PDA

View Full Version : Achilles feels like a rope

lindy
10-03-2011, 09:29
I am a SF support soldier who is 41 and consider myself in decent shape. I just scored a 285 (81 p/u, 65 s/u, and 14:15 run) but have noticed a nagging problem with my Achilles tendon that I must heal within the next week or so.

I'm preparing for the Ranger Training and Assessment Course (RTAC is the new Guard Pre-Ranger) and during a 6 ruck with 45lbs at 15 min pace, I noticed a tightness in my left Achilles. I simply thought it was due to slight dehydration and insufficient stretching.

Next day during a 10 mile run (tried to maintain a 8 min/mile pace) my Achilles was very tight and painful; so much so, that I stopped running at mile 7 and literally limped home (note: always carry a cell phone when that far from home!!!). Later that night, I soaked in a hot bath and used icy hot. Next day, my Achilles was crazy tight and actually sounded/felt like a natural fiber rope on the O-course.

I took a week off from running and rucking (using the bike only) and then ran the APFT this weekend. Achilles is still tight and painful, although much less so but still has that fiberous feeling when stretched.

Here's the issue: I'm 11 days out from RTAC. Any advice how I can increase the healing process? I'm already using RICE with Motrin and it seems to be helping but I have to fix this so I can focus on RTAC to enable me to transition into Ranger class 02-12 which starts on 30 Oct.

Appreciate any suggestions.

lindy
10-06-2011, 16:23
Civilian Doc put me in a boot cast and said it was an overuse injury. Cast feel awesome as it has taken ALL the pressure off the tendon. Of course, he couldn't say if it will be ready for RTAC next Friday. Cast, stretching, motrin, hydration, and time are all I have to work with now.

LESSON: don't be a dumbass in training. Stop if it doesn't feel right and wait for the real test to "Ranger through the pain".

I know better. This is going to make Ranger school that much harder.

MTN Medic
10-18-2011, 18:27
FWIW, I had this issue and it was simply calf tightness. The achilles is the point where the calf connects to the foot. Not seeing your foot, i would say that the doc is right in his diagnosis, but calf stretching exercises should prevent this from happening again.

As I get older, I have noticed the need to actually stretch for real and this has helped my injury prevention in spades. Foam rollers are great. I would get with a PT to get you on a regimine that would work for you after the acute issues are taken care of.

lindy
10-18-2011, 18:40
FWIW, I had this issue and it was simply calf tightness. The achilles is the point where the calf connects to the foot. Not seeing your foot, i would say that the doc is right in his diagnosis, but calf stretching exercises should prevent this from happening again.

As I get older, I have noticed the need to actually stretch for real and this has helped my injury prevention in spades. Foam rollers are great. I would get with a PT to get you on a regimine that would work for you after the acute issues are taken care of.

Appreciate the info. I tried to nurse it as to not injure it more and ended up getting dropped from the course so I'm back here in COS doing exactly as you've suggested.

I must say though...the altitude here (7K at my house) is sweet for training!