MID back in the day. Bumped into him in various venues throughout the years but the last time I saw him in person was when he left active duty circa 2005-ish?? I know he had recently met up with ratman and I got no feedback that his health was jacked.

PM me if you think item not of interest to the larger audience.

ODA 226
10-06-2011, 09:17
Len called me less than 2 months ago and told me he had throat cancer and was going to the hospital to get evaluated. He asked me to get a message to Franz to call him.

I called Len on Tuesday. He didn't answer so I left him a message. I called Franz afterwords and got the bad news...

Franz, Len and I were in FRY in 1995/96. In early 1996, I was arrested by the JNA and interrogated for over 12 hours. The nice JNA Colonel kept asking me about my relationship to "LEO-nard Vee-stler", where he was located and his actions in Priboj. He threatened to shoot me if I didn't tell him everything he wanted to know.

I saw Len two years ago at Bragg and I told him about what happened and asked him why the Serbs wanted him so badly. He just smiled and said, "Maybe someday I'll be able to tell you."

It looks like I'll never know.

Len was a great guy, a great friend. We love him and will miss him.

JJ_BPK
10-06-2011, 09:32
RIP Warrior, Vaya con Dios...

greenberetTFS
10-06-2011, 10:00
God Bless,Rest in Peace Warrior...........:(

He was just a simple soldier and his ranks are growing thin
But his presence should remind us; we may need his like again,
For when countries are in conflict, then we find the soldier's part
Is to clean up all the troubles that the politicians start.
If we cannot do him honor while he's here to hear the praise,
Then at least let's give him homage at the ending of his days.

Perhaps just a simple headline in the paper that might say:
OUR COUNTRY IS IN MOURNING, FOR A SOLDIER DIED TODAY. (author unknown)

The passing of our soldiers often go unnoticed and unsung by most of the world, remembered only by family and friends. Wish it were not so. May he RIP, his family will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Big Teddy

rdret1
10-06-2011, 17:56
Rest in Peace.

Red Flag 1
10-06-2011, 20:12
Rest In God's Peace.

Stras
10-09-2011, 14:04
RIP

Mike Spight
10-12-2011, 09:16
I am shocked and saddened to read of his passing.

I met Len when we were both ROTC Cadets at the University of Southern Mississippi in the late 70s. Len did not complete the program for some reason, and I later bumped into him at Ft. Bragg in the early-mid 90s. IIRC, he was an SSG. and we got together on occasion at the GB Club for lunch or beers after work.

He was, as others have pointed out, an MI guy and did a fair amount of time ISO various SF or other units over the course of his career. Intelligent, articulate, inquisitive...he had all the right tools for his chosen calling.

Len and another ROTC bud and I used to spend a fair amount of time shooting pistols at a local gravel pit just outside of the Hattiesburg city limits...setting up humanoid targets and scenarios...he was pretty focused on shooting back then.

RIP Len...sorry we did not stay in touch to a greater degree...Vaya Con Dios, Mano.

ZonieDiver
10-12-2011, 10:42
Rest In Peace.

SF_BHT
10-12-2011, 16:30
Rest in Peace!!!!

Earl_J
10-14-2011, 21:29
All very true ... I miss him . . . :(

98G
10-25-2011, 12:25
A picture of Len from Iraq and one of him held by his brothers.

Len was fortunate to have a great family. His mother was a WAC during WWII and she set the tone for the day of remembrance, humor and exceptional grace.

As for the gentleman behind the two brothers, one can only speculate. Maybe Richard will recognize him.

Rest in Peace, Len.

Richard
10-30-2011, 05:31
The distinguished looking 'silver back' behind Len's brothers is the former 1-0 of RT Nebraska, a fine SF soldier, friend, and retired Team Sergeant.

RIP, Len - your presence is missed greatly by many.

ODA 226
10-31-2011, 09:43
The distinguished looking 'silver back' behind Len's brothers is the former 1-0 of RT Nebraska, a fine SF soldier, friend, and retired Team Sergeant.

RIP, Len - your presence is missed greatly by many.

Yep! "Schatzi" and I were on 226 together many years ago.

98G
11-28-2011, 13:00
For those in the DC area, Len's burial at Arlington is scheduled for Dec 13. More to follow as I have it. ODA 226, your Schatzi will be there.