PDA

View Full Version : Forward Assist

dfclin073
10-02-2011, 07:27
I recently purchased an S&W MP15 Sporter, this particular model does not come with a Forward Assist. After eight years in the military I cannot recall any time I needed to use the forward assist. I assume, based on my limited knowledge and experience, if an operator pulls the charging handle all the way to the rear and does not ride the bolt forward the bolt should lock properly removing the need for a forward assist. How many times have you used the forward assist?

Peregrino
10-02-2011, 08:21
After looking up your MOS (35 yrs in & around the Army and I've never heard of it) I'm not surprised you've never needed a forward assist. FWIW - Using one means you're about two trigger squeezes from total failure - it's time to clean and lubricate before something really embarrassing happens.

bubba
10-02-2011, 08:50
I was at the range last night and had to use it. I was shooting my new 14.5 inch upper with minimal lube and on mag 5 or so. I only needed it when I changed to mag 6 and 7 to get a positive lock. Re-loading a dirty gun with min or no lube is the only times that I have had to use it.

Team Sergeant
10-02-2011, 08:54
After looking up your MOS (35 yrs in & around the Army and I've never heard of it) I'm not surprised you've never needed a forward assist. FWIW - Using one means you're about two trigger squeezes from total failure - it's time to clean and lubricate before something really embarrassing happens.

I was thinking the same thing when I saw the MOS.

Also, I liked to use the forward assist to "quietly" seat the bolt in many situations.:munchin

33army
10-03-2011, 07:49
I've had to use it in a few situations. Apparently sand storms and M4's don't really go well together.

45K40
10-03-2011, 14:47
Forward assist comes in handy to close the bolt after draining water from the barrel,

45K40

dfclin073
10-04-2011, 04:35
Thank you all for your instructive information, I really appreciate you guys taking your time and helping me out. I do have one further question on this topic. I’ve tried to do my homework both on this site and on the web. In doing so I came up upon this article [\url] Please feel free to read from that website all you like, just don't post anything here concerning them, Team Sergeant, basically the author suggests that a heavy buffer and stronger buffer spring will increase reliability with the M4. My question is would replacing these parts on an m4 mitigate some of the need to use the forward assist?

MTN Medic
10-07-2011, 18:18
I haven't needed the forward assist, because I USE the forward assist. YMMV

Peregrino
10-07-2011, 19:43
Thank you all for your instructive information, I really appreciate you guys taking your time and helping me out. I do have one further question on this topic. I’ve tried to do my homework both on this site and on the web. In doing so I came up upon this article [\url] Please feel free to read from that website all you like, just don't post anything here concerning them, Team Sergeant, basically the author suggests that a heavy buffer and stronger buffer spring will increase reliability with the M4. My question is would replacing these parts on an m4 mitigate some of the need to use the forward assist?

No.

Combat Diver
10-09-2011, 20:47
Used the FA many times, many for seating the bolt quitely after exiting the water and draining, press check before rolling out on convoy or entering a house. Only used it a few times in 25 yrs during friing to reseat the bolt however.

CD

GWL
10-16-2011, 10:28
Used the FA many times, many for seating the bolt quitely after exiting the water and draining, press check before rolling out on convoy or entering a house. Only used it a few times in 25 yrs during friing to reseat the bolt however.

CD +1. I was just getting ready to relate the quiet bolt closing when I saw this response. Admittedly this is from 49 years ago but back then, night in dense foliage was very dark. No one wanted to betray an ambush by an inadvertent discharge because the safety had been moved by dense foliage. Nothing in the chamber until needed. The assist kept the bolt closure quiet. May not be current SOP but it was at one time.

Abu Jack
10-16-2011, 13:23
Every time I had a malfunction. See 5 below.

Describe the proper procedure for applying immediate action with the M16/A2.

1.Slaps gently upward on the magazine to ensure it is fully seated, and the magazine follower is not jammed.
2.Pulls the charging handle fully to the rear.
3.Observes for the ejection of a live round or expended cartridge. (If the weapon fails to eject a cartridge, perform remedial action.)
4.Releases the charging handle (do not ride it forward).
5.Taps the forward assist assembly to ensure bolt closure.
6.Squeezes the trigger and tries to fire the rifle.

weberk
11-29-2011, 13:12
During my 4 years at SFARTAETC and years in C/1-1 I have seen enough times where people should have used the forward assist and didn't after doing "press" checks at the end of the taught loading procedures that I can't give an accurate guess.

For myself, as already stated, I used mine every time I performed SPORTS which is beyond count.